Dubia ootheca abortion and prolapse?

doodleBug

Arachnopeon
So I'm newish to the Dubia-keeping but have had around 4 or 5 successful 'birthings' (terminology is so-so) since I purchased the adults about a month ago and have been assured my husbandry for my colony is just fine (large sterile bin, egg crates, ~85*f, roach chow, fruit, veg, and crystals, etc).

I attached some photos of what I'm fairly certain is an aborted ootheca (it's been detached, hard and still for at least 48 hrs) and the female I'm assuming it came from who I think has a prolapse. I have had the pleasure (;)) of having seen several other animals with a prolapse (did 4H for 8 years, work with horses and broodmares, and breed rabbits for ARBA competition) and while not at all fond of the idea of going on google images, I believe that's what it is.

Found her around 9 or 10pm on the 14th (before I saw the ootheca), it's now 11pm on the 16th. No change in the appearance of her rear. I separated her from the others after I found her, for fear of the colony members munching on her or otherwise disturbing her as they all climb on each other and such. She was semi-lethargic and didn't appear to be doing too well but has since picked up and is seemingly a normal zoomy scoochy little roach if you look past the pea-sized protrusion... I guess I'm just not sure if I should put her back in unhealed or maybe if I need to put her down? (How does one do that anyways... put the container in the freezer?) I assume I can throw the ootheca out? I put it in a little deli cup cause I wasn't sure what to do and I and set it aside in the microclimate with her and my little slings... I haven't really done anything with it and figured I'd ask here first about her and it.

Thanks in advance mates!

Not sure why they're so large. Sent them from my phone at 50% size but thumbnails seem much too small sooo...
0716172223_resized.jpg 0716172225_resized.jpg 0716172225a_resized.jpg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah, this happens with roaches sometimes, I've seen it myself in several species. Sometimes the prolapse dries up and falls off, after which the female may die or continue living on but becomes seemingly unable to reproduce.

Most of the time though, they just die, sometimes it takes days, other times it takes a couple weeks. I'd put her down if I were you, freezing seems to be the agreed upon method of cockroach euthanization. The oothecae is beyond saving as well, if they are aborted early like this the eggs have no chance of hatching.

doodleBug

Arachnopeon
Darn, was afraid that would be the case. Shame I don't have anything big enough to eat her, I hate to waste. Thanks for the reply @Hisserdude and love the signature ;)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Darn, was afraid that would be the case. Shame I don't have anything big enough to eat her, I hate to waste. Thanks for the reply @Hisserdude and love the signature ;)
Sorry to hear that, feeding off is one of the best ways to put down roaches, so that at least they don't go to waste.

No problem, happy to help, and thanks! :)

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I just had to feed off a male (which this is my first time dealing with a male dubia that has had this issue, I have had a few females though it's rare among my colony for some reason), that has a prolapse, it was obvious he wasn't doing well at all. I thankfully have a large blue tongue Merauke. And he was more than happy to help. The poor guy was one of my older males so at least he had a good life and went out in "style". But I agree with @Hisserdude putting them down is always best when you can feed them off. But I currently can't feed off a female of that size to anything. Maybe a large T could take her down if the T was bold enough. But she's a nice size.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Yeah I just had to feed off a male (which this is my first time dealing with a male dubia that has had this issue, I have had a few females though it's rare among my colony for some reason), that has a prolapse, it was obvious he wasn't doing well at all. I thankfully have a large blue tongue Merauke. And he was more than happy to help. The poor guy was one of my older males so at least he had a good life and went out in "style". But I agree with @Hisserdude putting them down is always best when you can feed them off. But I currently can't feed off a female of that size to anything. Maybe a large T could take her down if the T was bold enough. But she's a nice size.
May not be too humane, but you could cut her up and feed her to smaller insects. That way, she wouldn't go to waste. Never had that happen to any of my dubias yet, but that really stinks. Poor roach :drunk:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I've had a discoid with an abortion, as it was in a colony before I got it as an individual pet, but she didn't prolapse. Sorry about the ooth and roach. :(