Egyptian Sand Scorpion

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was at a local pet store today that fish place in lancaster pa. And they had 3 scorpions listed as egyptian sand scorpions. Anybody know what they could be they kinda look like opistophthalmus species. Ill post some pics later. :)

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If they are large clawed and, as you say, very similar to Opistophthalmus scorps, they are probably (99% odds) Scorpio maurus, but the name Sand Scorpion is more commonly used to refer to Buthacus arenicola.

adios,
edw. ;)

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they look like Opistophthalmus I’m not sure. A picture would really help. I believe Buthacus arenicola are going by that common name; however, they do not have heavy claws like the different species of Opistophthalmus.

W. Smith

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hum i thougth that buthacus arrencola was a mediterania yellow...... o wait thats buthis arrencola oops

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I need too get the film developed im doing things the old fashioned way pain in the but. They are pretty dark pretty small guys yet extremly good burrowers. There claws are somewhat big but doesent seem as fat as scorpio maurus i need too get the film developed.:p

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Andrew
hum i thougth that buthacus arrencola was a mediterania yellow...... o wait thats buthis arrencola oops

That would be Buthus occitanus occitanus (Mediterranean Yellow Scorpion). Buthus occitanus israelis would be the Common Yellow Scorpion. I am unsure about the rest of the subspecies common names. All other subspecies of Buthus occitanus are as follows:

barcaeus , berberensis, malhommei, mardochei, nigrovesiculosus, paris, tridentatus, tunetanus.

adios,
edw. :?