Effective Breeding of Brachypelma Smithi

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
according to more= better... that was a big post Cheshire, so it must be good :clap:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
according to more= better... that was a big post Cheshire, so it must be good :clap:
Just didn't want people thinking I was mindlessly mudslinging.

Of course, that's half an hour I could have been working on my stat homework ;)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: :eek: What I can't believe this! No Eddy it cant be true he just can't be a Liar and a scoundral! No this isn't happening my world has just collapsed around me now that I have noone to ask about brachys!!!:8o

BTW
Here are at least two PUBBLISHED articles you could look up for yourself Talkenlate04:-

VVN magazine jaargang 13 nr 42, 2004 Eddy Hijmensen: 'Brachypelma schroederi en Brachypelma verdezi'.

VVN magazine jaargang 15 nr 49, 2006 (23-25), Eddy Hijmensen: 'geslaagde kweek met Brachypelma baumgarteni'

Hope this helps?

Cheers
Chris:)
Just to clarify, Metallica (Eddy) wrote those articles. If people want to say you cannot trust him, you should do a tad bit of research before you commit to that stance.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to clarify, Metallica (Eddy) wrote those articles. If people want to say you cannot trust him, you should do a tad bit of research before you commit to that stance.
Yeah...I've been following Metallica's posts for awhile. I knew he knew his stuff, but didn't realize he'd been published.

Whether or not you like someone should have no bearing on whether or not to trust their information. There are a lot of people on here who don't like me and I'm trusted by a lot of people. Even by some who don't like me. ;)

I've never been fond of Tescos, but I've read his posts and know that almost everything he posts is accurate. I'd trust his information under almost any circumstance, even though he can come off as abrasive a lot of the time.

If someone's first line of defense is to automatically play the victim in response to *genuine* questions about the content of their posts, I really start to worry about their credibility. It's a very effective method of skirting around criticism...to claim a personal attack and then you don't even have to back up your content.

Almost like a reverse ad hominem.

I didn't realize that Metallica had been published, and the very fact that he can't find information on B. annithia kind of fascinates me now.

After re-reading Ryan's posts (admittedly after a rude PM), I realize that he never outright claimed to breed B. annithia. I only figured he did because he claims to give advice based upon experience in so many of his posts and also because he included B. annithia alongside two species he also claimed to breed in the past while including species he hasn't worked with in another paragraph. Whether or not this was a logical conclusion is up to the reader to decide, although I'm almost 100% certian that's what Ryan was trying to imply.

Of course, Ryan didn't even try to correct me...so the motivations behind that are up to anyone to decide. I have my own theories to why, but I really feel it's inappropriate to share them in the public sector.

Of course, this brings up some very good questions about that very short sentance that started this whole debacle.

Information on breeding this species is very difficult to find...even for authors such as Metallica. Information in english is even more difficult to find, I can vouch for that from experience.

If Ryan tries to give advice based upon experience, why was Ryan giving advice on B. annithia when he admittedly has no experience with this species?

Why didn't he shut me up by posting a source (or at least sharing his reasoning)?

I mean...seriously. All he would have had to say is 'I talked to Eddy Hijmensen awhile back and that's what he told me' and I'd have been fine with that. I haven't searched for any information on this species in well over a year, so it's possible that something could have come down the pike. I also have access to sources now that I didn't have a year ago.

Instead, we have him giving advice on a species he admittedly has no experience with and with very little possibility of him having the information on that species that he claims to as far as I (or anyone else, for that matter) can tell.

Last edited:

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
I've never been fond of Tescos, but I've read his posts and know that almost everything he posts is accurate. I'd trust his information under almost any circumstance, even though he can come off as abrasive a lot of the time.
Hey I wont hold that againts you, after all even my dear old Mum petends that shes not most of the time.;) :D

All the best
Chris

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Back To Breeding B. SMITHI

So if any one else has breeding info pertaining to B. Smithi PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST IT!:confused:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So if any one else has breeding info pertaining to B. Smithi PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST IT!:confused:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40792
Mine are the last three posts.
I cooled her at 70 degrees until about two weeks before the sac was laid. I misted the tank heavily twice a week for two weeks to simulate a rainy season and raised the temp to 75. I pulled for manual incubation at 30 days. i screwed up the manual incubation by not rotating enough and not keeping moist enough and as a result only 22 eggs out of about 300 were viable. Remember this was my first breeding attempt of any species. I now pretty much leave the sacs with mom till day 45 or 50 to ensure they are well developed before I pull the egg sac.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but when someone claims to have 20 brachy sacs in less than one year, as indicated by Eddy's sleuthing, sparks will fly.{D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but when someone claims to have 20 brachy sacs in less than one year, as indicated by Eddy's sleuthing, sparks will fly.
Hey there clown, show me where I said in a year?

