Dubia roaches arent eating

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
hey guys im new to the forums , so my concern is that my dubia just gave birth yesterday , and the babies arent eating i separated them from their parents and placed egg carton on their cage and placed some cabbage on their cage and i checked on them today only a few bite marks like 5 only but theres tons of babies , and they keep hiding under their egg cartons and i have 3 dubia adults and checked on them and still no bite :( , im worried whats wrong with them the adults were eating last time , is this natural for roaches?

vukic

Arachnopeon
Pass, don't think many people keep them on that small a scale... I've started "mini colonies" but thats still been with 10-20 adults... Babies might not eat for a while after hatching, and adults may fast for.a.bit after birth... What are the temps like??? My first colony I set up I took out 5-10 to start a second, and they didnt seem to eat much but they did breed, slowly. The first one with more in seemed to grow and breed faster..

Try feeding them oranges.. They never seem to pass those up..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Pass, don't think many people keep them on that small a scale... I've started "mini colonies" but thats still been with 10-20 adults... Babies might not eat for a while after hatching, and adults may fast for.a.bit after birth... What are the temps like??? My first colony I set up I took out 5-10 to start a second, and they didnt seem to eat much but they did breed, slowly. The first one with more in seemed to grow and breed faster..

Try feeding them oranges.. They never seem to pass those up..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Hi thanks for reply , the temp is 25 degree celsius , and i feed them cabbage , Do they also accept bananas? , oh and also thanks i didnt know that babies wont eat for a while after hatching , ok thank you very much :) , is it also normal for the babies to hide in groups underneath the egg cartons?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Young dubia feed primarily on the frass of the adults. They need the beneficial bacteria in the frass for proper digestion. Leave the nymphs with the adults, at least for a few instars.

Last edited:

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Young dubia feed primarily on the frass of the adults. They need the beneficial bacteria in the frass for proper digestion. Leave the nymphs with the adults, at least for a few instars.
So how long should i leave the babies with the adults? wont the adults eat the babies?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
I keep them all together, regardless of age or gender. Never had any issues.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
I keep them all together, regardless of age or gender. Never had any issues.
Am i doing anything wrong here on my setup? egg carton should be placed like a stand or the position we place the egg carton on a table? , i used position on a table is this also ok?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Am i doing anything wrong here on my setup? egg carton should be placed like a stand or the position we place the egg carton on a table? , i used position on a table is this also ok?
What I think you're asking is should the egg flats be vertical or horizontal? A vertical arrangement will create more surface area but I don't think it really matters.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
What I think you're asking is should the egg flats be vertical or horizontal? A vertical arrangement will create more surface area but I don't think it really matters.
ok thanks do the baby roaches also eat the food like the adults ? or they only eat the poop when their young?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Cabbage and Lettuce and ill place the adults for the poop , what can i give for protein?
Lettuce is ok for providing moisture but it has no nutritional value. For fruits and vegetables try apples, melon, carrots, squash, and oranges. You should also provide a dry food. Some people feed dog or cat food, fish flakes, or chicken starter feed. I make my own dry mix in the blender, it consists of: Ground flax seed, rolled oats, wheat bran, nutritional yeast and dried coconut flakes.

Do a search for dubia caresheets and roach chow.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Lettuce is ok for providing moisture but it has no nutritional value. For fruits and vegetables try apples, melon, carrots, squash, and oranges. You should also provide a dry food. Some people feed dog or cat food, fish flakes, or chicken starter feed. I make my own dry mix in the blender, it consists of: Ground flax seed, rolled oats, wheat bran, nutritional yeast and dried coconut flakes.

Do a search for dubia caresheets and roach chow.
Hi thanks for the tip i mixed the adults with them and now the adult are like squishing them , theyre too big lol , Will the nymphs get crushed? i added a 2nd layer of egg carton to scatter them. Should the fish flakes be dry?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Hi thanks for the tip i mixed the adults with them and now the adult are like squishing them , theyre too big lol , Will the nymphs get crushed? i added a 2nd layer of egg carton to scatter them. Should the fish flakes be dry?
The adults will not kill the young. Damp fish food will smell and attract pests.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
The adults will not kill the young. Damp fish food will smell and attract pests.
Hi i checked on them today its 10:00 pm and i have seen one trying to nibble on a small cabbage and the big ones are sleeping , U sure they eat the poop of the adults? seems gross lol

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dubia favorite foods are oranges, bananas, apples, romaine lettuce, white bread, cat or dog kibble ground up, and decaying leaves (mine eat Oak) and decaying wood. Keep them with the adults.