Dyskinetic syndrome (dks)

Dravyn

Arachnopeon
Hey thanks for posting this Stan, too bad it got overshadowed by the other thread. I think that the sort of research you mention is the only way we'll get any helpful data on DKS. I wish I could contribute to this more but I just don't do the breeding thing. No time! Yes, I waste lots of time on AB but I do that from work. Now if they'd let me breed spiders at my desk...
I think I might actually have an answer for something. I noticed that dks has mostly been in the grammostola genus

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think I might actually have an answer for something. I noticed that dks has mostly been in the grammostola genus
Nope ;) All species can develop these symptoms. Also, 'dks' is not a thing in itself but a symptom of something else.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
It is just a made up term for a bunch of symptoms that is not an illness onto itself.
These symptoms usually have another cause, like being exposed to toxins someway or another.
Read this whole thread, it has bern explained into detail.
In case that's not enough, read this thread, especially Viper69's post.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/dyskinetic-syndrome.289958/
Why are you worried, does your spider act weird?
No. All mine are just slings right now. I had heard perfumes and airfreshners might be suspect. I use to use both. Just trying to make sure mine stay healthy as I can. Trying to find out all I can about various things. A YouTube friend of mine kinda inherited a couple T's that unfortunately have this horrible disease. It was heartbreaking to watch to say the least. One is an already mature male and the other a subadult female, I believe. Whatever causes it, I hope someone figures out every thing. I love my babies as I know everyone does. Can't believe I just said I actually love a spider and meant it :O. If someone would've told me I'd be saying that a year ago, I would've accused them of being crazy, lol. Ty Andrea

mersch

Arachnopeon
No. All mine are just slings right now. I had heard perfumes and airfreshners might be suspect. I use to use both. Just trying to make sure mine stay healthy as I can. Trying to find out all I can about various things. A YouTube friend of mine kinda inherited a couple T's that unfortunately have this horrible disease. It was heartbreaking to watch to say the least. One is an already mature male and the other a subadult female, I believe. Whatever causes it, I hope someone figures out every thing. I love my babies as I know everyone does. Can't believe I just said I actually love a spider and meant it :O. If someone would've told me I'd be saying that a year ago, I would've accused them of being crazy, lol. Ty Andrea

mersch

Arachnopeon
I havent been actively on this forum since my last T passed in 2012. I've had many before that. All in a multi species house with dogs/cats and have used flea/tick drops on all the cats and dogs. The T's I had were always in some sort of commen room that the cat/dog would also be in at times (but not able to get near the T's enclosures) So this is the 1st I've of the DKS symptoms. Is it something that has been on the increase in recent years? Or just more reported as hobby keeping has grown? Non of my T's ever exhibited any of the symptoms. wondering because I am looking into get another T......

cold blood

Staff member
Like what??
Saying a t has DKS is like saying one has "runny nose syndrome".

Yeah, runny nose is what's happening, but its not the cause, its the result of a cause...which could vary greatly from a cold, the flu, pneumonia (etc.), allergies, or just the cold weather you are outside skiing in.

DKS is a description of a symptom, of which the cause has been known to vary, although poison exposure and dehydration seem to be the most common...but they wouldn't be the only causes and fact is that we just don't always know the specific cause as tarantula necropsies aren't too popular.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
I havent been actively on this forum since my last T passed in 2012. I've had many before that. All in a multi species house with dogs/cats and have used flea/tick drops on all the cats and dogs. The T's I had were always in some sort of commen room that the cat/dog would also be in at times (but not able to get near the T's enclosures) So this is the 1st I've of the DKS symptoms. Is it something that has been on the increase in recent years? Or just more reported as hobby keeping has grown? Non of my T's ever exhibited any of the symptoms. wondering because I am looking into get another T......
I'm not really sure myself. I just got into the hobby a few months ago and just recently heard about and saw a couple T's that has it. I believe it is something that has been going on and escalating for a while. Sad thing is, only cure for them is to molt out of it and sometimes even that doesn't work. That's what I've read and heard. It's heartbreaking to say the least even if it's not my pet...

cold blood

Staff member
Its not escalating...there's just more ts out there and more people talking....its not a common occurrence....in 20 years that incident with my neighbor is the only time I have seen such symptoms aside from you tube. Its not something to worry about until it happens...like your next car accident...we don't stop driving just because a boom could happen...cause it probably isn't going to happen today.

