Eek—help!

ConfusedOlivia

Arachnopeon
9C60E61B-7D3C-43BC-B34C-A705BF3A3D39.png DBEB692D-C497-4123-9175-BD4865300FF0.png Hi guys, wondering if someone can help? The past few days I’ve seen 5/6 of these spiders in my garden and one in my house - can you help me identify if it is a false widow? I’m just a bit worried as I have a baby and will just be a bit more careful when in the garden playing etc. Here is a couple of pics I’ve managed to snap sorry it’s rubbish quality!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I’m just a bit worried as I have a baby and will just be a bit more careful when in the garden playing etc.
Steatoda does have a weak form of Latrotoxin that the black widow has, so it is possible a baby curiously poking about in their webs could get bit and get sick. Keeping an eye on things is in order. The venom isn't considered a serious health hazard but with infants a significant reaction is possible. Relocating spiders easily baby accessed, or as a last ditch defense, killing them may be in order.

Relocating them isn't easy as they run and hide, tucking themselves away in places often difficult to get at. Periodically search for that tough tell tale webbing.

And for all on these boards who fly into a rage thinking about killing a spider, think about a rug rat poking about in those dark crannies and crevices, just like I did when I got tagged by a Hesperus.

Last edited: