Earwig Question

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Hey guys,

So I have a short story and a few questions.

So back in early spring, I noticed a massive surge of earwigs in our area
(European Earwigs, Forficula auricularia). I was seeing them everywhere. I did some research and found that they can be kept fairly simply, so I grabbed up a bunch of them and set up an enclosure. For a while they were very active and ate well. However, after a few months, I stopped seeing them and food went completely uneaten. After a while, I assumed they had died for unknown reasons. So, to my embarrassment, I stopped adding food or water. That was about a month and a half ago. I don't know why I didn't just check to see if they were in there, jut poor judgment I guess. Either way, I wanted to clean out the enclosure just to get it out of the way, and while I was doing so I found them all just as healthy as ever. I couldn't believe it! I felt pretty bad for abandoning them, but they were all still plump and seemed lively.

So now for the questions.
Do they require very specific conditions to breed? I was expecting babies by now since they are an invasive species and can also be considered a household pest. I'm also aware that they have a pretty carnivorous tendency, so I supply them with fresh killed crickets so that they wont eat each others eggs.
Is there any particular way to tell male from female?
Do they not eat very much? I was under the impression that they had cockroach like appetites. However, today when I added the first food available to them in at least a month, they refused it.

Thanks in advance!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
So now for the questions.
Do they require very specific conditions to breed? I was expecting babies by now since they are an invasive species and can also be considered a household pest. I'm also aware that they have a pretty carnivorous tendency, so I supply them with fresh killed crickets so that they wont eat each others eggs.
Is there any particular way to tell male from female?
Do they not eat very much? I was under the impression that they had cockroach like appetites. However, today when I added the first food available to them in at least a month, they refused it.

Thanks in advance!
They do not; I know people who have bred the species with I believe just some moist substrate and pre-killed inverts. I have bred Euborellia arcanum with a couple inches of moist substrate, a couple pieces of bark, and some nutrition in the way of dog food. Perhaps you just don't have adults?

You can find info on sexing here: https://bugguide.net/node/view/23281

I'm not exactly sure about the Europeans, but my E.arcanum did not eat much when supplied with dog food at room-ish temps. My friend kept his warmer though and fed them pre-killed roaches and they supposedly ate much, much more. His population might have been much larger though.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I never even thought about the possibility that they hadn't matured. That might just be the case. They are pretty varied in size so it's totally possible that at least some of them haven't matured.

I'll see if I can sex some of them.

Guess I'll just continue as is. Maybe up the temp a bit. Thanks!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
I never even thought about the possibility that they hadn't matured. That might just be the case. They are pretty varied in size so it's totally possible that at least some of them haven't matured.

I'll see if I can sex some of them.

Guess I'll just continue as is. Maybe up the temp a bit. Thanks!
On ones that are mature, you'll see the "wings". :)

Sounds good; adults may be the only sexable life stage though.

That'd be the best course of action. :) No problem!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Did you see the thread about earwigs eating grain mites? Thought that was pretty sweet. Super jealous that everyone gets earwigs but me :shifty:

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Did you see the thread about earwigs eating grain mites? Thought that was pretty sweet. Super jealous that everyone gets earwigs but me :shifty:
No I haven't seen that thread, but that sounds cool. You want some? I can send you some from around here. Unless their's some sort of law saying not to. I'm not sure.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I remain shocked that you haven't seen any. What part of Texas do you live in? I guess it's possible it might be too arid for earwigs.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I remain shocked that you haven't seen any. What part of Texas do you live in? I guess it's possible it might be too arid for earwigs.
there are arid tolerant genera like vostox and labidura riparia, so long as a moisture source nearby exists, they're happy

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
No I haven't seen that thread, but that sounds cool. You want some? I can send you some from around here. Unless their's some sort of law saying not to. I'm not sure.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/grain-mites-another-solution.310511/#post-2827232

What part of OK are you in? I have family in OKC so I come that way occasionally.

Up in the panhandle, it's very dry up here.