E.murinus uriticating

Hwarang

Arachnopeon
"No urticating hairs on abdomen, but like it's enigmatic genus has urticating hairs on pedipalps!"
:?
Could someone explain it to me how does it works?? They are not kickin but punching ;) uriticating hairs? Do they have a bald pedipalps instead of abdomen?
How does it looks like?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an adult female and some slings...I am aware that they throw hair from there palps but I have never seen this... :?

Regards, Mike :worship:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've never seen an Ephebopus use urticating setae as a defense either. Mine just try to bite. But I've heard that they rub their pedipalps together to dislodge. In what fashion they do this I have no idea. Hopefully some one who has read the papers on this or have seen it first hand can elaborate more.

-Lonnie

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. irminia is another NW that lacks the urticulating hairs.

Although E. murinus apparently used its palps to throw them, I have never witnessed that behavior with mine.
Both of these species are known to be more skittish than the average NW spider because they are more prone to defend themselves aggressively, like OW, for the same reasons.
M. robustom I believe has an interesting feature in that they have long, barbed hairs on their back legs which they will use to impale their prey, or fend off attackers, even kicking up their back legs like a bucking horse.
Is this accurate? And do other Megaphobema have this trait as well?

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The urticating bristles on Ephebopus ssp. are on the sides of the femora of the palps, toward the chelicerae.
Sometimes, while you may think your Ephebopus is merely defending itself in a classic old-world "rear up and slap at the air" mode, it's actually giving you a little surprise hehe.
They do seem to go through their supply of uriticating hair quickly, though.

The next time one molts, check it out. There are probably bald spots on the sides of the palps.

-Garrick

eight

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool I will have to look!!!

I never thought about it, but it does make sense!!! :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Garrick,

Do you know what type of urticating bristles they have? Type 1,2,3,4, etc or a combination?

-Lonnie

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if there's more than one type present. I do know they possess the 5th type discovered and it's (so far) unique to them. So I guess you'd call it "Type V" (of six varieties now known). Sam Marshall wrote a paper on it.

-Garrick
eight

Hwarang

Arachnopeon
AphonopelmaTX said:
Garrick,
Type 1,2,3,4, etc or a combination?
-Lonnie
I've never heard of "bristles type" :8o Could You say somethig more? I'll be grateful for examples.

Hwarang

Arachnopeon
It could... but it's in russian :/ But i already fid a chapter in Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Thanks a lot