Dwarf Species of T's

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Wow, does one sex typically grow faster than the other? I didn't think you could tell sex until they were closer to full size.
I have a macro lens that shows enough detail of both the ventral and the exuvia. They are already displaying a very obvious dark spot ventrally at 1". They are small adults, you can definitely sex them at 1" with the right tools. I was also able to correctly sex both my male and female Euathlus parvulus at the 1" mark.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a macro lens that shows enough detail of both the ventral and the exuvia. They are already displaying a very obvious dark spot ventrally at 1". They are small adults, you can definitely sex them at 1" with the right tools.
This is a 1" individual. If people want to tell me I'm wrong that he is male, it would please me a great deal to be wrong. :)
DSC00684-2.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Wow, does one sex typically grow faster than the other?
All other things being equal, male tarantulas tend to mature faster than females. (This may be an evolutionary mechanism to reduce inbreeding among sac-mates.)

I didn't think you could tell sex until they were closer to full size.
Once you have a molt that is large enough to manipulate without tearing it to shreds, you can attempt to sex it. By 2", the molt is often sexable without a microscope (although a good camera can help magnify the relevant details). Many have been able to sex even smaller slings with a microscope.

You may find this video by @z32upgrader helpful:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I wouldn't be against a sling, but I definitely would prefer something older, hoping the expo will have them. The expo is huge, not the Super Show but bug enough.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I have been check out the Euthalus sp. it seems for the dwarves they have a couple color morphs? right?

How much do these guys usually go for? I want to know what pricing I should be considering good but not dangerously cheap and not exuberant. I like them and I want to buy them I just want to make sure I get what I pay for but not get cheated etc.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you want to go for cute, go for the C.elegans. It has a freakin' heart on it's bum, it doesn't get cuter than that :D

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
So I have been check out the Euthalus sp. it seems for the dwarves they have a couple color morphs? right?

How much do these guys usually go for? I want to know what pricing I should be considering good but not dangerously cheap and not exuberant. I like them and I want to buy them I just want to make sure I get what I pay for but not get cheated etc.
When a batch of WC legal imports come in I have seen adult/sub adult females go for as low as $60. You do take a risk, due to possible parasites and the stressful conditions that they go through in the process of export/import. On the other hand when there is a drought on an extremely popular slow growing T females command a high price. I just sold my adult female and a MM for $200 local and had many that asked about them. They sold in about 2 days local with no shipping.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I recently got an adult female Cyriocosmus ritae. She's absolutely stunning and TINY.

boina

Lady of the mites
No, actually I've never heard of color morphs in tarantulas. "Color morphs" are animals of the same species that have been bred to have various colors, like boas or pythons. The Euathlus sp. red and sp. yellow for example are completely different species, that are different in a lot more than just color. Yellow, for example, is smaller than red, among other differences. Then there are 'blue' and 'green' and they are much larger (not dwarfs at all) and look completely different. Those are simply species that are not scientifically described yet and someone decided it would be a good idea to name them by color...

Deb60

Arachnosquire

I live in England mine cost me £50 for a full glass set up , and for my Juvenile in November last year , he was being sold by someone down sizing their collection . Andrea 82 also mentioned the C Elgans another favourite of mine VERY cute as well as is the C Ritae. Smaller than the Eauthlus Red Sp .

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No, actually I've never heard of color morphs in tarantulas. "Color morphs" are animals of the same species that have been bred to have various colors, like boas or pythons. The Euathlus sp. red and sp. yellow for example are completely different species, that are different in a lot more than just color. Yellow, for example, is smaller than red, among other differences. Then there are 'blue' and 'green' and they are much larger (not dwarfs at all) and look completely different. Those are simply species that are not scientifically described yet and someone decided it would be a good idea to name them by color...
Euathlus is basically a dumping area for non-described species @Andee . B.smithi was Euathlus for example. (And is now B.hamorii).
And Euathlus species Red is not even that anymore, there has been research and it has been concluded that it is more similar to Homoeomma species, and is sold in Europe under Homoeomma sp. Red.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Euathlus is basically a dumping area for non-described species @Andee . B.smithi was Euathlus for example. (And is now B.hamorii).
And Euathlus species Red is not even that anymore, there has been research and it has been concluded that it is more similar to Homoeomma species, and is sold in Europe under Homoeomma sp. Red.
Gets very confusing , the E.Pulchorimaklaasi is confusing, I've been told two different things 1. It's the old name for it 2 . It's not the same as the others in the Eauthlus family , so don't worry you don't have two the same .

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Gets very confusing , the E.Pulchorimaklaasi is confusing, I've been told two different things 1. It's the old name for it 2 . It's not the same as the others in the Eauthlus family , so don't worry you don't have two the same .
pulcherimaklaasi is a case on its own, from what i've gathered. Iirc, @EulersK knows more about that...but I'm not sure...

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yes but are the species like that size, friendly or just generally calm? I don't want something that I have to worry about freaking out extremely when taking care of it. Biting if I do something stupid is fine, but what I am more worried about is it trying to escape and losing the little just because I am changing water etc.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes but are the species like that size, friendly or just generally calm? I don't want something that I have to worry about freaking out extremely when taking care of it. Biting if I do something stupid is fine, but what I am more worried about is it trying to escape and losing the little just because I am changing water etc.
My lass seems extremely laid back. She literally doesn't move when I take her lid off.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
pulcherimaklaasi is a case on its own, from what i've gathered. Iirc, @EulersK knows more about that...but I'm not sure...
E. pulcherrimaklaasi is actually a case of mistaken identity. It's a bit confusing.

What is in the hobby as E. truculentus is most likely actually an E. pulcherrimaklaasi, and what is in the hobby as E. pulcherrimaklaasi is actually either E. sp. "Green" or "Blue". E. truculentus likely has never existed in the hobby.

This is what this hobby calls an E. truculentus, but is actually more likely an E. pulcherrimaklaasi:

And this is what is in the hobby as E. pulcherrimaklaasi, but is actually E. sp. "Green":

The entire genus of Euathlus is due for an overhaul, as you can tell. It has served as a dumping ground for species for years, and because of that it's a bit of a mess. At one point, a common Brachypelma was considered a Euathlus!

Note: As always, NEVER just relabel your spiders! If you have one of the species listed above, keep the label that it was sold to you as.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
about is it trying to escape and losing the little just because I am changing water etc.
Then you are interested in the wrong animals as escapes are always possible, and often do happen. I have a small species that I keep in a KK, not because it needs the height, but because I need the height of KK walls to minimize escape as it's far FASTER than some other members of its genus, quite surprising.

If you want the low down on small Ts, there's a member on here who only keeps the dwarf species, and I believe has the largest collection of them of anyone on here currently to best of knowledge. I THOUGHT the person's name was LittleT.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Well I generally know escapes are possible, they are with any animal, trust me I have dealt with it with rodents, reptiles, and the insects, etc. I already have. The thing I want to avoid is something like a GBB from what I understand the majority of that species just wants to escape? If I am wrong that'd be nice XD. But I plan to keep all my dwarf T's in a minimum sized enclosure of something similar to 10 gallons. Or even more. As long as more room isn't detrimental for an adult t? I know it likely would be for a sling. I raise everything I would feed. They would get a huge variety as long as they would eat it.