Eating during premolt? (GBB)

McGruder

Arachnopeon
Have you guys ever seen your Ts eat during premolt? I got my GBB at the beginning of June. She refused food for about three weeks, then ate one cricket. After that, she hasn't eaten again. I tried to feed her again today and she did strike at the cricket I gave her, but it didn't seem like she was hungry or trying to eat it. It seemed like she was pissed off that the thing was in her space.

She doesn't really web very much, and doesn't seem to like moving in general (although when she does move she's quick and energetic, so I think she's healthy enough). She mostly chills in one corner of her enclosure. Her abdomen also appears to be forming a bald patch. So...all of the signs of premolt, but she ate the one time, so I'm kind of scratching my head. It took my hamorii maybe 4 weeks from when she first started refusing food to when she was eating voraciously again, so it's weird to see a possible premolt taking this long. I know it can be apples and oranges with different species, but the whole molting thing is still kind of new to me.

(This is Esmeralda a few weeks ago. The bald patch looks more pronounced in the picture than it does in real life)
Esmeralda.jpg

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Hey bro i too have a gbb who just went through a molt before i received her in the mail.

Mine is a juvenile female but shes gaining size rather quickly. She seemed tiny at first but is a very happy eater. My gbb is very calm and not very bolty. Shes very intrigued when i add water or remove remains from her cage. Premolt i would offer crickets every 3 days. If they dont take them right away i remove mine.
Dont overkill on water. They are an arid species. Few droplets of water on the web.
Mine is a very heavy webber makes it very easy to offer food to her.
Heres my gbb. We call her baby.

Best of luck.

Attachments

BarksandFarts

Arachnopeon
Some Ts will eat even through premolt. Lethargy is definitely a sign of premolt. Bald spots in itself is NOT a sign of premolt but the darkening of the abdomen is what u should look for - bald spots just make it easier to spot the darkening abdomen. Just be patient! There really isnt much else u can do lol

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Doesn't look like pre molt yet, these tend to get ridiculously fat towards the end of their molt cycle.

The abdomen will also darken considerably when the molt is imminent.

FOREVER

Arachnopeon
I'd say she just hasn't settle in yet, my GBB sling took nearly 3 weeks to leave its corner and start webbing up the place, but in the meantime it was just sitting in a corner and eat maybe 2 out of 10 cricket i offered.
Maybe post a picture of the setup? mine started settling around the time i got it fake plant (the hide was there from the beginning but it never used it -.-'

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If I'm correctly seeing how dark the bald patch is, I would vote for premolt. But that abdomen looks pretty small for a premolt T. So I'm honestly unsure.

As for whether Ts will eat while in premolt: certain ones will, yes. I have a few that will eat a few days prior to molting, and others that will seal themselves off for a month or so prior

McGruder

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I'd say she just hasn't settle in yet, my GBB sling took nearly 3 weeks to leave its corner and start webbing up the place, but in the meantime it was just sitting in a corner and eat maybe 2 out of 10 cricket i offered.
Maybe post a picture of the setup? mine started settling around the time i got it fake plant (the hide was there from the beginning but it never used it -.-'
I got some pics of the setup here. She did eat a cricket yesterday, but this is only the second one she's eaten in two months. If it's not premolt I'm kind of confused, because all I'd heard about GBBs beforehand is that they're voracious eaters and they web a lot. She's eaten and webbed a little, but my hamorii is a glutton compared to her! IMG_0712.jpg IMG_0713.jpg

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I think that you are looking at the mirror patch.
No I see the mirror patch, but there’s a darker spot on that, that’s where bits of the mirror patch would be and in her water dish I was a “gold flake” from where she kicked the hair and bits of the patch off
79F302C2-DF06-4D83-A261-5DAEC146FE7F.jpeg

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Not to worry. Your gbb should go into molt every 35 to 45 days. Seems to be the schedule with my now sub adult female. The crazy thing is both my gbb and a.genic will molt usually withing 5 to 7days of eachother now.

I have a very strict policy with my gbb. I offer her gutloaded prey items. I offer a water dish. And spray a light mist over her web (only in one area typically above her water) and whitness her drink from it usually. Shes molted 3 times already since getting her this year. Cheers my friend heres my gbb... we call her baby.

Attachments

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Not to worry. Your gbb should go into molt every 35 to 45 days. Seems to be the schedule with my now sub adult female. The crazy thing is both my gbb and a.genic will molt usually withing 5 to 7days of eachother now.

I have a very strict policy with my gbb. I offer her gutloaded prey items. I offer a water dish. And spray a light mist over her web (only in one area typically above her water) and whitness her drink from it usually. Shes molted 3 times already since getting her this year. Cheers my friend heres my gbb... we call her baby.
Thank you, that seems like a good rule of thumb