Dumbest Advice From People Who Don't Own Ts?

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
“Ohh no don’t worry!!! All the tarantulas brought into Canada are de-venomed. Couldn’t hurt u even if it wanted to. Go ahead pet her ”

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Not really advice but a relative asked me "Why would you want keep a bunch of spiders?" My answer was "Why WOULDN'T I?" Really, have you ever heard a sillier question in your life? ;)

Zevil

Arachnosquire
"You can train your tarantula to be tame"

- Random animal expert, probably.

Taysha

Arachnosquire
My favorite one though is always
“Does it bite?”
Yes, so do you. Everything with a mouth, can and will probably bite.

Dawsy14

Arachnopeon
“Do you keep all your tarantulas in the same enclosure” hate that one loool!

brian petersen

Arachnopeon
I was sold my first T with its enclosure. the bedding was fine sand only.
second, this T enjoys being picked up and held.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
“Why the **** would you keep it? Burn the ************ and send it back to hell where it belings!”
I get this quite often and it still makes me laugh but it still sort of hurts...I wish the stigma placed on these beautiful creatures would be removed, they’re anything but...

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I've been asked if I take mine to the vet for things like rabies shots. My answer was an obvious NO. That happened just a few weeks ago at a petvalu store.

A few years ago my aunt told me that males were not needed for breeding as females could produce sperm themselves and that I should get my females spayed right away. That was back when I only had 5-6 tarantulas.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Not really advice but a relative asked me "Why would you want keep a bunch of spiders?" My answer was "Why WOULDN'T I?" Really, have you ever heard a sillier question in your life? ;)
I got this one. A long while ago, I was talking to one of my brothers about something one of my spiders did at the time and because everyone was quiet at that moment and I wasn't drowned out by the usual racket it got the attention of the two people in the family that don't like spiders very much. They asked why I own them and I said I find them interesting, I can't recall the question that lead up to me saying that 'they don't do much' in defense and they asked why I own them again if they don't do much. I remember them saying 'why don't you go study them instead of owning them' which was kind of dumb to me, not sure about anyone else but I think I'd rather drop £20 or so on an order of spiders rather than go into a few thousand pounds worth of loans and debt in an environment I know is not suited for me :v

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Not advice, but being asked if I keep them all together as if they should be able to be kept communally.
Why is this the first thing that anyone asks when they find out I have multiples? Lol - seriously though. I've gotten this question SO MANY TIMES and I'm just dumbfounded by its prevalence.

Someone commented on my very first photo of my sling and told me that I needed to put a sponge in the water dish because she had heard many stories about tarantulas drowning. I didn't have the energy to argue so I just said that the water was extremely shallow and the dish smaller than her legspan, so she wouldn't have any trouble getting out if she found her way into it. Both true, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

gerryfkno

Arachnopeon
Since when do you have to explain why you have a pet anyway? Why do I have a spider well why do people have birds? Why do people have cats? They don't serve any purpose since there aren't any police cats or seeing eye cats last I checked.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Since when do you have to explain why you have a pet anyway? Why do I have a spider well why do people have birds? Why do people have cats? They don't serve any purpose since there aren't any police cats or seeing eye cats last I checked.
Therapy cats. Not sure what it is called again, but there are people taking animals with them anywhere in the US under the license that they are there for emotional support or something? Not seeing eye dogs or medical issue-dogs, but literally rabbits or chickens or ponies.

Maybe I should take one of my spiders for emotional support when I go to the supermarket. I bet my E.pachypus and I share a lot of the same emotions while we are waiting in line for 15 minutes because someone thinks it is okay to place your trolley in line and then go get the groceries.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
But pet dogs are useless too. Service dogs are different from plain pets dogs.

I read somewhere about rats being used to look for landmines because they're light enough to not set them off. Not sure if it's true or not.

Last edited: