Easy species to breed?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am an amateur in the T breeding area of the hobby. I have gotten sacs from P.murinus and aphonopelma species before, but they basically breed themselves. I am currently working with C.fasciatum which is frustrating because after one session of the female being receptive but no insert being noticed, she is not responsive at all. I have tried 3 desperate times in the past few years with 3 different females with this species and I haven't even gotten a sac. So I'm about ready to give up on this species because its so disheartening

What species would you guys recommend as a less difficult species to breed?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poecilotheria ornata would be a good one. They are pretty straight forward. Introduce a wet period for 3 to 4 weeks, just mist 1 a day or so. Then introduce the male. If you see insertion take him out, otherwise give him a night at first. Let him make a new web and let him in again, maybe let him stay there, he is a good meal. But if you want to sell him or use him again i reccomend you give him 1 night and then out 3 times. After that just keep it warm in there, around 27C. I have had sacs made within a month from the first mating. Normally i would expect it after 3 months. But they are not so difficult. Just watch your fingers while transferring ;-)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have gotten sacs from P.murinus and aphonopelma species before, but they basically breed themselves.
Problems come in because we're not providing conditions close enough to their natural habitat; temps, humidity, elevation, seasonal changes, soil, food, etc. Other factors include: 1) captive T's grow and mature based the temps they're kept at and how much they're fed, so male's maturities doesn't necessarily match the annual cycles of females, & 2) many T keepers get overanxious and try to pair up females that may be too young.

BTW, all tarantula species 'breed themselves.' Keep in mind that virtually all species in the hobby were first bred in Europe and offspring shipped around the world. They've figured out how to do it. We're catching up.