SupermaticShark

Arachnopeon
My daughter rescued a T from a convention because the owner of the animal as well as many others was mistreating them the alligator was taped up for 16 hours A-day we brought her home. We have had her for aprox 3 years no she's aprox 4 yrs old She started showing signs 3 days ago From what I saw her acting like it looked like a parasite was controlling her from what I've watched on nature shows then she started the curling up then I knew exactly what it was but immediately put her in the snake enclosure with the heat on on paper towels she's made it through the night and seems more responsive since yesterday but is still curled so I'm concerned that it may be a parasite it could be build-up and pesticides we don't know That's the main problem we feed our food appropriate diet and varied diet make sure that they are hydrated and do not expose them to pesticieds there's no pesticides used in the house so I do not understand where it is coming from Maybe it is a form of distemper but I have seen the same kind of behavior in crabs that were dehydrated as well So I think we're looking at many possible causes but until more is looked into about it no one's ever gonna really know for sure the cause and unless necropsies are done which they're kind of hard to come by we won't know Because they dry out so quickly and the costs are so high in testing what's actually in that animals biochemistry at the time. So I'm hoping she's strong enough to fight off whatever it is my grandson has fallen completely in love with her at 3 years old and kisses her enclosure good night She solved my arachnophobia because I had been bitten by a T before and found out I'm anaphylactic she's never once raised a threat to me since we've owned her Let me Hold her on many occaisions if she doesn't make it she will be missed

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My daughter rescued a T from a convention because the owner of the animal as well as many others was mistreating them the alligator was taped up for 16 hours A-day we brought her home. We have had her for aprox 3 years no she's aprox 4 yrs old She started showing signs 3 days ago From what I saw her acting like it looked like a parasite was controlling her from what I've watched on nature shows then she started the curling up then I knew exactly what it was but immediately put her in the snake enclosure with the heat on on paper towels she's made it through the night and seems more responsive since yesterday but is still curled so I'm concerned that it may be a parasite it could be build-up and pesticides we don't know That's the main problem we feed our food appropriate diet and varied diet make sure that they are hydrated and do not expose them to pesticieds there's no pesticides used in the house so I do not understand where it is coming from Maybe it is a form of distemper but I have seen the same kind of behavior in crabs that were dehydrated as well So I think we're looking at many possible causes but until more is looked into about it no one's ever gonna really know for sure the cause and unless necropsies are done which they're kind of hard to come by we won't know Because they dry out so quickly and the costs are so high in testing what's actually in that animals biochemistry at the time. So I'm hoping she's strong enough to fight off whatever it is my grandson has fallen completely in love with her at 3 years old and kisses her enclosure good night She solved my arachnophobia because I had been bitten by a T before and found out I'm anaphylactic she's never once raised a threat to me since we've owned her Let me Hold her on many occaisions if she doesn't make it she will be missed
Please post pictures of set up and spider,it will help in finding out what the problem is. You mention it 'moving like controlled', did it flip on its back as well? If yes, it was molting and touching a spider during molt can do serious damage.

SupermaticShark

Arachnopeon
Please post pictures of set up and spider,it will help in finding out what the problem is. You mention it 'moving like controlled', did it flip on its back as well? If yes, it was molting and touching a spider during molt can do serious damage.
Nope she did not flip she did the death curl. Watched her behavior prior to 3 molts which she just did less than 1 and 1/2 months ago. She was acting abnormally prior to doing the curl up but to me her movements seem like she was a puppet more than a T

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
Yes, that is the worst case I've ever seen. Most graphic. It's as if someone poured gasoline on him and set him on fire. It's horrible to think that but it looks that painful. If this happens to one of mine, if I can build up the heart to do it, I'll euthanize mine. I couldn't stand to see it suffer..