1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by VaejovisCarolineanusSDS, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Yeah, someone said the same thing about centipedes - they're all brown with black stripes. The funny thing is, he posted that comment on a pic of my red S. morsitans (see attached pic).
    DSCN3082.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnoknight

What a stunner! people are funny

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnoknight

Utah
    I think the only appropriate reaction to this is:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    So pretty, love the contrast between the legs and the body!

5. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    These people are colorblind!

6. Jurdon

Jurdon Arachnosquire Active Member

I wouldn’t call this a dumb thing, as it’s actually one of my favorite personal stories, but last year around this time, when I was buying my vinegaroon from a local reptile expo, my dad wanted me to get the O.K. from my mom (who was not with us) about the purchase. So, I call her up, and say something along the lines of, “Dad’s cool with me getting a vinegaroon, he just wants you to sign off on it.” And obviously, as a person born & raised in the northeast US, she has no idea what a vinegaroon is. “A nonvenomous arachnid from the south”, I say. She’s cool with it, and hangs up. She then asks my friend (who she was with) “Wait.. is an arachnid a spider?” My friend nods. An hour later, I’m explaining how non-spider arachnids are a loophole in her infamous “no spider” rule. A year later, and I have to remind her that I even have an arachnid because she doesn’t remember which animal Kermit is. On a sidenote, people really are colorblind, and not just with inverts. Had some family over this weekend, and among the classic “black” or “brown”, some recollections of my gray-and-orange snake’s colors were “yellow”, “red”, and most amusingly, “pink! the snake was pink!”

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. My little cousin was telling me about how millipede bites are way worse than centipede bites when I showed him my green rubripes. He's 7 and about a week later he started telling me about how millipedes are poisonous but harmless and centipedes are venomous (an entomologist came into his class and explained it to the kids) so at least that's a plus.

Is it sad a 7 year old is better educated on inverts than most adults I meet?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Staehilomyces

Yeah, one of my favourite pedes! The collector I got this one off has another, which I should be getting in a few weeks. After the death of one of my Kuranda E. rubripes, I'm thinking the red S. morsitans will be the first pedes I try to breed.

• Love Love x 1
  9. Staehilomyces

About 80% of the responses I get when I mention the fact that I keep and handle pedes is "but...but...Coyote Peterson..."
    Thankfully, I was able to change most of their minds by pointing out the flaws in Coyote's likely act.

10. Luckily they're sexually dimorphic, that'll make it so much easier
    He saw that video too and was really excited to show me, he's 7 though so I'm not gonna go on a ran about how Coyote overreacts. I didn't react like that when my tiger rubripes managed to get a really good chew in on my hand and he's a grown man

11. Staehilomyces

Yeah, that's part of the reason I want to breed morsitans too. They're easy to sex. Mine is a male. Hopefully the collector manages to get even more than the one he's got, increasing the likelihood of getting a female.

As for Coyote, one of the main misconceptions I've had to clear on numerous occasions is that S. heros is the most venomous of all centipedes, where in actuality, S. alternans and pretty much all the Asian/Pacific pedes leave it in the dust. I think even an E. rubripes bite would hurt more than a bite from a heros of the same size.

12. dehaani and Scolopendra sp. "Riau" are absolutely a league above heros when it comes to the pain of their bites, maybe coyote will let a dehaani bite him to show that "hey, there's way more painful bites out there than that desert centipede"

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Staehilomyces

Oh, for sure.

Back on the topic of dumb invert "facts", one person was adamant that centipedes have 100 legs. He said that the name means 100 legs/feet, therefore they must have 100 legs. I told him to find a pic and count the legs, at which point he just said "I don't need to check what I know is true".

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    I have yet to have someone reference him and his bite to me.

15. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

Apparently she said it’s the ones you see in horror films. So imagine it’s a B . Smithi or something along that line

• Like Like x 1
  16. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    What I find amusing is that B. smithi is hardly the scariest or most dangerous tarantula (relatively docile, actually), and is very distinctive so you know it's not a dangerous one, yet horror movies still use it. :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. spookyvibes

Indiana
    I’m sure @The Grym Reaper ’s B. hamorii could star in a horror film:hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

U WOT M8! FYTE MEH IN REEL LYFE!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  19. VolkswagenBug

Utah
    Heh. Still, OBTs are far scarier:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. spookyvibes

Indiana
    She looks like she’s at a bar, drink in hand. E3DD4AA0-4E44-47CB-A198-669B73DA4054.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6