Earthworms?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have a more spacific question about feeding T's earthworms. If I were to pick up a fat earthworm off the street on a rainy night, could it possibly be contaminated with chemicals from cars? Or would they be safe to feed to my T?
Most definitely possible. I wouldn't try it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have a more spacific question about feeding T's earthworms. If I were to pick up a fat earthworm off the street on a rainy night, could it possibly be contaminated with chemicals from cars? Or would they be safe to feed to my T?
Unless you know the area you live in is very clean I would not collect local feeders for any of my animals. It's easy to pick up some worms from a bait shop if you really want to feed them. Unless the T needs a monster meal your just going to end up with a lot of leftovers (unless you cut them up).

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
A lot of bait shop worms are collected on golf courses. Unless your bait shop gets them from a breeding colony don't buy them. Golf courses use more pesticides and fertilizer chemicals than anywhere else.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I personally wouldn't feed anything wild caught to your tarantula, snake,toad etc it's simply not worth the risk

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't want to use anything that wasn't raised to be a feeder. Would there be any benefit to feeding earthworms?

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
Why risk feeding something from outside that could have poison in it and kill your T when you could go to
a pet store and buy some crickets for a dollar?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Golf course collection? Never heard that...baitshops generally buy from worm farmers....back in the day they were collected, but farming made that obsolete.https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/84/ac/07/84ac0702ad9fefedc5d5739d78abbd08.jpg

I've fed earthworms...they are a huge meal though.
I don't know if you remember my post a few months back about asking whether store bought earthworms are safe feeders but this is what I was getting at.. Where the hell do they come from.Lol.. I didn't know if they were bred or if they were collected.. Eh now I know thanks..

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I'm sure the majority are now received from worm farms but I know some rural areas still collect.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm sure the majority are now received from worm farms but I know some rural areas still collect.
Most everything I've seen for years in the bait shops are all commercial farming. I forget the company name but it's a blue cup down here. When I was younger my grandpa used to buy from a guy who collected them. It's easy to tell in most cases as the farm name is usually written on the side of the cup.

I love fishing with night crawlers. I do hate trying to fish with crap red worms though.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If I were to pick up a fat earthworm off the street on a rainy night, could it possibly be contaminated with chemicals from cars?
Chemicals from cars/roads, pesticides, parasites, fertilizers, etc.

Don't use any types of feeders from outside.

ViktorsDad7

Arachnopeon
How about mealworms/superworms/pupae, waxworms and silkworms? Anyone tried any of those?
Hornworms, superworms for bigger species silk/wax worms are bit smaller and can be fed to smaller species. My adult female Heterometrus loves hornworms she practically snubs crickets now. My juvenile to sub adults like the goliath worms and silk worms as well the moisture content from goliath is great because it keeps them hydrated well. However some protein is good because if your pet is not pooping regularly then diet is not working.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
@ViktorsDad7 This is an old thread you're resurrecting, but yes: mealworms, waxworms, and super [meal]worms are very popular feeders. Many Ts will eat earthworms if they are offered; whether that's a good idea or not probably depends on whether the worms have ingested anything that could be toxic/harmful.
Side point: Heterometrus is a genus of scorpions, so you might want to be posting in the Scorpions section of these forums instead of the Tarantula Questions section.