Emergency 911 Help!!!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
who bumps a table to see if a spider is alive? and knocks it until it dies?
Same kind of person who would do something like
I thought my spider was dead because he was lying upside down from a molt for a while so i misted water and he flipped right over.
In other words, someone who still has a few more things to learn about tarantula husbandry.
The OP has had a 6 year headstart though.

bball_frk23

Arachnopeon
I just love how the guy seemed legitimately upset about it and was looking for help, and all people were doing is fighting about whether T's molt right side up or not. lol :clap:

michael nelson

Arachnopeon
This is the closest thing I could find, but I was wondering if my antilles pink toe is possibly in pre molt, just got it and its darker than most slings I've seen online, its about 3/4 an inch and it supposedly ate a couple days ago, but now it wont eat these little crickets I got and additionally I can't tell for sure but I think the abdomen may be larger than normal, I'm hoping its premolt, and im not super worried I just don't know if I should just wait and leave it alone or if there's something more I can do for my little baby esi

Attachments

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This is the closest thing I could find, but I was wondering if my antilles pink toe is possibly in pre molt, just got it and its darker than most slings I've seen online, its about 3/4 an inch and it supposedly ate a couple days ago, but now it wont eat these little crickets I got and additionally I can't tell for sure but I think the abdomen may be larger than normal, I'm hoping its premolt, and im not super worried I just don't know if I should just wait and leave it alone or if there's something more I can do for my little baby esi

This is a pre-molt C. versicolor sling. I know it looks like it's eating, but that was the shell of a mealworm they incorporated into their webbing.

michael nelson

Arachnopeon

This is a pre-molt C. versicolor sling. I know it looks like it's eating, but that was the shell of a mealworm they incorporated into their webbing.
Thx so much for your super fast response, if this is what premolt looks like I feel kinda bad, cause I didn't know and I kinda messed up my spiders web, also she is a tad less furry and a bit more shiny, do you think it's premolt for sure?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Thx so much for your super fast response, if this is what premolt looks like I feel kinda bad, cause I didn't know and I kinda messed up my spiders web, also she is a tad less furry and a bit more shiny, do you think it's premolt for sure?
Your little one does look like it's in premot, granted the picture isn't the clearest, and it can be hard to know anything "for sure" even if the tarantula is in your possession. These creatures love to keep you guessing. The best course of action to take (much of the time) is to just watch and wait. Or, post a question here (in a new thread, you'll get more help that way ;)), because everyone here absolutely loves these animals, and will jump at the chance to help a new keeper give their T the best care they can. @miss moxie is a perfect example with her quick reply. She didn't even give you a hard time for resurrecting an ancient thread :p

Also, if you really do want the best life for your spider, I would recommend against handling it. I wasn't going to say anything the first time I saw your post, but I just get so nervous when I see such a tiny T in a big human hand. I understand the urge to hold your pet, especially after all the pictures and videos we all see of people handling their T's. It just really does nothing more than for the spider than stress it out and put it at risk.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd say definitely yes from your picture, so leave them alone because they're very fragile when they're approaching a molt and directly after a molt.

And agreed, handling tarantulas at best stresses the spider out and at worst results in a dead tarantula.

Feel Camile

Arachnopeon
Well, I came to my pink toe T dry and not moving at all. I touched her a few times to make sure she had passed. She didn't move. So we left her there hanging in her web waiting for the right time to go bury her for her little funeral. We've left her there for at least a little over a week, and she hadnt moved at all. So we left the top off and haven't watered her in over a week...so I went to go remove some of her furniture and plants so that we could get her out, then she moved! I couldn't believe she was still alive and that I haven't even been misting her to help her molt because I thought she was dead, because she wouldn't move at all. It's been like a little over a week and today is the first time I started misting her, so she's trying really hard to get out and it seems to be looking good... if I didn't know already that she had been dried up and trapped in that skin for over a week! So stay tuned to see if she makes it through the night. We're very excited and happy, but we feel really bad that we didn't try to mist her, or even water her at all because we thought she passed. She just wasn't moving at all before, and now showing energy to molt? That's a first for me. I'll let y'all know what happens! Pray for us. Her name is Rainah.

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Well, I came to my pink toe T dry and not moving at all. I touched her a few times to make sure she had passed. She didn't move. So we left her there hanging in her web waiting for the right time to go bury her for her little funeral. We've left her there for at least a little over a week, and she hadnt moved at all. So we left the top off and haven't watered her in over a week...so I went to go remove some of her furniture and plants so that we could get her out, then she moved! I couldn't believe she was still alive and that I haven't even been misting her to help her molt because I thought she was dead, because she wouldn't move at all. It's been like a little over a week and today is the first time I started misting her, so she's trying really hard to get out and it seems to be looking good... if I didn't know already that she had been dried up and trapped in that skin for over a week! So stay tuned to see if she makes it through the night. We're very excited and happy, but we feel really bad that we didn't try to mist her, or even water her at all because we thought she passed. She just wasn't moving at all before, and now showing energy to molt? That's a first for me. I'll let y'all know what happens! Pray for us. Her name is Rainah.
You shouldn’t be misting her at all.

boina

Lady of the mites
The reason she survived is because you did NOT mist her - stop misting immediately and never do it again. It's the misting that's slowly killing her.

Misting and this 'humidity' nonsense is the number one reason for Avic deaths. Avics should be kept dry with a water dish, always. Misting does not help with molting, in fact it may kill the molting spider, so will you please stop that!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If by misting you mean misting your spider directly, you need to immediately STOP doing that.
If you give a light spritz on the sides...meh. But never put water on your spider. They don't need that.
Top off the waterdish and leave her be.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The reason she survived is because you did NOT mist her - stop misting immediately and never do it again. It's the misting that's slowly killing her.
If you think she is not going to her water dish, you make a little pool in the webbing so that she can drink from that. (Don't spray the spider or "mist" the enclosure or webbing.)