Egg Sack Questions...

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
#1) Why do people remove the egg sack from the mother? I assume there is a reason you want to take the sack away from her... Otherwise it just seems kinda mean.

#2) How do you care for an egg sack? What are the required steps and set up?

#3) What is a phantom egg sack exactly?

#4) When do baby spiders go from living together as siblings to seeing each other as competition and eating each other?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
1. To reduce chances of female destroying eggsac

2. Make up an incubator and keep at right conditions for the species.

3. Phantom sac is when female that hasnt been mated lays an egg sac. They sometimes do this. Even very young females.

4. Most species should be separated as soon as they reach 2i

Theneil

Arachnoprince
KezyGLA pretty much covered everything. i just thought i'd ad to #3. a "phantom" sac will not be fertile, so there is no need to incubate one.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
To add to #1, it'd also make accounting for all the slings and separating them a gazillion times easier than trying to get them out of mother spood's enclosure after they emerge from the sac.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
To add to #4, sticking together isn’t always helpful in wild animals. There isn’t always enough resources to go around. Once they’re able to catch prey on their own is when they’re separated by breeders. They eat each other due to them being in close proximity to one another and competition. Similar to how snakes will scatter after hatching to maximize the chance of them being able to find prey.