Egg sac without mating?

Timj

Arachnopeon
Just checked down my chilobrachys Kaeng Krachans hole and she is nurturing a large egg shaped ball underneath her.
She molted about 3 months ago and has 100% not mated with a male.
Is it impossible for her to have an egg sac and if so what the hell is she holding?
Could be a ball of substrate but it looks way to neat. Impossible to get a photo unfortunately

cold blood

Staff member
Young females (any mature female, really) will sometimes lay phantom sacs...just infertile...eventually they tend to eat them.

You now know...a. its female, and b. shes mature

Timj

Arachnopeon
Ahh okay thanks for the reply. Thought she had snuck out while i was away to find a male. She had to be mature tbf she is absolutely massive

So i sould let her do her thing then obviously?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"Phantom sacs"... infertile egg sacs letting you know she is ready to breed! She'll eat or discard it within a few weeks.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you felt so inclined, you could take it from her. But there isn't any good reason to do so.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Personally I'd let her sit on it until you think it has started going bad. Earlier removal is acceptable, if in doubt. dud/phantom sacs aren't that rare....
[just saying not to unduly stress her out, if possible - she may believe she has a viable sac and be defensive - this is one case where you may know best.]

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
[just saying not to unduly stress her out, if possible - she may believe she has a viable sac and be defensive -
I agree completely.

If she doesn't consume it, she will likely discard it as some point when it goes bad. I don't see any reason to forcefully remove it from her. Heck, I don't even remove viable sacs from females anymore... the distress it causes them is quite evident and doesn't dissipate immediately.