Dubia roaches aborting their egg cases

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
My dubia roaches started maturing in the last 3 months but I started finding lots of dropped egg cases and there have been no nymphs. I want to say my husbandry's alright and the roaches seemed to be thriving, but obviously I'm doing something wrong. I'm no expert and completely open to some help and advice. Lots of background info / my guesses and speculations below, also attached photos.

~~~

Background info:

I have about 175 roaches. Half of them I raised from nymphs since May 2018, the other half I bought as juveniles/sub-adults in September 2018. Most were quite large by that time, and I started seeing my first mature males and females by the end of September 2018.

They live in a large aquarium placed in a dark closet with decent ventilation (I took it out for the photos). There are lots of egg crates stacked in a way that makes sure there's space in between each crate (no crates stuck together). There's a heat mat placed on the side of the tank that brings the temps inside up to 80-85 F because the room is usually 68-72 F.

I feed them mainly oranges, carrots, and other veggies. There's also a food dish with some oats and dry, ground up dog/cat food. They finish the fruits/veggies within a couple of days but the food dish lasts a couple of weeks. They all look chubby and healthy to me. I replace and clean the food area often.

~~~

So, here are my speculations on why I'm failing, but they're just guesses and I could totally be failing for other reasons:

- There's a "cleaner crew" that came with the first batch. They've been cohabiting and breeding since then. From what I can tell, they aren't dermestid beetles, but instead buffalo beetles aka "lesser mealworms" - their larvae look just like tiny super worms. They're perfect feeders for my tiny slings/true spiders, but I don't know if they're actually a cleaner crew? My research had different results... They seem to be harmless, but can they actually be harmful to have with the dubia, or at least a major nuisance?

- My male to female ratio may be off. I'm starting to think I have too many males. I read that this can be very stressful to the females and might be the reason why they drop their egg cases. Is this true? If so, how do people normally keep their ratio in check? I'm planning to clean their enclosure soon and get a head count then, but I feel like not everyone does a head count ever so often? Still, I'm gonna give a bunch of my mature males away if that's the case.

- My humidity may be off...? Humidity is pretty irrelevant for tarantulas so it's not something I know much about when it comes to other animals. The room they're in is pretty dry; my stat says room humidity is 30%, even lower. I don't know how relevant humidity is, but if so, could that be it?

~~~

Sorry for the super long post but thought I'd put as much detail as possible if that helps. Like I said, I'm a noob. I'd appreciate any feedback at all. Thank you.

I also added a photo of a female Dubia with the egg case sticking out - I heard this is normal and they pull it back in - but I found it dropped later on :(

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
There's a "cleaner crew" that came with the first batch. They've been cohabiting and breeding since then. From what I can tell, they aren't dermestid beetles, but instead buffalo beetles aka "lesser mealworms" - their larvae look just like tiny super worms. They're perfect feeders for my tiny slings/true spiders, but I don't know if they're actually a cleaner crew? My research had different results... They seem to be harmless, but can they actually be harmful to have with the dubia, or at least a major nuisance?
Back when my dubia were booming, i had those beetles....they seemed to live in symbyosis with the roaches and never caused issues.

I seperated and tried to cultivate them for sling feeders, but didnt monitor them well enough and lost the batch.

- My male to female ratio may be off. I'm starting to think I have too many males. I read that this can be very stressful to the females and might be the reason why they drop their egg cases. Is this true? If so, how do people normally keep their ratio in check? I'm planning to clean their enclosure soon and get a head count then, but I feel like not everyone does a head count ever so often? Still, I'm gonna give a bunch of my mature males away if that's the case.
My understanding is that too many males are a big issue with regards to breeding. ..too many and they focus on battling each other more than the females.

Any time i see more than 4 to 6 mature males, i start feeding them off... generally i have 1-3 males in the enclosure.
My humidity may be off...? Humidity is pretty irrelevant for tarantulas so it's not something I know much about when it comes to other animals. The room they're in is pretty dry; my stat says room humidity is 30%, even lower. I don't know how relevan
My understanding is that the colonies basically create their own humidity to a point....ive never paid attention to humidity.

I gotta say, thats hands down the most pristine looking roach bin ever.

I use dog kibble as a base....like substrate.

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
Back when my dubia were booming, i had those beetles....they seemed to live in symbyosis with the roaches and never caused issues.

I seperated and tried to cultivate them for sling feeders, but didnt monitor them well enough and lost the batch.

My understanding is that too many males are a big issue with regards to breeding. ..too many and they focus on battling each other more than the females.

Any time i see more than 4 to 6 mature males, i start feeding them off... generally i have 1-3 males in the enclosure.

My understanding is that the colonies basically create their own humidity to a point....ive never paid attention to humidity.
Thank you so much for the response!

I definitely have waaay too many males then, if 3 is a good number for a decent colony. I can easily count 10-15 just by looking at the food area/sides... yikes. I'll make sure to feed them off/give them to friends who need them asap. Hopefully this helps.

I gotta say, thats hands down the most pristine looking roach bin ever.
Haha... I clean the food area every couple of days, takes less than 5 mins, but there's actually a layer of frass underneath the egg cartons. I read that frass is okay for a while, even helpful for newborn roaches to hide in and whatnot. Is that true? I planned to clean it out for the first time in months

cold blood

Staff member
I read that frass is okay for a while, even helpful for newborn roaches to hide in and whatnot. Is t
Frass is part of what creates humidity if i recall. My understanding is that frass is good, but obviously only to a point.

I will tag some folks i see as very roach knowledgable... @ZooRex @EulersK

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Haha... I clean the food area every couple of days, takes less than 5 mins, but there's actually a layer of frass underneath the egg cartons. I read that frass is okay for a while, even helpful for newborn roaches to hide in and whatnot. Is that true? I planned to clean it out for the first time in months
The nymphs depend on the frass to live(Yep, they eat that stuff...) so make sure you leave some behind so they can take a little nibble.

Tarzanus

Arachnopeon
I have had the same issue when I first bought adult roaches. They were not happy for some reason and I waited for a few months before they decided to keep their ootheca inside and complete the pregnancy. Until this day, I'm not sure what was wrong, I assumed they were just shocked because they completely changed environment. From time to time, I check for dropped egg sacks and I don't see any now. They are doing OK.
Keep male-female ratio around 1 male to 5 females. If there are too many male roaches, you will hear fighting when it gets dark in the evening and they will run all over the breeder, fighting for their territory. They are amusing. :)

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it!

A little update: In my colony of almost 200, I ended up removing 50+ MATURE MALES. Jeez! And yes, I definitely used to hear a lot of loud scurrying sounds at night. That must've be the fighting. Hopefully I'll start seeing some babies soon.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron

A little update: In my colony of almost 200, I ended up removing 50+ MATURE MALES. Jeez! And yes, I definitely used to hear a lot of loud scurrying sounds at night. That must've be the fighting. Hopefully I'll start seeing some babies soon.
Make sure you are using males for feeding only, this usually keep the ratio correct.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Did you find a purpose for the males already? I'm happy to buy them and/or future males you remove!

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
Did you find a purpose for the males already? I'm happy to buy them and/or future males you remove!
I was looking to find out why my females are now dropping their egg sacs and I came across this thread. I realize it is more than 2 years old, but I read your comment and thought I would ask. I am way over on my males, but I only have 5 T's so I need to find some way to reduce males. Would you like me to send you some for free? If I had to guess, I would say I could probably send you 50 or so.