Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

RavageMaster

Arachnopeon
When I moved into my first apartment back in 2015 I had a neighbor that was convinced spiders laid eggs that hatched into maggots.

She then had to tell me that she found a brown recluse in the bush out front, and that she knew it was one because it bit her on the cheek and maggots came out a day later. She also ripped a hole in her ceiling because she wanted to remove all the "black widows" that were coming down and biting her at night. In addition to all that, she believed her boyfriend at the time was sneaking out at night to catch spiders and put them in her mouth.

To say the least, we had a rough neighborly relationship... especially after I decided to bring a big Latrodectus hesperus female inside as a pet rock. I was not secretive about it at the very least, and it being in my place got her to stop trying to "educate" me about spiders.

Other than that I frequently get the (about both my tarantulas and snakes):
"eww... aren't they poisonous?"
"How does your boyfriend (or parents) feel safe about you having them?"
"Do they roam around your room?"
"They eat dried crickets right?"
"You know those get 40 feet long and can eat people right?!"(this was in reference to buying a boa constrictor imperator)

SUT

Arachnopeon
*People asking me about my critters
"Aren't you worried about getting bit"
*Friend interjects "nah he had all of their stingers and fangs removed"
Me "...yeah, no"

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
*People asking me about my critters
"Aren't you worried about getting bit"
*Friend interjects "nah he had all of their stingers and fangs removed"
Me "...yeah, no"
Yes, we have special vets that will remove the fangs and stingers of all our animals. Don't worry the don't need that stuff anyway.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I was at the only pet store within 100 miles to sell dubias getting some supplies when I noticed they had a "Vietnamese centipede." Now I have a S. Subspinipes and I would like to have a S. Dehaani as well so I asked what species they had and the ensuing conversation went something like this.
Me: "What kind of centipede is it that you have?"
Employee: "It's the Vietnamese one."
Me: "Well yeah but there are multiple species from Vietnam do you know which one it is?"
Employee: "Honestly dude I don't know anything about centipedes."
I know it sounds fake but that's actually how it went. I ended up IDing it as a Dehaani for them after the guy moved the water dish it was hiding under so I could take a look at it. Later on while I was paying the same guy tried to convince me that a sting from an H. Spinifer was as painful as being shot.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I was at the only pet store within 100 miles to sell dubias getting some supplies when I noticed they had a "Vietnamese centipede." Now I have a S. Subspinipes and I would like to have a S. Dehaani as well so I asked what species they had and the ensuing conversation went something like this.
Me: "What kind of centipede is it that you have?"
Employee: "It's the Vietnamese one."
Me: "Well yeah but there are multiple species from Vietnam do you know which one it is?"
Employee: "Honestly dude I don't know anything about centipedes."
I know it sounds fake but that's actually how it went. I ended up IDing it as a Dehaani for them after the guy moved the water dish it was hiding under so I could take a look at it. Later on while I was paying the same guy tried to convince me that a sting from an H. Spinifer was as painful as being shot.
That sounds like my local petstore. only they don't sell centipedes, or very much of any inverts.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
How has no one mentioned the one, the classic, beaten to death, stale and old:
"BURN IT WITH FIRE!"
And any variation or image reply related to it. If I had a penny for every time I've seen these comments on someones picture of their pet arthropod I'd be a billionaire.

I find it so rude as well. It's still someones pet! Would you tell a dog owner that you want to set their dog on fire or beat it to death? Then why do it with other pets, only because they don't look as cute to you? I hate that so much.
I saw a clip of someone losing his tarantulas slings because the baby cocoon (forgive my noob terms, I don't keep tarantulas so words may be off) was too tight so the babies died in it. He sounded so heartbroken about it. Same with a guy who dropped a sling in his unboxing video and accidentally crushed it. You can hear in their voices that these animals mean so much to them and that it really hurt. Why would you comment that you are glad their pets died? That's just awful.

I've been a nerd for any kind of crawlies since childhood, so seeing other kids kill them always hurt me. Once a group of girls pulled a large cross spider out of her web and stomped her, made me furious inside. The spider was outdoors, in her web, not even in their way, those petty freaking [insert strong insult]. :sour:

Another time which was a few years ago in vocational school (basically a group of young adults now) we were doing crafts for a project involving children and had to bring bags with leaves, nuts, moss, whatever. Many ended up with isopods and I told them to tell me if they find any so I can catch them and throw them out the window (basement room with green outdoors right outside the window). One girl just smashed them right in front of me. I mean really? I just told you they're harmless and I keep them as pets. Why kill them? What did they do to you? Ugh.

I hate people sometimes. :bag:

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
How has no one mentioned the one, the classic, beaten to death, stale and old:
"BURN IT WITH FIRE!"
And any variation or image reply related to it. If I had a penny for every time I've seen these comments on someones picture of their pet arthropod I'd be a billionaire.

I find it so rude as well. It's still someones pet! Would you tell a dog owner that you want to set their dog on fire or beat it to death? Then why do it with other pets, only because they don't look as cute to you? I hate that so much.
I saw a clip of someone losing his tarantulas slings because the baby cocoon (forgive my noob terms, I don't keep tarantulas so words may be off) was too tight so the babies died in it. He sounded so heartbroken about it. Same with a guy who dropped a sling in his unboxing video and accidentally crushed it. You can hear in their voices that these animals mean so much to them and that it really hurt. Why would you comment that you are glad their pets died? That's just awful.

