DYing millipede?!?!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Barbedwirecat said:
Del montes natures goodness baby food Pears. Chopped mixed fruit (prev frozen) thats it :(
hmm, i'm thinking they/it were/was already going bad when you got it

possibly it you had fed some kind of high surface area fruit or vege i would say maybe pesticides, but no. no husbandry failure on your part could jack up a big ol' millie very quickly. to be honest, they seem to be the most neglect resistant bug i've ever kept ;)

Twilight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sigh.....you know....there is still that reasoning that it was just simply old and finally died....sometimes people tend to dig deep into something that was never really there.

Those guys are indeed hardy, however, if its time for them to die they will be like centipedes and just die on you for little reasons.

I'd check that baby food for anything that might be harmful to pedes, but I doubt. I've never fed baby food to pedes before, I believe I've heard of it before however. Its best in my opinion just to serve chopped and sometimes boiled vegetable/fruit matter, after of course, carefully washing it.

Few known reasons:
-Pesticides in and around your tank or the food you gave it
-The plants that you decorated your tank with is not suitable for the pedes
-Again...old age..
-Maybe shipping tired it out

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It just doesn't sound like anything you did. Hey, don't give up yet, but if it does pass, well...is there a reptile or herp show in your area? I'd just try to buy one locally, maybe a smaller one. Who knows, the package could have been left in the back of a hot truck. Temperatures could have gotten so high as not high enough to cook the millie but high enough to cook the necessary flora in its guts.

Barbedwirecat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I know the person that delivered it was not bright. That package had big red arrows pointing UP on it and if you have ever seen the MADTV scetch with the UPS guys and how he tosses around packages thats pretty much what the guy did. I tried to make sure delivery was under 85 degrees in both areas, but....well.....

The reptiles hows are all about 4+ hours away from me....and the way the gas prices are....I might as well pay for shipping.

The milli passed away at some point this evening. I feel bad, but at least not I know it really wasn't my fault, at least I hope. I tried the best I could.

I'll be keeping the tank bare again for a few months to let everythingsettle back down, I might let it dry out a little to calm the mites that might be in there.

Hopefully the Fed-ex guys didn't make my tortoise retarded as well. Otherwise I'm gonna lay into him.