1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by VaejovisCarolineanusSDS, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Jlaw154

Jlaw154 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Probably the "dumbest" rather most misguided thing I hear people say in general is when people say "daddy longlegs" (opiliones) are the the most venomous "spider" (Araneae). Those with more moderate knowledge about arachnids can point out the numerous flaws about said statement.

Has anyone else seen this from where they are? Cause not sure if this is a local thing or not?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    I heard this growing up in the SW United States (along with the caveat that their "fangs" are too small to pierce human skin); not sure where you're from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jlaw154

Jlaw154 Arachnopeon

Yeah I'm from the Eastern Side of the US I think it might be one of those US only sort-of myths as I haven't heard any one from other countries say it. Though I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Local gossip-folklore: Snails are completely harmless.

Thanks to an ongoing effort by just about everyone even remotely associated with the medical profession around these parts, hospitals, clinics, and health care workers in the field are now carrying hard copy info cards translated into all local languages that denotes angiostrongyliasis, clonorchiasis, fascioliasis, fasciolopsiasis, opisthorchiasis, paragonimiasis and schistosomiasis along with a simple, concise explanation of each and the common source of infection; snails.

And yeay team. The blanket info coverage has been so effective farm workers and laborers are donning gloves or using plastic bags just to pick snails up now. Only a few mostly geriatric holdouts remain.

And even better, the open billed Stork, once widely hunted and thought to eat young rice plants are now respected and protected with the human populous realizing their main diet is snails.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

Maybe not the dumbest, but every time my mom sees a bug in the house, she yells that one of my spiders escaped. It doesn't matter what it is or where she found it, it's clearly mine and I have to go capture it.

No, mom. Assassin bugs and house centipedes are not tarantulas.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

Welp, I got a new one.

"Birds aren't animals."

'Birds are animals, same as dogs and cats and fish and insects and-'

"No, birds, fish and bugs aren't animals."

-My mom, who used to be a fishkeeper. She was totally serious and got mad at me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  7. Jlaw154

Jlaw154 Arachnopeon

I've had the same thing happen to me. Where people would say "birds and bugs" aren't animals.

An old friend even said one time "birds are mammals" even after saying they weren't "animals" they're "birds". funny stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ThorsCarapace22

ThorsCarapace22 Arachnopeon Active Member

Yep I'm from Kentucky and that's all iv heard my whole life lol. Around here there's alotta things that don't make much sense lol. You gotta love it.

9. The Mantis Menagerie

The Mantis Menagerie Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    I am in the same region, and it is the one myth I correct people on the most.
    For me, it is cockroaches. My mom is always somewhat suspicious that the winged adult P. americana are actually escaped hissers!

10. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    I seriously don't understand how people who have seen a specimen of each species can confuse them. I'd maybe understand confusing a Eurycotis with a hisser, but Periplaneta?