1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysdera crocata makes hole after being fed

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Wolfspidurguy, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    Sorry for the bad camera work rushed to catch this on camera

• Like Like x 1
  2. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    This makes me love them so much more I don't really know what's going on there but it does remind me of the "happy dance" that tarantulas do I also wander what would happen if you put a hide in there with her

3. Wolfspidurguy

i wish i had a better camera so i could of caught the spinnerets making the web the two little "boopers" were spinning around and it looked like it was really quickly yet gently rubbing the dirt with its bum. i was dying laughing before i started the video. i highly recommend getting one but there almost never in stock anywhere i look to buy them and ive never been able to find one in the wild

4. The wolf

U.K.
    They're really common here apparently so none are ever for sale but I can't find any anywhere in the wild but when I do I will have a breeding colony and everything

5. Wolfspidurguy

I bought mine from here: http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Woodlouse-Hunter-Spider-bic809.htm
    But like I said they rarely have them in stock. While I was waiting for these to be in stock I would just check this link every once in a while or if I was buying something else from the sight (which I highly recommend they have amazing prices on both inverts and shipping and it was delivered super quick like so quick it took me by suprise) I would make sure to check if they had any dysdera c. In stock. Only down side is it requires you to purchase a minimum of i think it was either 11 or 12 dollars worth of things and dysdera c.s are only 6 so just be ready to buy something you diddnt plan on if you want one of these. I'd recommend to get to that amount without marking a risky impulse buy they always have either common house spiders or cellar spiders in stock and buying one or two of those would get you to the minimum

6. The wolf

U.K.
    Bugs in cyberspace don't ship to the uk :(

• Sad Sad x 2
  7. Wolfspidurguy

Oh sorry man my bad... I mean if you were to pay me I could buy one when there in stock and ship it to you but I'd have to find a way to ship it without the UK and or the US postal service stabbing me in the appendix for shipping it cross continentally and I'd need a really long lasting heat pack. But if you'd be willing to cover those costs +shipping I would totally be down to do that

8. Wolfspidurguy

I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on bugs in cyberspace it would be awesome to get a male and do a breeding project. It would also result in a lot more people on the boards haveing these guys if I were to sell or give away the slings and that's always a good thing imo

9. The wolf

U.K.
    The amazing morphology incredible behaviour and the communal nature of these spiders makes me love them so much
    This spring and summer I'm going to look everywhere for them,hopefully I go on holiday to somewhere like Devon they'll certainly have some over there

10. Wolfspidurguy

WAIT THEY CAN BE KEPT COMMUNALLY!?!?!?!?
    i wouldnt exactly count too much on finding them in the wild from my experience so far there pet holes but not in the traditional way. they build that web ceiling above its burrow and stick dirt all over the top of it in a really thick layer. looking down at it in its substraight from the top i cant tell where its burrow is. the only reason i can observe it is because it made its burrow against the side of the container so i can see in. ive heard they can be found under rocks and logs but im not too sure how true that is from my experience

11. The wolf

U.K.
    Wait they make like trap doors,sort of and they hunt as well these guys keep getting better

They are semi comunal but Ive never heard of any cannibalism occurring and I have even heard of prey sharing

12. Wolfspidurguy

hmmm intresting

13. Veles

Veles Arachnobaron Active Member

Actually they arent hard to find if you have a large piles of cork bark in your yard or nearby forest.

14. The wolf

U.K.
  15. Veles

Veles Arachnobaron Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maybe it's pre-molt? Just a wild guess.

17. The wolf

U.K.
    True spiders are so small and have such fast metabolisms that they don't really have a premoult in the same ways Ts do and from what it looks like the little spiderbro does this quite regularly
    Good guess though :)

18. Wolfspidurguy

no i fed it two days ago she just does that