Egg Sac from apple tree resident

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hey guys,

I just recently lost one of my spider residents in my back yard, she lived on my young apple tree and was a sweet little thing. She laid an egg sac, but I am used to the spiders living at least long enough to guard the egg sac until they hatch. However right now my poor apple tree is being over run by ants who are harvesting a small group of aphids during the top. I am wondering if they either killed her in the process or stressed her enough she died? either way I am now taking care of the ants, I don't mind if they are there and aren't doing damage but honestly my apple tree is starting to take a tole on some of the new growth, and I really did like her a lot.

So I decided to take her egg sac in, at least so the ants can't kill it, I will likely release most if not all the babies into the back yard when they hatch (if they do). But I have never cared for an egg sac... and am wondering, especially since mom won't be around to take care of it... should there be a specific way I should care for it? Humidity/moisture levels etc? I plan to collect on a stick, she made a very sheet like web and she was extremely small so I think she is somewhere in the dwarf spider family. Idk for sure though.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Oh wait nvm XD lmao, she had just move her resting place and I saw what is either a dead spider she caught and ate or a molt. She is currently still doing well... though she isn't much of a guarder...

Edit: ok so I just found out what species she is since she is much more distinct now, she is likely a hacklemesh weaver which we get here. But I am worried since these are the type of spiders who sacrifice themselves to their young... I understand that's how things work.... but if I take the egg sac away, raise them myself and they survive will she continue to live? I know it's weird since she is completely wild but I have fed her every now and then when I see her and she's just become kind of... a nice constant to check on when I am checking on the plants. She's so shy but watches me as long as I don't touch her web.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Edit: ok so I just found out what species she is since she is much more distinct now, she is likely a hacklemesh weaver which we get here.
If you post a picture (and your geographic location), we can ID it for you.

but if I take the egg sac away, raise them myself and they survive will she continue to live? I know it's weird since she is completely wild but I have fed her every now and then when I see her and she's just become kind of... a nice constant to check on when I am checking on the plants. She's so shy but watches me as long as I don't touch her web.
I would leave the sac with mom as long as she is still there.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ok I will then, I planned to collect it in the morning if no one responded but I will leave it where she is. Hopefully one of her babes takes over the apple tree territory. I have several tiny spiders on it but also another younger species of what she is. She's a Callobius bennetti for sure. Though she doesn't come out of her funnel much anymore I can see her markings if I look correctly.