Dry Molt Rejuvenation?

AnarchyQueen

Arachnopeon
My Aphonopelma Seemanni molted about 3-4 weeks ago. I finally broke her "closed for construction" silk at the front of her burrow. She finally came out so I could extract her molt (especially since she shoved it in the back corner of her burrow). The problem is, it's obviously very dry. Is there anyway I can re-saturate it to check her sex? My previously owned tarantulas made it very easy for me to extract their exo pretty quickly without bothering it. Any suggestions or am I kinda out of luck with this one?

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Plain old water. Soak it in water for 5 minutes and it’ll be soft. It’ll float so use a spoon or something to sprinkle eater on top of the molt as well.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
Yeah few drops of dish soap in water in deli cup float for 5-7 min is what I do

AnarchyQueen

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys. I did the warm water/dish soap trick and it worked!...but 3/4 of the abdomen is gone and probably buried somewhere. Is it true that only the female A. Seemanni have the distinct lines on the legs? I know coloration/pattern is a bad way to try and sex the T but I am just curious to see if it's hearsay. Here she is, finally :happy: Before this molt, she was a brown color and her abdomen was darkening. But, I did buy her while she was in premolt (which went on forever, it seemed).

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It also helps to trim off the part you don't need. Otherwise, the abdomen has a tendency to fold in on itself.
I'm sure that would make things easier... but horrors! I save all my moults. I don't know if I could destroy one... it's bad enough my GBB and avic usually destroy their exos before I can retrieve. Oh well.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm sure that would make things easier... but horrors! I save all my moults. I don't know if I could destroy one... it's bad enough my GBB and avic usually destroy their exos before I can retrieve. Oh well.
It's just the abdomen; the more rigid parts will still be intact.