Dune Scorpion Help

ScorpionCollector91

Arachnopeon
try using red runner roaches and vary the diet slightly. other than that scorpions starving themselves is quite normal. Small encouragement with tweezer feeding can work sometimes if you're getting really concerned however.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
I have one and what I do is handycap the cricket by pulling the jumping legs so it can't escape so easy and to avoid stressing it I literally only touch the cage to feed once a week also the hide I have is a very low flat stone maybe half an inch off the ground so when it's in there it's completely hidden.

shxrksy

Arachnopeon
So to update you all, I've found cricket carcasses that seem to be hallowed out, I feel like it's safe to assume that it is eating? I changed it's hide so that it isn't cavernous and it seems to like that a lot too.

Josh88

Arachnopeon
So to update you all, I've found cricket carcasses that seem to be hallowed out, I feel like it's safe to assume that it is eating? I changed it's hide so that it isn't cavernous and it seems to like that a lot too.
I was just about to post this exact question I've been finding hollowed out crickets in my dunes cage recently as well. I'm curious for an answer I have two other scorps that don't do that so it's unusual to me

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Peat moss and cocoa fiber would probably be too much moisture . Sand should work fine. Always wanted to keep this species, but fear what you have going on ;) May not be a fan of live? Always see this species not eat, but not sure exactly why. Maybe feed it prekilled? Never know. Never worked with a dune scorp, but I hope that it eats for you eventually :D
I have NEVER fed any scorpions or spiders prekilled food. That is just silly. Scorpions do not eat dead prey.
Chances are if your scorp isn't eating, it may be on the way out. Do you know its age?
Also, are you sure the cricket carcasses are not molts? Scorpions do not hollow out prey but leave a ball of leftovers called a bolus.

shxrksy

Arachnopeon
It seems like it's hungry though, I always see it at night time just watching and waiting
They could be molts! I just don't see any /live/crickets in there besides the one carcass! And i honestly have no idea what the age of it is :(

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Fine scorpions are aptly named. Sand dunes and sandy areas are always where I have found them. Use a simple sand substrate.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Scorpions do not leave hallowed out shells of crickets. More likely that they molted in there. It is possible that the cricket was eaten post molt but it is also possible that it ended up dying somewhere in there. Check for any foul smells coming from inside the enclosure.