1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Egg Sack.....advice needed

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by HollyLS, Jul 30, 2007.

1. HollyLS

HollyLS Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I have a female A. hentzi that just laid an eggsack. She was from Oklahoma where her habitat was being destroyed.......my point in saying that is I didn't breed her.

Now I have an eggsack to care for. I have her enclosure humid and covered. I have a couple of things I am unsure about and am looking for answers:

~How many eggs do A. hentzi generally have in a sack?

~I know people have differing opinions on leaving the sack w/Mom vs. taking the sack away at some point. I'd like to hear those opinions so I can make an educated decision on how to proceed.

~I was told 40-50 days to hatch, is this correct?

~Does anyone have experience hatching out specifically A. hentzi eggsacks?

Any help/info/opinions from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Holly

2. hentzi are generaly good mothers. just leave her alone undisturbed and take the sac in 40 days. you should have at least eggs with legs by then . then divide them out into coffee filters and set them up in a container wher ethe humidity will stay high and warm . after 2nd instar you can divide them into some codiment cups ...

3. HollyLS

HollyLS Arachnopeon

Any idea on what the # range of eggs might be in that sack?

4. Varden

Varden Arachnodemon Old Timer

Kansas
    You can have a lot. 250+

5. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

i believe Aphonopelma are typically in the 150-600 range

6. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

Many!!!
    [​IMG]

If memory serves me correct, about 40 days I opened the sac which had "legs with eggs"

Yep

Not really much to do. Pull it in about 40 days or so, open it up and put sac on some very slightly damp peat. After they molt you can start separating them into vials (be sure to stock up coz you're gonna need them!)

7. id expect no less than 150 and prob more in the 300 range lol

8. HollyLS

HollyLS Arachnopeon

9. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

10. or leave them together till your down to a managable number :p

11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Arachnoangel

bumping an oldish thread.... for the specific comment above mine. I read that opinion as well in the Schultz' book... weeds out any T's for sure, that may not have made it in the wild. Does anyone else do this? I ask as my hentzi sac will be pulled from mom next Thursday and am wondering about the prospect of up to 600 slings...

12. apidaeman

apidaeman Arachnoknight

OKC
    I live in Oklahoma, so I release my overflow back where they came from.

13. JayzunBoget

JayzunBoget Arachnobaron Old Timer

If you need any help keeping up with your new arachno-army, you've always got all of us here with LATE! And I can help you hook up with some wholesalers to drastically carve down those numbers.
    Congrats and OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!