OH, OH that's right, once again putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID THAT. Those sacs were spread out over all the time I have been in the hobby!

Same with the B. Annithia, I never said I bred them, go re read my post. And take note that the post is NOT edited, those are my original words un touched.

If you want to jump on the bash talkenlate04 bandwagon, at least get your facts straight. :rolleyes:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there clown, show me where I said in a year?

OH, OH that's right, once again putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID THAT. Those sacs were spread out over all the time I have been in the hobby!

Same with the B. Annithia, I never said I bred them, go re read my post. And take note that the post is NOT edited, those are my original words un touched.

If you want to jump on the bash talkenlate04 bandwagon, at least get your facts straight. :rolleyes:
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 08:09 PM #1
Talkenlate04
Arachnoemperor

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Talkenlate04

Species question
I have been a collector of only B Smithi. Now I bought a male and female starburst baboon. I dont know the scientific name for these guys. They mated readly and hung out for 12 hours or so before I decided to take them out. I just would like to know more about them. Anything helps really. ~Ryan

Feb 2006 you only keep B.smithi. Kinda hard to breed other brachys from that. We have had numerous debates about speciation in the evolution threads and we came to the conclusion you cannot create new species from two identical ones. I think Venom and Chesh can back me up on that one. let me reiterate that point...

View Single Post
Talkenlate04
Arachnoemperor

My Mood:

Species question
I have been a collector of only B Smithi.
Now I bought a male and female starburst baboon. I dont know the scientific name for these guys. They mated readly and hung out for 12 hours or so before I decided to take them out. I just would like to know more about them. Anything helps really. ~Ryan

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That post was referring to the fact that was mostly all I had worked with yes.

I have plenty of employees from LLLreptile in Oceanside Ca, that knew me in the Marines from 2000-2004 that know I had far more then that.

If you want to skew my wording to your advantage that's fine. It does not bother me.

If you think me producing 2000+ Smithi in one year was a fluke just wait and watch for future postings.

And I can readily admit I did not and still don't know scientific names that well stll don't, I look them up all the time. That does not negate the fact that I can produce.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am just going to refer back to this.

View Single Post
Talkenlate04
Arachnoemperor

My Mood:

Species question
I have been a collector of only B Smithi.
Now I bought a male and female starburst baboon. I dont know the scientific name for these guys. They mated readly and hung out for 12 hours or so before I decided to take them out. I just would like to know more about them. Anything helps really. ~Ryan

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Once again, I have nothing to prove to you. I'll keep producing, and now that I am on the boards I'll post when it happens just like I have been doing. And you can keep knocking me all you want.

You know how I got 2000 smithi? Because I might, just might have a clue what I am doing. :rolleyes:

Also note, nowhere have I ever said I know it all, I learn things on this board every day almost. And I learn through my own trial and error.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So what happened with the spiderlings from the B. boehmei, B. emelia, and B. auratum eggsacs? Just curious.

Eric

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Honestly, I had next to no avenues to sell them when I was in the Marines, I had no clue there were online avenues to sell them. So some of them were let go(yes into the wild, stupid I know) in the Vista CA area foothills, some were traded back to LLLReptile, some were given away or sold cheap at shows or to friends. And some of them I just let co habit till the sibling deaths whittled them down to much, much smaller numbers. I really had no idea what to do with them all.
Then when I got deployed for 28 months I sold all I had to some guy in Southern Cal that I met at the pet store, and gave some of them back to LLLReptile for some cash. But I kept two Smithi, because they were the first I ever had and I will not sell them. I convinced an S4 Lt to care for them in his office while I was gone. When I got back I started over. And here I am.

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
will back to the topic at hand. Hey Ryan do you think that low 60's F at night and how 60's at day is to low or just right for the cooling of my B.smith any of your advise is appreciated.

omar

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Low 60's should work, your whole goal with the cool down is to simulate winter which can be hard to do in our houses. That is why I like to try and time my breedings with the natural cycle of the seasons here in Oregon. So my bred females now are in the patio closet and our temps are naturally doing the cooling for me. Plus the closet offers some protection from the actual outside temps.
It was harder to do cool downs when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton CA because it's warm mild and hot down there it does not really get cold. That is where I started using my patio closet and the miny fridge. It's a bit easier here to do cool downs because of the bigger changes in temps when winter arrives here.
But if I do an off season breeding I will still use my miny fridge. I was thinking of maybe using a wine fridge to get it a bit warmer at the lowest setting, maybe the mid 50's instead of the low 50's.

Same with flooding the tank in the spring, this is to simulate the coming of spring within the tank.

This year I am also keeping one of the bred females in the T room with no changes to her temps at all to see if she will produce.