1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumbest things you've heard about inverts

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by VaejovisCarolineanusSDS, Dec 13, 2017.

1. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS Arachnoknight

USA
    Advertisement
    What is the dumbest thing you have heard someone say about spiders, tarantulas, scorpions, or any invert in general.

2. GenXtra

GenXtra Arachnopeon

"The only good spider is a dead spider, I squash every one I see, well except Daddy Longleggers, they're good guys."
    If I had a nickel for every time I've ever had that...there's been an uptick in that stupid comment lately for me since
    I've been showing off pics of my new hobby/B. Pulchripes.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

USA
    Same here, it makes me so mad to hear that. The only bad part about the hobby is the stupid people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  4. GenXtra

GenXtra Arachnopeon

Here's a funny story that took place yesterday...
    A co-worker & I were talking about hunting/eating venison the other week. She mentioned how she missed her mother's cooking & how she used to make deer heart. I told her if I could, I'd bring her one in. So happens last Friday I got a buck & did not damage the heart. I brought her a zip lock bag in yesterday with the bounty, she was so happy to see it beholding the bloody organ in all its glory. A few minutes later I decided to show her a pic of my new T. She freaked out, couldn't even look at the pic on my cell phone. I was a bit stunned, but proceeded to enlighten her on the facts of tarantulas as best I could to help change her outlook.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. G. pulchra

G. pulchra Arachnogod Old Timer

They like to be handled.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  6. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince

CT
    *Someone sees collection* "Why don't you keep them in the same cage?"

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Once my dad said "Green ants don't sting" when I was little and proceeded to place his hand on a green ant nest. The look on his face when he realised his mistake and the ants swarmed up his arm to sting him was priceless :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Dennis Nedry

How can somebody gleefully hold a raw heart temple of doom style and yet still be afraid of a picture of a spider?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Hey, he was technically correct, if we're thinking of the same green ants (weaver ants). They just bite and spray acid into the wound.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

USA
    I have had that from a few people, I have no idea why anyone thinks that is a good idea. I hope people like that don't ever get into the hobby, at least not without doing a lot of research.

11. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

"There's a tarantula that can jump 10 feet in the air to catch flying birds"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Well sure there is. Here's a photograph.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Now we have proof!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marika

Marika Arachnobaron Active Member

"Do you keep them in some kind of terrarium?", when I showed a picture of my A. tesselata roaches. I answered him sarcastically that no, I let them run free in my house... :rolleyes:

"They should all be killed", when I told that my millipedes had babies.

When I only had snails, my friend asked me how my cats were getting along with them, were they bothering the snails. I had to explain her that the snails were in a terrarium with a lid and the cats can't touch them...

Oh, and that snakes are inverts. (It's more about snakes than inverts, but still.)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    So I'm sure you all know the "cellar spiders are the deadliest spiders but they can't bite you" myth i once who found a load of cardinal spiders which i was quite exited about as they are quite rare and someone seemed to think these had the most deadly venom known to man and that they dropped from the ceiling to bite your neck but couldn't penetrate your skin

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

"I'm an animal lover but I hate bugs"
    Oh and
    "Caterpillars are pests that should be eradicated unlike those helpful butterflies"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  17. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnoknight Active Member

"the tarantulas looks like its having a seizure because its breeding season" are you sure.. :grumpy:

• Like Like x 1
  18. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnoknight Active Member

Today someone popped by and upon finding out I had Ts asked.. "do they all live together?"

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Dennis Nedry

These were a different green ant that live underground. They do have actual wasp-like stingers, acid being sprayed into an open wound doesn't sound very pleasant either though

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Dennis Nedry

You think they ever took a first grade class? Read the very hungry caterpillar? Watched A bug's life?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1