1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Condition Scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Bjorgly, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Bjorgly

Bjorgly Arachnodemon Old Timer

Advertisement
    I am thinking of getting another scorpion, as my 2" Emperor died from unknown causes after a molt, but my guess is humidity. Are there any scorpions, (that aren't deadly;) ) that thrive in dry conditions like 30-50% humidity? I really know very little about scorpions except what i read in a care book i bought about them, as I am into the tarantulas alot more. Oh, i wouldn't mind a larger species as well if there is indeed that much choice.

Thanks,

Mark

2. Hadrurus arizonensis or spadix are good bets. They can get to be 6-7 inches long, are a beautiful yellow colour and are generall easy to care for. They thrive in 50-60% humidity.

Aidan

3. Longbord1

Longbord1 Arachnoprince Old Timer

also A. philidactulys (dunno how to spell) or mafia scorpion is a desert specis and they have a great attitude.

4. Anuroctonus phaiodactylus

adios,
    edw.

5. Bjorgly

Bjorgly Arachnodemon Old Timer

Thanks guys, I will look into those species.

Mark

6. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

H.arizonensis get to 5-5.5 inches max.

John
    ];')

7. Longbord1

Longbord1 Arachnoprince Old Timer

do mafia scorps have stong venom. if so then how much stronger

8. Kugellager

No their venom is not that dangerous...probably on the order of Hadrurus or less.

The only potentially dangerous scorpions in the US/Canada are C.exilicauda though C.vittatus is reported to be fairly strong though not as bad as C.exilicauda.

John
    ];')

9. Okay, sorry, I heard a few people had pretty large ones of that length, I guess I was mistaken.

Aidan

10. Kugellager

There may be a couple of record holders that approach 6 inches but the most common size you will see is in the 4-5 inch range.

John
    ];')

11. Okay thanks for clearing that up man,

Aidan

12. biznacho

biznacho Arachnosquire Old Timer

Are there any dead giveaways that tell if a scorp is adult or not? Other than size?

biznacho

13. Kugellager

If it's a female and gives birth. :D

There are methods to check for sexual maturity but you would need a disecting microscope and would most likely have to disect the scorpion.

John
    ];')