Dwarf Tarantulas?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never use water dishes as they get water from their food and when I mist the tank.
I do use water dishes in my communal dwarf tarantula cages. But.... You live in Vancouver, I live in the Arizona desert. Yours can probably get all the moisture they need from their food, down here they need a little help with that. I do, however, use shallow water dishes (petri dishes), and boost the humidity but spilling more water into the substrate than in the dishes.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never use water dishes as they get water from their food and when I mist the tank. Some people recommend not to use water dishes anyway with Dwarf tarantulas. And I usually give 1-4 feeder items per tarantula depending on the colony once a week. As for how many in a 30 gallon, shoot me a message and we can figure out what social species you want to pursue after you gain some more experience with dwarf species.

Never use calci-vita powders as there is no need to dust an exoskeleton as a tarantula does not consume the exoskeleton. There is also debate on whether excess calcium causes molting issues, so it is best to avoid it anyway.

As for Ischnothele caudata where have you read they are highly venomous? Please provide a link if you can. I have never heard this from various keepers and collectors of this species and I will sometimes transfer them by handling them. I know a common misconception is that when anything is considered a funnel-web they believe they have strong venom like the Australian funnel-webs.
then I think someone made an error. I can't find the source of information. Since it was a comment on youtube by the owner of the spider or tarantula.

Hmm that sounds simple enough. No water and just 1-4 feeder insects per spider. Ill give 2-4 per spider then. :p

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I do use water dishes in my communal dwarf tarantula cages. But.... You live in Vancouver, I live in the Arizona desert. Yours can probably get all the moisture they need from their food, down here they need a little help with that. I do, however, use shallow water dishes (petri dishes), and boost the humidity but spilling more water into the substrate than in the dishes.
I think I could try using a "drip" system. The ones sold for anoles. That would be a good idea? Cause don't spiders and tarantulas drink the water from leaves and dew?

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
They will also drink water from a bowl, and bowls for Ts are incredibly easy to find/improvise. No need for anything costly.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

When I lived in Calgary, though not as dry, it was still more dry than here. I also did the same technique of spilling water into the substrate, but still had no need for a water dish. I also had a glass top with little ventilation, so this kept it from drying out too quickly.

The best suggestion then depending on where someone is located and if they use a low ventilation glass top or a high ventilation screen lid is to supply water accordingly in the most efficient means. With dwarf species a water dish can be considered treacherous by some unless it is incredibly shallow (both the dish and water level) like the petri dishes you use. I actually never considered petri dishes in the past as I would use bottle caps from milk jugs or sports drinks. What an eyesore those were, but great idea on the petri dishes.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I lived in Calgary, though not as dry, it was still more dry than here. I also did the same technique of spilling water into the substrate, but still had no need for a water dish. I also had a glass top with little ventilation, so this kept it from drying out too quickly.

The best suggestion then depending on where someone is located and if they use a low ventilation glass top or a high ventilation screen lid is to supply water accordingly in the most efficient means. With dwarf species a water dish can be considered treacherous by some unless it is incredibly shallow (both the dish and water level) like the petri dishes you use. I actually never considered petri dishes in the past as I would use bottle caps from milk jugs or sports drinks. What an eyesore those were, but great idea on the petri dishes.
Would using those "liquid" gels made for cricket water work?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nope. Tarantulas cannot acquire moisture from them. The best analogy is someone taking a straw and trying to suck the water out of jello. It's basically the same anatomically for a tarantula if they try to "consume" cricket gel.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope. Tarantulas cannot acquire moisture from them. The best analogy is someone taking a straw and trying to suck the water out of jello. It's basically the same anatomically for a tarantula if they try to "consume" cricket gel.
So will that "drip" system be okay? since its meant for anoles and its to simulate morning dew or something. It costs like 5-10bucks so idrc.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So will that "drip" system be okay? since its meant for anoles and its to simulate morning dew or something. It costs like 5-10bucks so idrc.
Drip systems tend to soak areas. Best solution is to cover part of a screen top with glass or clear plastic. You leave enough open to allow for some ventilation and just mist periodically when the substrate starts to dry out. I always keep my substrate moist, but not wet with this species.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
Interesting interpretation, but not one that I would agree with. "Expert", in my opinion, is someone who knows his/her subject very well. It has nothing to do with whether they are nice humble people or angry curmudgeons. There are no degrees offered anywhere for tarantula husbandry, so that can't very well be used as a standard either. (Plus degrees do not always guarantee someone knows their subject - only that they survived an eductional process.)

If someone is rude but provides valuable information, while another person is sweet and humble and provides useless misinformation, which one would you consider the most useful? Whose advice would you follow? I'll place my bets on the person who knows what they are talking about, regardless of how gently he talks about it.

Baboonfan, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder towards anyone who tells you that you are wrong. You were much more inflamatory in your responses than the people you are attacking were in theirs, and only because they didn't coddle you. Yes, Joe can be blunt. I don't always agree with him, but I have to admit he generally knows his subject well. His expertise does not diminish because of his bluntness, although his popularity with some members might. But your tirade didn't exactly reflect well on you either.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

The value of large cages will change based on a number of other considerations. Cage size that works well for a person who provides one set of conditions will not work as well for someone who provides a different set of conditions. It's not that one answer is the correct one. As has been pointed out many times before, animals in the wild do not live in small cages.

