dubia roaches and onions

Redbarren

Arachnopeon
so I work at a herpetarium, so naturally, we breed our own food. we feed our dubias and crickets food scraps from a nearby kitchen, well today they sent us onions (red and green). I set them off to the side just in case, but are onions dangerous for dubias and/or crickets?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't remember trying onions but it should be OK to try it. With natural foods like that, if it's bad for them, they won't eat it so you will know that way. I'm going to try it, I just realized I have left over onions in the fridge. I bet they don't eat it, I think the onion smell and taste is a natural deterrent to buggy stuff.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I've wondered this same thing. I always have onion trimmings to throw out. Let us know how it goes. As stated, I've always assumed the smell would spoil their interest.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've tried onions before. They'll nibble at it, but it's hardly a feeding frenzy like with oranges or potatoes.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Dubias are already prone to some stinginess so I can only imagine what the enclosure will smell like after you add onions.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I bet all your roaches will have tears streaming down their face in no time, onions are serious business.

I can see green onions being taken more readily though as they are on the mild side. Red onions seem to be the worst, at least from my experiences in the kitchen.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I put a few cuts in the doob and hisser terrs, they are gone. Maybe use them as a condiment:smug:.