Dubia heat lamp?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
so here in CA it’s pretty hot right now so I’m not worrying about heat but it gets pretty cold in the winter and fall so I’m wondering if I can stick a heat lamp on them since I’m short on heat pads or should I just buy a heat pad and stick it on the sides. Also food suggestions would be nice. Could I substitute fish food instead of dog food or are there other alternatives. What fruit do you feed for some reason they never eat any citrus I drop in but they gorge on melon and potatoes/ carrots.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I never use a heat source on my Dubia (I am also in CA), even in what passes for winter in this state lol

I feed mine dog food, oranges, and carrots.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
I never use a heat source on my Dubia (I am also in CA), even in what passes for winter in this state lol

I feed mine dog food, oranges, and carrots.
Dude I live in so cal and it drops to the 60s in my room I don’t know why this happens to me:arghh:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
But... in the 60s isn't... cold... (says I, who thinks anything over 40F is too hot LOL)
Geez man down in so cal you’d be on fire we’re on the 90s to 100 in so cal I’m constantly running the fan.
But winter and fall hits hard and the temp drops so fast

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Geez man down in so cal you’d be on fire we’re on the 90s to 100 in so cal I’m constantly running the fan.
But winter and fall hits hard and the temp drops so fast
Oh, it is no cooler up here in Nor Cal lol It was 102F today! Not to mention all the fires and smoke ):

But your dubia will be fine in the 60s. If you want to supplement with heat using a lamp, that will depend on the type of enclosure they are in ( you don't want the lamp melting anything, of course).

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Oh, it is no cooler up here in Nor Cal lol It was 102F today! Not to mention all the fires and smoke ):

But your dubia will be fine in the 60s. If you want to supplement with heat using a lamp, that will depend on the type of enclosure they are in ( you don't want the lamp melting anything, of course).
I heard they do better with supplemental heat and they’ve breed faster? Is I used a small heat lamp ( low wattage) would it melt the Rubbermaid tub?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I heard they do better with supplemental heat and they’ve breed faster? Is I used a small heat lamp ( low wattage) would it melt the Rubbermaid tub?
I couldn't personally tell you if they do better with heat since I don't use any, but my dubia colony is just fine without it... but I am sure heat couldn't hurt!

If the Rubbermaid tub has the standard plastic lid, a heat lamp isn't going to help much... the heat won't transfer into the container well, and you definitely might melt the lid.

cold blood

Staff member
The warmer you keep them, the faster they breed...but its not necessary for their survival to be that warm. For years I kept mine at room temps without supplemental heat and they did just fine breeding.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
As long as you allow a proper distance between the lamp and any heat sensitive objects, there shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe set up the enclosure with a screen top instead of plastic.