Easy to breed millipedes?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone! I'm going to the second biggest expo in europe in Houten, netherlands next sunday and i'm planning on getting some millipedes. I would like some quick breeding species so i can sell a few in the future and earn a little money for other things and animals, even a few bucks is better than nothing!
I'm not only trying to breed and would like some millipedes that don't really dig often and that will occasionally walk around the enclosure. My budget is around 25-30 euros for the pedes themselves, i have enough stuff for substrate, food and enclosures. So what species should i get? If there are any pedes like this under the polydesmus-like families, please list them aswell!
Thanks in advance!!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Oh, what fun! I don't know the price for millipedes in Europe nor the species you will see available but I can answer from my American experience.

Nearly all of the species available here are captive bred so my experience is that they are all pretty much easy to breed. We have a few like Orthoporus ornatus and Floridibolus floydii that have not been bred yet (not with any regularity) so I guess I should say they are more difficult. I am sure that you will have species available that we have never seen that could fall in that category. But for the most part, if the needs of the species are met, they will produce young. Most are so prolific you will look for ways to stop them! :rolleyes:

My most prolific are: Chicobolus spinigerus Ivory, Anadenobolus monilicornis Bumblebee, Archispirostreptus gigas African Giant Black, Spirostreptus sp. Species #1 and Trigonilius coralinus Scarlet.

My most active are: Chicobolus spinigerus Ivory, Archispirostreptus gigas African Giant Black, Spirostreptus sp. Species #1, Orthroporus ornatus and Trigonilius coralinus Scarlet. As far as the flats go, Auturus evides Colored Train breeds always and is active.

How I would love to see through your eyes that day! Enjoy.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Th
Oh, what fun! I don't know the price for millipedes in Europe nor the species you will see available but I can answer from my American experience.

Nearly all of the species available here are captive bred so my experience is that they are all pretty much easy to breed. We have a few like Orthoporus ornatus and Floridibolus floydii that have not been bred yet (not with any regularity) so I guess I should say they are more difficult. I am sure that you will have species available that we have never seen that could fall in that category. But for the most part, if the needs of the species are met, they will produce young. Most are so prolific you will look for ways to stop them! :rolleyes:

My most prolific are: Chicobolus spinigerus Ivory, Anadenobolus monilicornis Bumblebee, Archispirostreptus gigas African Giant Black, Spirostreptus sp. Species #1 and Trigonilius coralinus Scarlet.

My most active are: Chicobolus spinigerus Ivory, Archispirostreptus gigas African Giant Black, Spirostreptus sp. Species #1, Orthroporus ornatus and Trigonilius coralinus Scarlet. As far as the flats go, Auturus evides Colored Train breeds always and is active.

How I would love to see through your eyes that day! Enjoy.
anks for the info! I'll ask the sellers at the expo for some extra information just to be safe, i'll make a thread of the pedes when i get back.