Eight legged can-openers

Paolo Rolfo

Arachnopeon
I love mesh top enclosure because it provide better ventilation, better protection against Phoridae who are known to be parasite host and last because it provide better see through to the inner enclosure without reflection.
I know mesh can give claws stuck problems but this never happened with mine.
I know frail mesh should not be use for safety reason so mosquito mesh made by polyester, fiberglass and thin Aluminium need to be avoided but industry offer some nice AISI 304/316 mesh with enough strenght to handle our pet worst behaviour
Here my inox net enclosure abf5e3daf2e74ff.jpg
e75b7104eb1642b.jpg
hole size are about 1,5/2mm the rope is hard to cut with electrician scissor .
My mesh is INOX with a surface treatment ( electro coating) who look darker than the photo i have posted

Dorifto

He who moists xD
It's not the finish, galvanization or not, the one that creates problems, but the round shape of the wire.

If a claw gets stuck, and the T hangs, eg from one leg, they won't be able to release that claw, as this claw has the same round shape that the wires, and since they are hanging from it, they won't be able to apply any upward force to release it.

Not mentioning the spring like pressure it can apply, eg if the T tries to bite it, leaving the fangs stuck too...

PS: check the thread starting date 😉

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I always thought it was the nature of woven wire mesh that caused issues in that the claw gets stuck/pinched in between two wires and the T actually gets stuck. I rather doubt that a T gets stuck merely because it can't let go of a round wire.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I always thought it was the nature of woven wire mesh that caused issues in that the claw gets stuck/pinched in between two wires and the T actually gets stuck. I rather doubt that a T gets stuck merely because it can't let go of a round wire.
Yeah, the round nature 🤣🤣🤣🤣, but yes, they can get stuck between both wires too. But both times I found mine hanging from one leg was from a clean wire, with the claws on top, nothing else.

Imagin like you are hanging from one wire by a hook, unless you make an upward movement to release that hook, you will be hanging forever, because gravity keep it locked.

PS: galvanization could help a bit, making the surface more slippery, so the claws would have less resistance to free themselves.

Last edited:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Yeah, the round nature 🤣🤣🤣🤣, but yes, they can get stuck between both wires too. But both times I found mine hanging from one leg was from a clean wire, with the claws on top, nothing else.

Imagin like you are hanging from one wire by a hook, unless you make an upward movement to release that hook, you will be hanging forever, because gravity keep it locked.

PS: galvanization could help a bit, making the surface more slippery, so the claws would have less resistance to free themselves.
Maybe if the spider had just the one leg...I really don't see how it would get stuck. Why could it not just walk over to the wall of the enclosure using all 8 legs?

I'm not convinced.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Maybe if the spider had just the one leg...I really don't see how it would get stuck. Why could it not just walk over to the wall of the enclosure using all 8 legs?

I'm not convinced.
I'm not trying to convince you, I was simply describing how it happened to me and in most cases.

In the next video you can clearly see the most common situation, where the T climbs the enclosure, reaches the mesh and starts to climb backwards, then for some reason suddenly looses grip on the glass and slips, so the claws get stuck on top of the wire. As you can see, as soon as it's lifted up a bit, the T frees it's leg easily. If the T looses grip whe the front leg is far enough, then it gets hung without any possibility to have grip again.

I believe that time ago someonenposted a clear picture of a claw on a mesh.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I been having a problem with few of them,
They just terrible!, no mater how secure I lock em up they brake out!, Totally destroying enclosures
here is 4" metal vent, ripped off

and I been watching them and soon is I rehouse them in different enclosure they check out for vents and right On IT!
Gahhhhh! What Am I gona do with them!???!
Not surprised at all. I have an adult tarantula that sticks their fangs through the vent holes on their Kritter Keeper and start to pull. It cannot break the plastic at 5 inches we'll see what happens when it gets bigger.

I would never use any type of mesh for any of my tarantulas...never.

Paolo Rolfo

Arachnopeon
But both times I found mine hanging from one leg was from a clean wire, with the claws on top, nothing else.

I dont think galvanization make any difference ! Tarantula foot have either scopulae (Latin name sry i dont know english name of this foot anatomic part) and claws.
Stuck at first seems to be related to claws and sure it is involved but i was looking in to scopulae fail maybe due some oil/grease on metal wire.

Paolo Rolfo

Arachnopeon
Not surprised at all. I have an adult tarantula that sticks their fangs through the vent holes on their Kritter Keeper and start to pull. It cannot break the plastic at 5 inches we'll see what happens when it gets bigger.

I would never use any type of mesh for any of my tarantulas...never.
very impressive destructive tarantula iam a bit scared seeing thats, maybe your net its made by aluminium or a very thin galvanized iron mesh ( zinc coating).
I am sure my Inox mesh its not damageable from any tarantula on earth but they can stuck as reported by dorifto unfortunately .
I trying to understand this problem to avoid mine get stuck

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
very impressive destructive tarantula iam a bit scared seeing thats, maybe your net its made by aluminium or a very thin galvanized iron mesh ( zinc coating).
I am sure my Inox mesh its not damageable from any tarantula on earth but they can stuck as reported by dorifto unfortunately .
I trying to understand this problem to avoid mine get stuck
It all depends on the gauge of metal you're using. Hopefully other members can better explain the type of mesh that tarantulas get their legs stuck on.

All I know is the type of mesh on Exo Terra. Not only legs get stuck but adult tarantulas can rip them open with their fangs and escape.

Paolo Rolfo

Arachnopeon
It all depends on the gauge of metal you're using. Hopefully other members can better explain the type of mesh that tarantulas get their legs stuck on.

All I know is the type of mesh on Exo Terra. Not only legs get stuck but adult tarantulas can rip them open with their fangs and escape.
I suggest EXO TERRA to change mesh from the top enclosure ! its not the first time i read about both this problems

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yes I already knew this. First thing I do is rip it out and replace with 1/8 acryllic with vent holes put in.
That's the easiest method imho, remove one, glue the other.

Acrylic, way thicker wire mesh, perforated aluminium or stainless steel grilles... All of them work fine.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I dont think galvanization make any difference ! Tarantula foot have either scopulae (Latin name sry i dont know english name of this foot anatomic part) and claws.
Stuck at first seems to be related to claws and sure it is involved but i was looking in to scopulae fail maybe due some oil/grease on metal wire.
It could, very minor, but still possible, as it reduces friction, so the claws can free more easily.

Regarding to the scopula, while they hang on the mesh, they mainly use their tarsal claws. But they use it while they climb smooth surfaces like glass. And it's the mix of both what causes most issues. The scopula slips, looses grip, one leg is on a wire, and the rest is well known.