1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwarf Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Lamia, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    Once a dwarf always one, bilbo baggins haha. I want a dwarf Goliath bird eater haha .then a real one

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

My guy has been alright, usually just ducks into a hole in his webbing, I suppose they might try to escape if not settled but mine has always been pretty quick to web everything up. Think more along the lines of "a mini GBB with more attitude".

• Like Like x 1
  4. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Most dwarf species, at least the ones that I have experience with, are very reclusive - especially the Cyriocosmus and Kochiana. Species like Hapalopus, Davus, and Euathlus, are sometimes more visible, but they can be extremely fast and skittish. Personally, with the exception of the Euathlus genus - who tend to be less speedy - I would never recommend a smaller/dwarf species to someone who does not have any experience.
    Also, unless you can find a juvenile/sub-adult/adult, spiderlings of those species are tiny... sometimes less than 1/4". Finding larger individuals, for a decent price, is not as common for many of the smaller species.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. MikeyD

MikeyD Arachnosquire Active Member

I started out with dwarf Ts in the genus Cyriocosmus. I have C elegans, C perezmilesi, C chicoi, and C ritae. I almost never see my C elegans, maybe once in the past 8 months and it was in the middle of the night. So far C chicoi has been the most visible and least wary, C perezmilesi is visible but highly wary and quick to retreat to its burrow, and my C ritae is still too young to fully judge its behaviour. I don't think I'll ever see my Kochiana brunnipes again after rehousing it from its large vile. Really almost all of my dwarfs are fast and wary and they almost all immediately hide with even slight disturbances. I do really enjoy my Neoholothele incei because they are often visible and they are very reactive to prey but they are also very fast and that might be more intimidating than some of the slower moving species. Given enough space to web and make themselves comfortable I could see them being a good dwarf to start with, well other than when it comes time to rehouse a very fast little T, but still probably not the ideal first T unless you are prepared for speed and a possible escape. For the most part they keep to their burrow and web and aren't prone to bolting out of the enclosure.
    It seems like the best beginner dwarfs that aren't super wary and fast are also harder to find available and they usually command a higher price and are much slower growing in comparison to the little speed demons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dmac

dmac Arachnopeon

My H. sp. Colombia large hasn't done much burrowing. Plenty of webbing though. It is skittish and fast, as others have mentioned is typical of the species. My girlfriend has a D. diamantinensis and it's actually quite chill. But when it moves, it moves, so need to be prepared for that. I have a C. elegans and while it does burrow, it also comes out and wanders around its enclosure quite a bit. When it's in premolt though, it buries itself for weeks. Also not quite as skittish as the Colombia large. Finally, my girlfriend also has two E. sp. Red/Homeomma sp. Fire and they're the chillest little spiders around. We like them all of course, but if skittishness and speed are concerns, the E. sp. Red would be a good start.

7. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    Mine just molted, is currently trying to escape, has fantastic orange and black colour post-molt, and has a large kidney-bean shaped abdomen, which I find kinda unique. Not a great eater though....takes a LOT of time with attacks.

8. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    How big is it? They get more bold when they get older and prey response gets better. Mine are subadults now (after three years...:shifty:) and eat very well. I'd actually use larger prey - they are not afraid but they sometimes seem to consider small prey not worth the effort. They get very docile as they age and the breeder said the adults are nearly like E. sp. red - curious and very docile. I can totally see that happening with mine.

9. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    I've got a sexed female and she's about 2 1/4 inches plus DLS but quick 'thick'. Mine is quite skittish, and just generally not a great eater, I've almost gone to feeding her every two weeks (I haven't done that with any of my others). That said, I have a sexed female juvie E sp. red the same size and a smaller unsexed sling and both have attacked tongs and even a deli cup lid.

I would consider mine more active than curious. Excellent watching pet, it doesn't get scared off by light or movement. It uses a good bit of its rather large 9 inch long enclosure since a rehouse, and it also uses its hide every day like clockwork. It will often dump unwanted food and decorations in its water dish. But she really wants out for some reason, constantly working around the large enclosure looking for a route out. In comparison my Eu. sp. reds just sit out and look pretty all day. Nowhere near as active. Between these two species they are likely my slowest growers/molters and least vigorous eaters….we'll see how my newest (but larger) A chalcodes compares.....

10. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

WEll you probably save space, I’ve not ventured into these species. Getting larger spiders sure took up a lot of space. Many lasiodora, pick whatever you like I guess . Smaller Ts can be fast and still have attitude, obt are rather small Mine is only 3.5-4.5”

11. Lamia

Lamia Arachnopeon

USA
    OMG.. I am in love with so many now.. and I think my daughter likes twice the amount that I do. Thank you everyone for the input!

OMG what a gorgeous T!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  12. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I love the markings on its abdomen and how mobile the abdomen is when it webs. (Mine is named Bumblebutt for those reasons.)

Something slower is probably better for a new keeper. Davus pentaloris might make a good second tarantula (and there will be a second). They can be a little fast and skittish, so you wouldn't want to handle them, but once settled into their enclosures, they aren't hard to manage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ianhunt

ianhunt Arachnopeon

i have a e.sp.red but it took me forever to find 1, and it took an eternity to raise it from sling to subadult but it was worth it. every time i open its enclosure it always atempts to go out and explore.:p

14. Lamia

Lamia Arachnopeon

USA
    :mad: how lucky are you?? I am still looking and investigating all the options.. everyone has helped so much.. luckily I do have time on my side.. I am hoping to get my daughter one for graduation, in about a year... sooner if i have the chance..

15. Lamia

Lamia Arachnopeon

USA
    Since everyone here has been so wonderful and helpful..

Any thoughts on a Dolichothele diamantinensis?? I know they are REALLY fast.. but other thoughts?

Honestly, I have kinda feel in love with this one.

16. Storm76

Storm76 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Germany
    Can I throw in Heterothele gabonensis and Heterothele villosella? Both are dwarf baboons and look beautiful, web quite some and have some attitude - though not much. But they look great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MikeyD

MikeyD Arachnosquire Active Member

Undoubtedly interesting dwarf species but they are Old Worlds and probably not an ideal species for a beginner, especially when there are plenty of New World species to choose from.

18. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I wouldn't recommend them to a brand new keeper due to their speed. (Sometimes they can be a little defensive as well). However, they might work as a second or third tarantula for someone who is careful.

My male held this threat pose for two hours in response to a mealworm with a crushed head.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Lyrognathus

Lyrognathus Arachnopeon

Alberta
    Normally I'd agree, but if OP is comfortable with the speed of other dwarfs these shouldn't really be a problem given their relatively weak venom.

20. ianhunt

ianhunt Arachnopeon

my euathlus sp. red just moulted and yet its size hasnt increase that much :happy:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2