Dwarf Species of T's

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have finally decided I might want a T. But I only honestly want a Dwarf species and would prefer a calm species, that I wouldn't have to worry about trying to escape every second while I do stuff to care for it. It would be cool if handleable but not necessary at all. I am a new T keeper, but I do research like crazy so won't take the plunge until doing at least 3+ months of research.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
OMG yay! I love chileans in general so getting a dwarf would be great XD! I generally want a dwarf because I like the compact size... that and I think it'd be easier to convince the rest of the house hold, they seem fine with the rest of the smaller spiders I keep, even the wolf spiders etc, but huge turantulas or venomous ones freak them out. Venom I understand, chubby, fuzzy, giant T's I don't.

Thanks so much sweetie <3 I must do so much research now ^w^ so happy!

Deb60

Arachnosquire
OMG yay! I love chileans in general so getting a dwarf would be great XD! I generally want a dwarf because I like the compact size... that and I think it'd be easier to convince the rest of the house hold, they seem fine with the rest of the smaller spiders I keep, even the wolf spiders etc, but huge turantulas or venomous ones freak them out. Venom I understand, chubby, fuzzy, giant T's I don't.

Thanks so much sweetie <3 I must do so much research now ^w^ so happy!
I have finally decided I might want a T. But I only honestly want a Dwarf species and would prefer a calm species, that I wouldn't have to worry about trying to escape every second while I do stuff to care for it. It would be cool if handleable but not necessary at all. I am a new T keeper, but I do research like crazy so won't take the plunge until doing at least 3+ months of research.
My first T was an Eauthlus Red Sp , very active ( not a pet rock) I also found him / her liked abit more by people as his not as big as my other Ts . Their the nearest your get to a pet dog in the spider world, they always seem to like to look out and see wants going around them . I'm actually into all the dawrf Ts now , they don't take up to much room, and I can seek one in without my husband or son noticing . They both like my Eauthlus Red sp , and I noticed when he was moulting they were keeping an eye on him ( his on our coffee table )

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My mom is still against it (I currently live with her because of some personal issues) but she usually can be worn down pretty easily with pictures and videos of adorableness. And she honestly isn't against the other insects or spiders I have. I think she just assumes tarantulas are huge and can be an issue then. I just need her to realize this little is truly a little one XD

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Feel like this needs to be mentioned. All tarantulas are venomous. Suze doesnt change that. Some have worse venom than others but they all hurt pretty bad. Telling someone they arent in order to persuade them would be lying unless you honestly didnt know.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Well I know tarantulas are venomous and some are dangerously so (though most of those aren't in the captive trade) honestly most of the true spiders I keep are far more dangerous and she knows this. She also knows that the species I am going for would have a bite worse than a bee/wasp sting. But she doesn't like large taratulas for some reason. And I don't get that. Since they are much more chill than most of the True spiders I keep since they can be extremely aggressive, especially if I need to move them or clean. A lot I can only use forceps with. She would never be forced to take care of them. We also have reptiles who can break your pinky if he decides to bite, and he only tolerates handling by me, and we have a parrot who is bonded to her that can cause the same damage. I am not quite sure why she doesn't want the tarantula. Honestly bee and wasp stings hurt yeah, but it doesn't cause any reprecussions in the long run unless you are full on allergic.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Well I know tarantulas are venomous and some are dangerously so (though most of those aren't in the captive trade) honestly most of the true spiders I keep are far more dangerous and she knows this. She also knows that the species I am going for would have a bite worse than a bee/wasp sting. But she doesn't like large taratulas for some reason. And I don't get that. Since they are much more chill than most of the True spiders I keep since they can be extremely aggressive, especially if I need to move them or clean. A lot I can only use forceps with. She would never be forced to take care of them. We also have reptiles who can break your pinky if he decides to bite, and he only tolerates handling by me, and we have a parrot who is bonded to her that can cause the same damage. I am not quite sure why she doesn't want the tarantula. Honestly bee and wasp stings hurt yeah, but it doesn't cause any reprecussions in the long run unless you are full on allergic.
Ok, i just misunderstood one of your earlier posts :). It was worded in a way that made it sound like you thought some werent, but i get you. My mom is slowly warming up to them. Its definitely a process, but once she sees how chill they usually are, she'll probably start googling them saying "Hey, you should get one of these, its pretty!" "No, mom. Those are mean and would make you spasm for a few weeks if something went bad." :rolleyes:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
lmao XD the pretty ones (like super super vibrant) are always so aggressive and often venomous *sighs*

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I am going to an expo in a month, I figure I will look for some of my species of various things there, including the Euathlus, so I can do kind of a test drive? if nothing else.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
lmao XD the pretty ones (like super super vibrant) are always so aggressive and often venomous *sighs*
Well, not all the pretty ones are that bad. C. cyaneopubescens and any of the Avics and Caribena come to mind. If you're ever interested in an arboreal that isn't too difficult, Avicularia minatrix is a beauty, and dwarfy;)

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Well, not all the pretty ones are that bad. C. cyaneopubescens and any of the Avics and Caribena come to mind. If you're ever interested in an arboreal that isn't too difficult, Avicularia minatrix is a beauty, and dwarfy;)
Very true. Avicularia and cousins are all very pretty and (mostly) pretty calm. Cant recommend the C. cyaneopubescens enough, although they can be extremely skittish and if you get a sling and it bolts, you wont be able to see it move. Mine teleported on me once and that was the last time i took the lid off to feed it.

cold blood

Staff member
Well I know tarantulas are venomous and some are dangerously so (though most of those aren't in the captive trade
Actually, they are in the captive trade.

Also, Hapalopus sp. are really pretty. But can be a little quick.
This species, other than being a dwarf, is exactly the opposite of what the op is looking for.

Op, if the sp. reds aren't available (they tend to be scarce and a little expensive) another to look for that would be great is P. scrofa. Cheaper, a little easier to find, a better feeding response and the same calm demeanor....and only get to about 3" tops.

Last edited:

SpiderBrains

Arachnopeon
I'm also interested in getting an Euathlus sp. Red as my first T, but I've been having a hard time finding anything other than slings available. With their slow growth rate that doesn't sound like a good place to start. Am I looking in the wrong places, or are they just that scarce lately?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Trees grow faster than the Homoeomma/Euathlus sp. Red and Yellow. It's painful how slow they are. I don't consider them dwarf, though. Small, but not dwarf. Your real dwarf species, who top out at less than 3", are fast, skittish, and many of them are very reclusive. I have had a number of Cyriocosmus, Neoholothele incei, and Kochiana brunnipes and, with the exception of my C.elegans, I rarely see any of them. Same with my Ami sp. Panama female. It's too bad because they are all stunning, but, except for toes at the mouth of their burrow when they are hungry, you just never see them.

SpiderBrains

Arachnopeon
So, I've heard that they grow really slow, but can someone quantify that in any way? How long would it take a 1/4" sling to reach 1", 2", or 3"?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
From May 2016 to today, my two have gone from 1/4" to about 1"... and they are both males.

SpiderBrains

Arachnopeon
From May 2016 to today, my two have gone from 1/4" to about 1"... and they are both males.
Wow, does one sex typically grow faster than the other? I didn't think you could tell sex until they were closer to full size.