E Pachypus.... Best starter OW?

Lettuce

Arachnopeon
So recently, I received the book “Tarantulas” from Animal Planet... During reading, I came across the section where the author described the E Pachypus as being so docile that it could even be someone’s first T? Thoughts? Do you agree it’s a good docile OW? What do you think about the E Pachypus?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
They're fairly mellow. Still an OW that bite packs a punch. It will never be a Grammostola or a Brachypelma. I would consider it a good choice to have as a first OW. There are others too. Ceratogyrus species come to mind.

Lettuce

Arachnopeon
They're fairly mellow. Still an OW that bite packs a punch. It will never be a Grammostola or a Brachypelma. I would consider it a good choice to have as a first OW. There are others too. Ceratogyrus species come to mind.
Like C. Marshalli and C. Darlingi? I’ve heard the marshalls can be a little scary at times for some people, but maybe I’m wrong?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes they are one of the calm OW.

If you would feel more comfortable starting out your OW collection with calmer species then I would suggest the following baboon spiders-

Eucratoscelus pachypus
Augacephalus ezendami
Harpactira namaquensis
Harpactira cafreriana
Ceratogyrus meridionalis
Ceratogyrus darlingi

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if we're talking "starter" as in getting you used to ow so you can get more .... id vote against ezendami, or pachypus as they're only ow geographically.
C.marshalli is a good one, as they're not runners, but will stand their ground and throw up a threat or 500
but really it all about what you want our of an OW. if you respect the animal, and aren't going to try and handle it.. they'll all work

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do you mean by this ?
that those species don't really fall into the old world stigma of being fast and/or more prone to strike. So if the intent is to bridge into owning say a p.murinus, or even a pokie, they won't do the job, as they're shy more than anything else

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
that those species don't really fall into the old world stigma of being fast and/or more prone to strike. So if the intent is to bridge into owning say a p.murinus, or even a pokie, they won't do the job, as they're shy more than anything else
Have to disagree on the speed- having seen A.ezendami doing laps around her enclosure I'd definitely place her in the category 'fast OW'. And my E.pachypus behaves like an OW as well, throwing threat postures and being very confrontational.

Individual tempers differ, of course, but still..an OW is an OW...

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have to disagree on the speed- having seen A.ezendami doing laps around her enclosure I'd definitely place her in the category 'fast OW'. And my E.pachypus behaves like an OW as well, throwing threat postures and being very confrontational.

Individual tempers differ, of course, but still..an OW is an OW...
I get that, and agree to an extent.
all I'm saying is that a typical pachypus, or ezendami are more prone to flee to their burrow than anything. So if it's being used as a stepping stone to more typical OW behavior, there needs to be more steps imo

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Both species can be just as fast and feisty as any other member of Harpactirinae. I will admit they may generally spook, bolt and get defensive less than other more notorious members of the family. But they have it in them. They pack just as much speed, attitude and venom if threatened.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I get that, and agree to an extent.
all I'm saying is that a typical pachypus, or ezendami are more prone to flee to their burrow than anything. So if it's being used as a stepping stone to more typical OW behavior, there needs to be more steps imo
I get what you're trying to say as well, i wouldn't recommend someone going from an A.ezendami to a P.murinus as well.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not saying anybodies wrong.. your not; where my opinion differs is in the terminology of "starter ow". if your looking for an introduction to baboons or pokies, I think you need something with a little more speed and attitude than ezendami, and pachypus typically display.
not that they're not great tarantulas, they are. but they typically won't get you ready for and OBT

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I. mira always gets left out of these lists, sweetest T in my collection, i just wish i saw it more often.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm not saying anybodies wrong.. your not; where my opinion differs is in the terminology of "starter ow". if your looking for an introduction to baboons or pokies, I think you need something with a little more speed and attitude than ezendami, and pachypus typically display.
not that they're not great tarantulas, they are. but they typically won't get you ready for and OBT
I can understand where you are coming from..ish.

There should not be a ladder system for OW. Because they are pretty much all capable of being tricky to deal with. Sometimes with even the most seasoned keepers.

As for P. murinus, I find some of my Augacephalus, Ceratos and Harpactiras worse than some of my murinus. Again this comes down to the individual. All OW, no matter the species, has the ability to be the typical high-strung OW.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can understand where you are coming from..ish.

There should not be a ladder system for OW. Because they are pretty much all capable of being tricky to deal with. Sometimes with even the most seasoned keepers.

As for P. murinus, I find some of my Augacephalus, Ceratos and Harpactiras worse than some of my murinus. Again this comes down to the individual. All OW, no matter the species, has the ability to be the typical high-strung OW.
I agree, which is why I think it's better to get what you want as opposed to getting a "calmer ow"
if you get an obt and are ready for a pachypus, that can definitely catch you off guard. I think we both get where the other is coming from though.

believe it or not, most of what I keep are baboons and earth tigers, but my most irritable tarantula is a b.boehmei ( pretty sure it's still giving me a threat from halloween).... any tarantula can have a bad attitude, and vice versa. ( there used to be a dude at the shows here that let people handle his obt)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like C. Marshalli and C. Darlingi? I’ve heard the marshalls can be a little scary at times for some people, but maybe I’m wrong?

All the Ceratos commonly seen are fine first OWs. I've owned them all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All of my Ceratogyrus make all my NW Ts look slower than slugs. Why do you think they aren't fast?

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All of my Ceratogyrus make all my NW Ts look slower than slugs. Why do you think they aren't fast?
I didn't say the weren't.
I said that a.ezendami, and e.pachypus are typically calmer old worlds, and in effect won't help transition someone into more typical old worlds.
I actually suggested marshalli as it's typically cranky but not as sporadic as an obt