Egg sac??

NeyNey

Arachnopeon
I’m pretty sure my 3 year old Aviculara versicolor has a an egg sac which seems impossible since I’ve had it since it was a tiny sling. It has never had contact with another T either. About 3 weeks ago, it suddenly closed its web up and it figured it was molting but then I saw what appears to be a ball of web. It’s clinging onto this ball of web for dear life. It won’t eat, won’t come out of the web and will hold this thing all day. I’ve had dozens of T’s for decades and have never seen anything like it. I can’t find any decent info so I decided to come here for some answers. Should I be expecting babies soon or is some kind of pseudo sac???

Here’s the best pic I can get since it’s sealed itself into a web cave! The other pic is from when it was a itty bitty sling..I got it in August 2015.

Attachments

boina

Lady of the mites
They can make dud sacs, i've had it happen. It's a bit sad because they invest so many resources for nothing. At one point she will abandon the sac, but if you can get to it you can remove the sac earlier so the spider will start eating again, if she isn't doing so right now.

Last edited:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
If you leave it with her she'll most likely eat the sack to recycle the resources, it'll go back to acting normal after that. Well, if you didn't know you had a female before, there's no doubt about it now

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its a dud.

But atleast you know you are keeping her in the right consitions :)

NeyNey

Arachnopeon
If it has never bred it will be a fake egg sac, it will have eggs just nothing fertilized.

That’s what I thought. I couldn’t find any good info about it online. She ate ferociously for a few weeks before making it. Her abdomen was huge! That’s why I figured she was about to molt! Thanks guys!

So I’m at a crossroads. She still has the egg sac and is refusing to eat. She’s getting very skinny and I’m afraid she’ll starve. About how long should it be before I should be worried and take it away from her? It’s been at least a month, up to 6 weeks since she made it.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
ts with sacs dont eat..sometimes even for weeks after....your concerns about starving are completely unwarranted.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just leave it with the female, they eventually figure out its a dud and then end up eating it...if she abandons the sac then of course remove it.