Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
What I find amusing is that B. smithi is hardly the scariest or most dangerous tarantula (relatively docile, actually), and is very distinctive so you know it's not a dangerous one, yet horror movies still use it. :banghead:
Didn't they also use a huntsman as the deadly spider for one of those horror movies?

There's also that scene in Indiana jones where his whole back is covered in Brachypelmas, then he wipes them all off onto the floor. Poor little guys

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I know this isn't very dumb (just a common error) but I hadda share this:

Me: *introducing my inverts to my crush in hopes of her remotely being attracted to me* and THIS big guy is Scolopendra Dehaani, the Vietnamese Giant Centipede! Bask in its glory!

My crush: Wait, did you like find it under a rock or something in your yard?

Me: VIETNAMESE giant centipede, my dear. V I E T N A M E S E . Say it with me- V-I-E-

*breaks off sentence. laughter from both*

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but let me guess: the lady in the thumbnail sticks her hand under the lid of the bin, before falling to the ground and dying in agony.

NYAN

Arachnoking
No even better! She picks up a cellar spider and talks about how it’s the most venomous spider on the planet.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Didn't they also use a huntsman as the deadly spider for one of those horror movies?
Not that I know of, but that's... incredibly dumb. I suppose if you really squint, it could look like a Sicarius.
In the movie Arachnophobia. But the premise was that they were hybrids between a local spider and a deadly spider from a jungle somewhere. Delena cancerides is the spider they used.

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
In the movie Arachnophobia. But the premise was that they were hybrids between a local spider and a deadly spider from a jungle somewhere. Delena cancerides is the spider they used.
Hey, I've watched that!

The dumbest thing I've ever heard was probably 'Oh, but it's just a mantis... It only lived a few months anyway... Why are you so upset? Can't you just get another one?'

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
This one isn't that dumb I guess. I have had multiple people tell me an arthropod isn't an animal. The most recent example was when someone said that a scorpion is an arachnid not an animal so I went through the entire taxonomy list for scorpions to show him that they are animals.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
This one isn't that dumb I guess. I have had multiple people tell me an arthropod isn't an animal. The most recent example was when someone said that a scorpion is an arachnid not an animal so I went through the entire taxonomy list for scorpions to show him that they are animals.
Uggghh, I hate when people act like insects and arthropods in general aren't "real" animals.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Ladybugs damage the flowers. And when I tried to explain ladybugs, that they were predators, carnivores, total denial.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
I dont have any ts right now. I have heen in the hobby in the past and plan to again very soon but my entire family gives me crap. They think im crazy and refuse to come in my room. Oh well lol

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
"why do you have water in there for them"....probably the dumbest thing that's ever been said to me lol
Or "wait tarantulas poop?!?"

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
"redback tri-antulas! Far out those nasty suckers 'll pop your fingers right off before you even realise it in your sleep".

-*somebody who tried to share their tiny pinch of spider knowledge with me after I told them I keep T's. I have been all the wiser ever since*

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Someone told me that they would drown my tarantulas.

I was just thinking, good luck with that. :rofl: