E sp red in premolt or....?????

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
My E. sp Red adult fem hasn't eaten since I got her in July. I think that @sdsnybny ordered her to drive me crazy....
My agent has specific mission goals.........:p:p
Must be working you posted this twice, of course for some its a shorter drive.

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Once a year rolls around, you start wondering when they will eat. I had a species that didn't eat for a year, and another species that didn't eat for 18 months, then she just started eating like a fiend for no reason I could discern. She wasn't skinny either, temps hadn't changed at all, nor the weather.
@viper69. Didn't you know that fasting Ts are sent to us to train us in the mysterious world of worms crossing the road in winter?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Easier than saying "members of the Euathlus genus" :bored:
You could simply say "Euathlus spp." which implies multiple species within the genus. When we say "Euathlus sp.," the single "p" means that we are referring to only one species within the genus.

Problem solved:p

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Mine will fast in premolt and just to mess with me. Try to restrain the need to "feed my starving pet". I finally decided to not offer any food for 30-40 days and then she ate, but i still suspect a molt in the next year LOL
Couldn't agree more! When I started with spiders, I quickly learned that all of my animal husbandry instincts (from years of keeping all sorts of animals) are practically useless for them. Spiders are incredible animals that are adapted to survive on very little. My green femur goes on looooong hunger strikes, and I've had to tell myself that everything is ok. She has water, she's plump..... she's fine:happy:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Easier than saying "members of the Euathlus genus" :bored:
Oh, yes, true but IMO sounded funny :-s

Also your comment made me think about the Goddess privileged status, you know. She's the only one, we can't say "those in Pelinobius" or "those in muticus". She's the only one: supreme ruler :-s

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
IMG_0531.JPG Hey guess what- she molted this weekend and is looking just fine. I'll definitely feed her after her fangs harden and hopefully she'll eat! She certainly didn't look like she was in pre-molt but had the lethargic behavior.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Very nice. She is looking good in the new clothes. :)
Yes she looks lovely!

So do you ever get used to molting? I feel startled for a moment when I look and see the T and the shed exoskeleton, it's so odd. For a split second I think there's 2 tarantulas, or like when my A anax molted I thought it was a whole new T because he looks so different. Do you get used to it after a while?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yes she looks lovely!

So do you ever get used to molting? I feel startled for a moment when I look and see the T and the shed exoskeleton, it's so odd. For a split second I think there's 2 tarantulas, or like when my A anax molted I thought it was a whole new T because he looks so different. Do you get used to it after a while?
I haven't yet, but I've had the T addiction for only a year. Watching my B. albopilosum molt was the most awe inspiring moment! That, and seeing them drink water.
You've got a pretty girlie.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I haven't yet, but I've had the T addiction for only a year. Watching my B. albopilosum molt was the most awe inspiring moment! That, and seeing them drink water.
You've got a pretty girlie.
COol! I hope I get to see it someday. Since they live in my office I don't see them much at night, and so far that's when all the molts have taken place!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yes she looks lovely!

I did. After seeing so many it's pretty common to me now. I do still get excited to see how much they grow but I don't worry about the molt. It's out of my control once it starts so you might as well enjoy it. :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
COol! I hope I get to see it someday. Since they live in my office I don't see them much at night, and so far that's when all the molts have taken place!
Yeah, mine like the night time to molt. I was lucky enough to catch my B.albopilosum when she molted last.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I love that video, but I cringe most of the way through it. The whole process looks so incredibly stressful and even painful in some parts. It amazes me that more things don't go wrong during moulting.

TarantulaTrish

Arachnopeon
VERY COOL!! I caught one of my T's molt on video too just a couple weeks ago. Such an amazing thing to watch!! Your daughter is GORGEOUS!!
I should go video now...I have one T building a wall, so freaking cool to watch!

Yeah, mine like the night time to molt. I was lucky enough to catch my B.albopilosum when she molted last.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I love that video, but I cringe most of the way through it. The whole process looks so incredibly stressful and even painful in some parts. It amazes me that more things don't go wrong during moulting.
It looks like they are trying to get out of a way to tight body suit or a extra tight pair of pants. They have been doing this for a long time though so I trust they have it covered.
VERY COOL!! I caught one of my T's molt on video too just a couple weeks ago. Such an amazing thing to watch!! Your daughter is GORGEOUS!!
I should go video now...I have one T building a wall, so freaking cool to watch!
Thanks, they are a lot of fun to keep. I've got two that need new homes setup since their last molts over the weekend. You'll have to post the molting video so we can see it. :)
Since they live in my office I don't see them much at night
Seems to me you need at least one to keep at home. You know so you can see them molt. :D