Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

AnEndlessCold

Arachnopeon
A lot of people seem to think that insects are not animals, but rather something else. This always confuses me.

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
Everyone knows that insects are actually plants, within the Cannabis genus. This explains why those individuals that dabble with insects recreationally quickly become addicted and desire more in their collection.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
Today someone told me about the camel spiders in Iraq which were THIS big (holds hands 2 feet apart). They said how they personally captured them and put them in an aquarium, and that they would inject a venom that numbs the camel and would eat them. I told them how camel spiders lack venom and certainty don’t get that big. I told them about the hoax with the photos taken close to them to make them look bigger etc. They stood by their claim, and since there were 10 other people there listening And I didn’t want to argue it, I told them I would research the subject.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I was once told that the ~8cm centipede I had curled up on my finger was sizing me up. That being said, I was able to convince the person that snakes (let alone pedes) don't size up prey in advance without much issue.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
“Hey, I’m worried about you, are any of your spiders poisonous?”
Well all of my tarantulas have venom, but none of them are medically significant.

“Where can I get a defanged tarantula? I don’t want it to bite me.”
How well would you eat without your bottom jaw?

“Which tarantulas can kill you?”
The ones that I can’t afford but really want. That kills me emotionally.

“Which ones are poisonous enough to kill you?”
Are you planning on consuming them?

“Goliath Bird Eaters get over a foot in length!”
I want pics next to a ruler if you ever see that.

“Ahhh! A centipede!”
That’s a millipede.

:meh: I could go on.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It always irks me when people think venomous=deadly. When people ask if a spider/scorpion etc. is venomous, and I say they all are (yes, there are very few venomless spiders, I know that), they get so scared until I tell them that most invert venoms aren't medically significant.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I think one of the best parts about this hobby is hearing all the ridiculous things people come up with, believe, say to you. The other would be dispelling all the myths and such.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
When my kids talk excitedly about how cute their spiders are, how much they love them, and how excited they were to get them for their birthdays, and my sister, hearing them talk about their pets, proceeds to tell them that if she ever sees them, she'll kill them. Just smash them, enclosure and all. :mad: Seriously? Did you just tell my seven- and ten-year-old that you're going to kill the pets they just told you they love so much?? How would you feel if I told your daughter I'm going to kill that bunny you just got her for her birthday?? :punch:

Sister-in-law (who has been my friend since 5th grade and knows the extent of my former arachnophobia and is arachnophobic herself) asked me, "What HAPPENED to you!?" After I told her how I got over my phobia she asked, "So, do you take them out and let them crawl all over you??" :rofl: I laughed and said, "Ummmm... No. I don't touch them, the only time they come out of their enclosures is when I rehouse and I use catch cups and paint brushes." That one was funny.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
cute their spiders are, how much they love them, and how excited they were to get them for their birthdays, and my sister, hearing them talk about their pets, proceeds to tell them that if she ever sees them, she'll kill them. Just smash them, enclosure and all. :mad: Seriously? Did you just tell my seven- and ten-year-old that you're going to kill the pets they just told you they love so much?? How would you feel if I told your daughter I'm going to kill that bunny you just got her for her birthday?? :punch:
People tell me the same thing a lot, at least they used to. What really did the trick was if they had a cat I would tell that I am deathly allergic to cats and if I ever saw theirs I would make a point to hit it with my car and purify the air of the world just slightly. They usually stop saying they're going to kill my animals after that.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
When my kids talk excitedly about how cute their spiders are, how much they love them, and how excited they were to get them for their birthdays,
How could somebody be that ****ing mean as to tell a child who clearly loves their pet that they’re going to kill it??? That is beyond messed up:rage:

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
People tell me the same thing a lot, at least they used to. What really did the trick was if they had a cat I would tell that I am deathly allergic to cats and if I ever saw theirs I would make a point to hit it with my car and purify the air of the world just slightly. They usually stop saying they're going to kill my animals after that.
How could somebody be that ****ing mean as to tell a child who clearly loves their pet that they’re going to kill it??? That is beyond messed up:rage:
I'm definitely using the bunny thing next time she says something like that. I'm sure I'll get the argument of, "It's not the same thing," but to my children, it IS the same. They love their spiders just as much as my niece loves her bunny. (I would never tell my niece that I would kill her bunny, but tell my sister how would she like it if I said that.)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Latest one I’ve been told this week was , why do you have so many Tarantulas, when they are all the same colour , black and orange !

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Latest one I’ve been told this week was , why do you have so many Tarantulas, when they are all the same colour , black and orange !
I’m curious which tarantula they seen to make them think that tarantulas are only black and orange:rofl: