1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by VaejovisCarolineanusSDS, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Didn't they also use a huntsman as the deadly spider for one of those horror movies?

There's also that scene in Indiana jones where his whole back is covered in Brachypelmas, then he wipes them all off onto the floor. Poor little guys

2. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnoknight

Utah
    Not that I know of, but that's... incredibly dumb. I suppose if you really squint, it could look like a Sicarius.

3. Godzillaalienfan1979

Godzillaalienfan1979 Arachnoknight

I know this isn't very dumb (just a common error) but I hadda share this:

Me: *introducing my inverts to my crush in hopes of her remotely being attracted to me* and THIS big guy is Scolopendra Dehaani, the Vietnamese Giant Centipede! Bask in its glory!

My crush: Wait, did you like find it under a rock or something in your yard?

Me: VIETNAMESE giant centipede, my dear. V I E T N A M E S E . Say it with me- V-I-E-

*breaks off sentence. laughter from both*

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoangel Active Member

CA

The last 20 seconds of the video. Stupid ‘documentary’

5. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but let me guess: the lady in the thumbnail sticks her hand under the lid of the bin, before falling to the ground and dying in agony.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Godzillaalienfan1979

Godzillaalienfan1979 Arachnoknight

i'm not sure black widows are THAT deadly

7. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoangel Active Member

CA
    No even better! She picks up a cellar spider and talks about how it’s the most venomous spider on the planet.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

In the movie Arachnophobia. But the premise was that they were hybrids between a local spider and a deadly spider from a jungle somewhere. Delena cancerides is the spider they used.

9. MantisGirl

MantisGirl Arachnopeon

UK
    Hey, I've watched that!

The dumbest thing I've ever heard was probably 'Oh, but it's just a mantis... It only lived a few months anyway... Why are you so upset? Can't you just get another one?'

10. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS Arachnoknight

USA
    This one isn't that dumb I guess. I have had multiple people tell me an arthropod isn't an animal. The most recent example was when someone said that a scorpion is an arachnid not an animal so I went through the entire taxonomy list for scorpions to show him that they are animals.

• Like Like x 1
  11. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnoknight

Utah
    Uggghh, I hate when people act like insects and arthropods in general aren't "real" animals.

12. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Ladybugs damage the flowers. And when I tried to explain ladybugs, that they were predators, carnivores, total denial.