"Territory" is also a misused term in a lot of cases. I know what you meant in your message quoted above, but I think I'd use something like "effective hunting area" instead.
For future reference I am a combat veteran, I do not need to be coddled. Computers and internet have proven to be valuable but I cant help but notice that too many people grow 30 feet tall and bulk up to legendary proportions when communicating over the internet. Anyone is free to disagree with me, but harcore rambo style keyboard commandos who once punked Paul Bunyon in prison will get no respect from me. When feeling tough turn the computer off and enlist, we have two wars going on. When communicating on the computer it is best to pretend that the other person is about two feet away.

Effective hunting area is fine. My point was simple, I dont use overly large cages anymore because of issues I had with them in the past.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I just mist every day.

I don't like water dishes. Too many drowned crickets and mold scares.
I use a small water dish but also mist. Alot of good advice was posted on this topic. Humidity can be established by limiting ventilation and using a spray bottle.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

then I think someone made an error. I can't find the source of information. Since it was a comment on youtube by the owner of the spider or tarantula.

Hmm that sounds simple enough. No water and just 1-4 feeder insects per spider. Ill give 2-4 per spider then. :p

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I think I could try using a "drip" system. The ones sold for anoles. That would be a good idea? Cause don't spiders and tarantulas drink the water from leaves and dew?
Thats a good idea.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Drip systems tend to soak areas. Best solution is to cover part of a screen top with glass or clear plastic. You leave enough open to allow for some ventilation and just mist periodically when the substrate starts to dry out. I always keep my substrate moist, but not wet with this species.
Sounds good and simple enough. Thanks for the help man!

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

LoL @ punking Paul Bunyon in prison.
But for reals, I actually did that.
The whole argument about punking or whatever sorta confused me :S so i'ma try to stay out of that one. lol.:confused::barf::eek:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For future reference I am a combat veteran, I do not need to be coddled.
I've been around combat veterans my whole life. They are as likely to be in need of coddling as any other group. So.... let's get back to discussing tarantulas.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
I've been around combat veterans my whole life. They are as likely to be in need of coddling as any other group. So.... let's get back to discussing tarantulas.
What? We dont need it. I agree that Ts should dominate the conversation though. How about we just agree that these boards should be used for positive advice and discussion while pretending the people we are speaking to are two feet away? I think it sounds fair.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

I dont think so, I never trusted that sort of product. I think your drip system idea could work though.

The only problem with a drip system would be trying to avoid over soaking the area. A water dish right under the drip could work but only if the drip could be slowed to the point of never overfilling the water dish. You might even be able to use it on several cages at once.

One idea I had that I have yet to attempt is to creat a water dish that refills itself. They sell them at pet stores (usually for dogs) but smaller ones can be bought. To save money and work within the realistic space I wonder if the little shipping containers the TS come in could be used in the same way. The shipping container could be fitted to a small dish with a hole drilled in the bottom. The dish would refill itself and the shipping container would only require occasional refills. An airline attached to a syringe could be used to refill the containers so the container would never be left open in the cage. I am of course thinking of small cages but larger systems could be made.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What? We dont need it. I agree that Ts should dominate the conversation though. How about we just agree that these boards should be used for positive advice and discussion while pretending the people we are speaking to are two feet away? I think it sounds fair.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

I dont think so, I never trusted that sort of product. I think your drip system idea could work though.

The only problem with a drip system would be trying to avoid over soaking the area. A water dish right under the drip could work but only if the drip could be slowed to the point of never overfilling the water dish. You might even be able to use it on several cages at once.

One idea I had that I have yet to attempt is to creat a water dish that refills itself. They sell them at pet stores (usually for dogs) but smaller ones can be bought. To save money and work within the realistic space I wonder if the little shipping containers the TS come in could be used in the same way. The shipping container could be fitted to a small dish with a hole drilled in the bottom. The dish would refill itself and the shipping container would only require occasional refills. An airline attached to a syringe could be used to refill the containers so the container would never be left open in the cage. I am of course thinking of small cages but larger systems could be made.
You maybe on to something. But it may apply better to other species of animals. lol. As for those that are used for dogs. I don't really think its good to leave them there. Doesn't let you assert dominance and such.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One idea I had that I have yet to attempt is to creat a water dish that refills itself. They sell them at pet stores (usually for dogs) but smaller ones can be bought.
One problem that comes to mind is that frequently water dishes go empty due to webbing or substrate being pushed into the dish by the tarantula, causing the water to wick out into the substrate. If you have a water dish that automatically refills itself when this happens you run the risk of flooding the cage - the dish would contiue to empty itself as fast as your device refills it.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
You maybe on to something. But it may apply better to other species of animals. lol. As for those that are used for dogs. I don't really think its good to leave them there. Doesn't let you assert dominance and such.
Mine arent communal, but I dont see a problem with communal environments. My idea stems from being away from home alot as a truck driver. I can feed them enough but water becomes an issue. A breeder friend is taking care of my Ts right now due to increased hours brought on by the tornados in Alabama.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine arent communal, but I dont see a problem with communal environments. My idea stems from being away from home alot as a truck driver. I can feed them enough but water becomes an issue. A breeder friend is taking care of my Ts right now due to increased hours brought on by the tornados in Alabama.
trucker? Always wondered what the life of a trucker is like. But never thought of being one just because I couldn't stand the fact being away from my toads or pets.

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
trucker? Always wondered what the life of a trucker is like. But never thought of being one just because I couldn't stand the fact being away from my toads or pets.
The pay isnt bad but being on the road all the time takes its toll. The idea is to gain as much experience as possible so local companies will hire us. Then we get to be home every day to raise our Ts. Im hoping for a coca cola position.

I miss my Ts. My Trinidad Chevrons were growing and Ill miss out for about 4 months.