Dyskinetic Syndrome?

spidernewbie

Arachnopeon
I have attached a video of my B smithi walking. I fear that she may be exhibiting signs of DKS. Please tell me if you think she has it or not.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No.

Also, you say "signs of DKS" but DKS isn't a disease in itself, it's actually a collective term for the symptoms exhibited either when a tarantula has been poisoned (by pesticides or other chemicals), is severely dehydrated or has an internal parasite.

boina

Lady of the mites
No.

That's the normal walk of a very scared and stessed tarantula.

spidernewbie

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much. Such a relief. How should I make her less stressful? I normally don't handle her and only took her out for the video. She has been living well for a little more than 2 years and these symptoms have only started showing about 3 weeks ago. What could be causing this stress in her?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much. Such a relief. How should I make her less stressful? I normally don't handle her and only took her out for the video. She has been living well for a little more than 2 years and these symptoms have only started showing about 3 weeks ago. What could be causing this stress in her?
Posting images of the enclosure it lives in is a good start in the event that something in its environment caused an issue we will be able to see it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What could be causing this stress in her?
Well, more than one factor.

There's a proper hide? (this is very important)

There's almost 5 inches of substrate? (trust me, certain Theraphosidae, even if they aren't obligate burrowers at all, sometimes they feel the need/wants to dig a bit or even burrow, nonetheless)

As others said, post a pic of the enclosure if you can.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some ppl say dks is real and some say it isn’t...

But I think u should stop poking ur smithi sling. Part of me thinks it’s just trying to get away really fast from ur touch and is kinda jumpy... If it has dks and dks is real, I would say it is suuuuuuuuper minor. Don’t worry until u have to and I don’t think u have to yet. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The set up isn't, technically, bad. Now I will tell you what being you I would do.

If the chance to change the enclosure isn't possible (I'm not a fan of 'little' T's into big cages, but just me) I personally will add more inches of substrate, just for remain in the 'safe' area if the Theraphosidae decide to climb (and subsequently fall).

The position (with dirt etc) of the hide is ok, but a clear one? Uhm, no. If you can, replace that with a piece of old good cork bark.

That Petco device in the enclosure is useless, man, remove that. However that meter can be used for customize a Cold Steel (™) 'Brooklyn Smasher' cough cough baseball bat and hit hard the head of someone, ih ih... saying:
"Feel the power of Petco humidity numbers!" :angelic:

Not a big fan of too much higher fake leaves but it's ok. Not a bad job.

Sana

Arachnoprince
The clear hide would be okay if you bury it a bit. I’ve had success with the technique previously.

spidernewbie

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much. And that humidity thing isn't really for her. That enclosure used to have hermit crabs years ago, and that humidity thing is glued on there. Don't know if I'm able to remove it. I don't really use it. I bought new substrate and will place a lot more of it in there. I will go buy a better hide too.