Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
"Is it ok to give a piece of sausage to millipedes?"

When I was showing my first A. tesselata pair to a relative, he told me to fill the container with water. Haha, very funny :shifty:

People flinched and moved away from me when I told that I keep giant roaches as pets.
I love Roaches!! Id keep some if I mum wasn't absolutely phobic of them~

Veles

Arachnobaron
My friend tried to grab my Sister detox female by her head, right after seeing her saw a roach in two with her mandibules....
And he even said this to me when I stopped him "Don't worry, she can't pierce my skin anyway".

Defalt

Arachnosquire
my dad once told me that if a giant huntsman spider pees on your scalp, you will start to bald.
There are also people who believe that scorpions and centipede produce pearls and these pearls are believed to release mystical energy that helps gamblers to increase their luck

they aren't cheap either

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
"Cockroaches are gross, why would you keep them?"
PRATT for me, it's really annoying. Of course, it's not generally a question asked twice, since I debunk that nonsense every time I hear it.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
well to be honest, if I see a cockroach in my kitchen, I can't help but feel a little scared. But I have kept cockroaches in the past and find that dubias and hissers are pretty good pets

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I was volunteering at my church just before Christmas. While cleaning out a storage room in preparation to hold cans for our food drive, we found quite a few house spiders that had been hiding in said storage room. I let one of these spiders start crawling on my hand, and one of the older ladies got a little panicked, and insisted that I kill it. I insisted I would not, so she demanded I put it outside. I wasn't going to do that either, the cold would quickly kill it. I eventually volunteered to catch any spiders and take them home (where I'd release them in my basement). I added that God loves all the animals, so we should too, the argument I use with any church person that has a problem with invertebrates.

That last statement agitated her even more. She said that spiders aren't animals, and even if they were they certainly weren't loved by God. I pressed into this more, and it turns out she believes spiders were created to punish humans for sin. You see, she's a fundamentalist, and I mean a young-earth Creation Museum type crazy insane fundamentalist. She believes that the universe was cursed after Adam and Eve's sin, (questionable theology, since, you know, the Bible never once mentioned the entire natural universe ever being cursed in any way for any reason) and that spiders are a part of that curse. I just walked away after I heard that.

Not even the tip of the iceberg of stupid stuff I've heard about inverts, but that's the most recent one.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I didn’t read all the 77 messages on here but it was going around up here in Canada that the venom was taken out of every spider that came into Canada. Also I had a coworker yell at me for taking a jumping spider outside to let it go. She didn’t understand how I could shoot a nice deer but save a nasty spider. To be fair spiders look a little scary

centipeedle

Arachnosquire
random girl: omg spider! kill it!
me: picks up spider
teacher: you have to throw it in the trash im not taking anyone to the hospital

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
teacher: you have to throw it in the trash im not taking anyone to the hospital
Oh I have one like this:
Me: *finds cellar spider on wall in a hallway at school. Grabs empty iced tea bottle and attempts to coax it into bottle*
Random teacher:*notices me on ground attempting to get spider into bottle* W hats that you've got there
Me: *gives dumbed down explication because people get lost when I use big scienceie terms* I keep spiders as pets *spider is now in bottle*
Teacher: ew! No! Throw it away!
Me: *explain how spiders are just misunderstood and how there beautiful creatures that are a big part of our ecosystem*
Teacher: throw it away right now
Me: no
Teacher: throw it away or I will tell the principal
Me: *gets amazing idea... get up and sighs* okay *walks into classroom teacher isn't watching me... continue walking right past trash can o my back pack and put spider in small pocket on back pack* :cool:

SolFeliz

Arachnosquire
My friends all claim to love animals and then I show them pictures of my bugs and they're disgusted.
Also, spiders can fly. Specifically baby spiders. Apparently they lose them when they turn into adults.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
My friends all claim to love animals and then I show them pictures of my bugs and they're disgusted.
Also, spiders can fly. Specifically baby spiders. Apparently they lose them when they turn into adults.
Well young spiders often do "balloon", using silk to catch wind, floating very long distances, and disperse that way, so I can understand the confusion there.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Once my sister wanted to raise A.Atropos and asked me if she could have 2 larvae. I told her to not be jaelous and that she couldnt do it. She said it woulnt be hard to feed it lettuce. . .

Scoly

Arachnobaron
My ex said that when she was a teaching assistant they kept hissing cockroaches in nursery (kindergarten) class and heard one kid excitedly ask his friends if they'd seen the "frogs" yet...

For context, this was in Scotland, where a documentary once uncovered schoolkids who didn't know milk came from cows.

Oooh and another one :)

A guest at our house asked why I keep triantulas. No, that's not a typo, that is exactly what she said: TRI-antulas!! I just couldn't believe that after 25 odd years of being alive, during at least 20 of which she has presumably been exposed to TV, books and magazines and talking to other humans (for context, also in Scotland) she never once read or heard the word tarantula pronounced correctly!

That's almost as bad as the time I walked into a pub with my unicycle and my friend said "oh wow, a unicorn" (for context, also in Scotland, where unicorns are the national animal :confused:) Except she instantly realised her mistake and was so mortified by her stupidity that I didn't have the heart to make a long drawn out mockery of her for it.

Azog taught me that
Did you get tagged?

Last edited by a moderator:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Just a glancing prick with one of the forcipules. It wasn't terrible, but I certainly don't want to imagine what a full envenomation would do. It happened when I inadvertently poked it because I was shaking too much.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
That one is about me!

Once I wondered how much does an AFS combat powder has. So I decided to put my finger in between his claws. Of course, I had immobilezed his stringer. Luckily I decided to try with a big stick. Im lucky I didn't put my finger in, otherwise I might have had 9 fingers left today.