I've been a nerd for any kind of crawlies since childhood, so seeing other kids kill them always hurt me. Once a group of girls pulled a large cross spider out of her web and stomped her, made me furious inside. The spider was outdoors, in her web, not even in their way, those petty freaking [insert strong insult]. :sour:

Another time which was a few years ago in vocational school (basically a group of young adults now) we were doing crafts for a project involving children and had to bring bags with leaves, nuts, moss, whatever. Many ended up with isopods and I told them to tell me if they find any so I can catch them and throw them out the window (basement room with green outdoors right outside the window). One girl just smashed them right in front of me. I mean really? I just told you they're harmless and I keep them as pets. Why kill them? What did they do to you? Ugh.

I hate people sometimes. :bag:
Lol once I slapped my best friend because he almost killed a deaths head hawkmoth. WHICH WAS MINE! He thought it had gotten inside my house and tried to kill it with a bug zapper. I slapped him hard. He said he forgot I kept them as pets. Also I got a "Don't kill inverts" rule inside my house.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Lol once I slapped my best friend because he almost killed a deaths head hawkmoth. WHICH WAS MINE! He thought it had gotten inside my house and tried to kill it with a bug zapper. I slapped him hard. He said he forgot I kept them as pets. Also I got a "Don't kill inverts" rule inside my house.
Why do people even kill moths anyway? Apart from the ones who eat clothes, there's not really a reason to, and many species look gorgeous as well.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Why do people even kill moths anyway? Apart from the ones who eat clothes, there's not really a reason to, and many species look gorgeous as well.
When I used to live in Colorado, we had a really bad moth problem in our house. They were pretty ugly and really annoying; they'd flutter around in your face while you tried to sleep. They were really prolific and it was hard to try to shoo them outside, so my parents killed a lot of them. I think there are some cases where it's okay to kill moths, like there.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Whenever people tell me they're scared of spiders and if they ever came to my house they'd squish them. My response is always that I'm deathly allergic to cats and if I ever see theirs I'll make a point to hit it with my car. They usually stop making those comments afterwards.

NYAN

Arachnoking
“Poisonous snakes and insects may be found here” read a sign I saw. Below the writing was a picture of a scorpion.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
“Poisonous snakes and insects may be found here” read a sign I saw. Below the writing was a picture of a scorpion.
The scorpion is just warning you of the insects and snakes, how kind of him!

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
Two, proving that naivety comes in different colors:

I had a really rude employee at a pet store freak out after he realized I was getting crickets for my tarantula. Quoted as saying "If you bring that in here, I will KILL it. SO. GROSS. You should kill it. I HATE SPIDERS" and proceeded to make the most comically bad "disgusted" face i think I've ever seen. It's like when your unjustified hate gets so bad you need to over emphasize how you feel just to get a reaction. I thought he was going to make himself puke. Funny thing is...this has happened with this employee twice. Guess his trauma wasn't enough for him to remember me the first time around.

The second is a student at a college I work for. We have "exotic animal day" where someone brings in lots of herps, arachnids and other insects. Me being...me, ended up assisting the person who was there to monitor all the animals and make sure they weren't being mishandled. There was a girl who put a tarantula on her FACE and claimed that the spider remembered her and she looked forward to taking selfies with it every year. She didn't believe me (you know...the person who owns tarantulas) when I laid out the reasons why that was a very, very bad idea.

Sigh.

The GOOD thing is, I've informed and educated a lot of people about spiders over the years, and many have even sought them out as pets after learning more about them. =)

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
this ones not untrue i just fornd it really funny and dumb. aboreal Ts can shoot poop with great accuracy as a threat mechanism

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
#1 "Is that tarantula/scorpion/centipede poisonous?"

#2 "Hello, I'm looking to buy my Very first tarantula. And I am only interested in one that is BLUE and I can SEE ALL THE TIME, isn't DEFENSIVE, DOESN'T KICK HAIRS and that I can HANDLE all the time"

Bruhh,
I get these two IDIOTIC questions wayyyyy toooooo much, I've lost faith in humanity.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
"did you know that daddy long legs are the most poisonous spider in the world but there fangs are too small to bite you"
1 you mean cellar spiders because daddy long legs can refer to two things
2 most venomous you mean
3 NO NONE OF THAT IS TRUE

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
"Bugs aren't animals."

*when I state I have hissing roaches as pets* "They'll escape and infest your house."/ "They'll give you a disease." (both of these also applies to my pet rats).

*When I state I have a mantis* "Aren't those venomous?"

NYAN

Arachnoking
Today I mentioned my pet centipedes to someone. They immediately asked me why I have a pet centipede, to which I replied that I have 6. They then told me how they are super poisonous. I ended up trying to explain the difference between venom and poison, but I do not think it stuck with that person. Another person also heard me and asked what other creatures I have as pets, but before I could finish with the both of them we were interrupted. Everyone already thinks I’m nuts anyway hehe.

A friend of mine who saw my scolopendra dehanni thought it was a crab also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
The best rule.
I have that rule but my family doesn't follow it :/ I also break that rule every time I feed my inverts

"So you keep them in cages right" no I just let them roam around my room. I also hate when people use the word cage it's an enclosure there's a difference

Last edited by a moderator: