Electrostatic warnings and LEDs

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I received 5 high-ouput rigid LED strips today (1010 Lm output at 50 degrees C), and there is a warning on the package that says:
"CAUTION!
ELECTROSTATIC
SENSITIVE
DEVICES
DO NOT OPEN OR HANDLE

EXCEPT AT A
STATIC-FREE WORKSTATION"
It also has what I now know to be the standard electrostatic warning symbol (the little hand with the slash through it in the triangle). If I had known when ordering that I would have to take special precautions to put these things in place in a terrarium (I need very bright lights to grow carnivorous plants, though this might be overkill), I may not have bothered...but here we are. How vulnerable might these be to electrostatic overloads? Apparently precautions can involve a grounded table and static-free clothes, shoes, gloves, etc.--how important are these? I cannot transport my terrarium from where it is right now. Is the static only an issue if I touch the electrodes? To what degree, if any, is the company simply trying not to be sued? I believe I have access to a static-free workstation, but it's more the static that I'm sure I produce naturally that concerns me.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a feeling that it might just be a warning label to cover the manufacturers a$$e$ but im most certainly not an electrician.
Im sure there are LED terrarium lights that would be cheap enough to give you very high lighting (beamswork is my recommendation), how come youre building a DIY?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I have a feeling that it might just be a warning label to cover the manufacturers a$$e$ but im most certainly not an electrician.
Im sure there are LED terrarium lights that would be cheap enough to give you very high lighting (beamswork is my recommendation), how come youre building a DIY?
Didn't know anything else existed, but even if I had, I'd probably do it this way, for two reasons.
1. It's probably cheaper by default.
2. I already had a terrarium lying around.
Additionally, this is a really, really high light output. I'm not sure how easily I could find a prefab with that much light. Plus, it's relatively simple and a good thing to learn how to do.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
ALL electronic devices that have transistors, silicon semiconductors, are subject to catastrophic destruction from static discharge. LE Diodes being one of them.
That being said, the chances of such a discharge are usually very low. But if you are one of the freaky types that develops static, or wears clothes that zap you or others, or have furnishings in your house that tend to wake you up better than coffee when you grab a doorknob, discharge yourself. That doesn't sound quite right - nice. Touching the case of a grounded appliance or the metal of a cold water pipe before handling silicon devices usually suffices.

Keeping the leads of LED arrays shorted together until you plug them in also protects them. Or always do your electrical work while sitting in a bath filled with salt water, a certified, guaranteed static (but not death) free workstation. Put me in your will before trying that one, if you would be so kind.

The plan is avoiding the LED or whatever device being a conductor between yourself and a ground.

Last edited: