Earthworms?

Andross

Arachnopeon
This might be a stupid question, But can you feed your T's earthworms? Just wondering.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dunno... The real question is would they eat it. Theres a member here thats fed her G Aureostriata gold fish.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Go ahead and try. *Giggles to myself* Tarantulas won't eat worms. They may strike it and spit it out right away. But it doesn't hurt for you to try to feed an earth worm to your tarantula. Just don't expect a 'thank you' note from your tarantula.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chris V said:
Dunno... The real question is would they eat it. Theres a member here thats fed her G Aureostriata gold fish.
The bottom line is that fish are different than annelids (leeches, worms, etc...).

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Go ahead and try. *Giggles to myself* Tarantulas won't eat worms"
I disagree with the above statement.

I've fed a couple of species of t's earthworms. They ate it with gusto. Some of my t's refused it. Theraphosa apophysis,T.blondi, P.cancerides, and N.coloratovillosus are a couple of species that took them. Give it a try, your spider might like it and it would provide some variety.
Mike

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
I've fed a couple of species of t's earthworms. They ate it with gusto. Some of my t's refused it. Theraphosa apophysis,T.blondi, P.cancerides, and N.coloratovillosus are a couple of species that took them. Give it a try, your spider might like it and it would provide some variety.
Mike
That is amazing! None of my tarantulas ever accepted a worm before. Too slimy I guess.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
How about mealworms/superworms/pupae, waxworms and silkworms? Anyone tried any of those?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
some of my Ts absolutely LOVE waxworms and superworms. However, I had not found one T yet that likes the beetles....

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
John,
Most T's will take all of the insects mentioned, especially super mealworms. Immortal beat me to it.
Mike

Gretchen W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Waxworms

My A.Seemani has not eaten a thing since I got him 2 months ago. 2 days ago I dropped a couple waxworms in and he went right after them. Ate 3 and I think he's looking for more...lol :}
My Rose hair has been eating crickets but also ate the waxworms.
I prefer them as well(not to eat..lol) but easier to store and they don't stink like the crickets ;P

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my adult blondi a long while back along with a couple of Xenesthis and all of the came from Sam Marshall's collection. He had been feeding them plenty of earth worms and they did just fine on them.

Phil

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chris V said:
My white knee has gold fish as well (not feeders!) and loved it. None of my eithers would touch them though...

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my T. blondi will not eat earthworms but my G. rosea loves them. now on the other hand my t. blondi loves goldfish but my G. rosea won't touch them. I have found that goldfish make pretty good feeders as long as the T. will eat them. I don't feed earthworms anymore because they tend to crawl away and die then they rot at light speed so they are more trouble to me. personally I don't like useing crickets I just don't think they are worth the ten cents a piece I have to pay for them. goldfish are bigger and cheaper for me to use.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
How about mealworms/superworms/pupae, waxworms and silkworms? Anyone tried any of those?

Hey John, I feed my slings mealworm pupae all the time!! Especially the shyer ones that arent into killing a small cricket by themselves. I make sure to only feed them the freshly pupaeted ones so they dont turn into a beetle on them!
My A. braunshauseni LOVES mealworms so does my A. hentzi. The rest will eat them but not with as much gusto as they do crickets.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, Id like to get away from crickets myself. Not necessarily the price but the constant chirping is DRIVING ME INSANE... :eek: :eek: :eek:
I think I might go back to meal worms. My wife is a teacher and the science experiement was to grow meal worms from larva. So my T's had meal worms for a couple of weeks and then grain beetles after they matured.

Andross

Arachnopeon
Well I put a big fat earthworm in my T. blondi's enclosure and it snapped it up and fed on it for hours. Thanks for all the replies.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as I have seen, there's a lot of individual variation on what Ts prefer to eat. I have a decent range of species, OW, NW, arboreals, terrestrials, etc. One of my GBB will eat almost anything, the other GBB refuses everything except crickets. As for the others, some will eat pinkies, some mealworms, and some crickets. The only generalization I can give is that the larger specimens seem to have difficulty with crickets, probably because they're too small. What I really wonder is, if a T has a bad experience with a particular prey item, can that T remember to avoid it in the future? And for how long?

Karen N.

Scatr

Arachnopeon
I have a more spacific question about feeding T's earthworms. If I were to pick up a fat earthworm off the street on a rainy night, could it possibly be contaminated with chemicals from cars? Or would they be safe to feed to my T?