Drowning S. Polymorpha??

aethril

Arachnopeon
I woke up this morning to find my pede draped over the side of its water dish with its head and upper body completely submerged. I'm new to owning pedes, so my initial thought was along the lines of 'maybe it's just drinking in a really, really weird way?' so I snagged a few pictures and watched for a moment to see if they'd move upon being disturbed. (This specimen is particularly flighty) After getting 0 response from the pede, I opened the tank and gently pulled them out, where they were completely limp. I thought they were dead until they started twitching, and then they gradually began walking around in a slow, sluggish fashion, dragging their face along the ground and shoving their head under some of the small woodchips on top of the substrate (There's some forest floor substrate mixed in with the cocofiber). After about 5 minutes of wandering around aimlessly, they stopped moving. I gave them another gentle nudge to see if they were still alive, and they shot off under their hide at their usual speed. I had to leave for work so I couldn't stick around to observe them further, so I'm hoping they'll be alright when I check up on them again after I get home.

I couldn't find any other reports of something like this happening, and it's odd to me that the centipede couldn't just back up out of the water dish from where they were submerged. The situation was so weird that I specifically made an account on this forum to ask if you guys had any input on what happened!

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Your water bowl does look like a potential death trap. It's raised, deep, large and has smooth plastic sides. That makes getting stuck easier and climbing out much harder. The good news is myriapods are great at bouncing back from being submerged and only the front holes are underwater, but you might want to rethink the bowl to stop it happening again.

aethril

Arachnopeon
Your water bowl does look like a potential death trap. It's raised, deep, large and has smooth plastic sides. That makes getting stuck easier and climbing out much harder. The good news is myriapods are great at bouncing back from being submerged and only the front holes are underwater, but you might want to rethink the bowl to stop it happening again.
I'm definitely going to find this guy a much shallower dish- I had no idea they could be potentially fatal for these guys.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Centipedes breathe through spiracles on the sides of their trunk, not through through their heads. In order to drown a centipede you would have to completely submerge it in water, for quite a while.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah that’s a wild story I cannot get any Pedes til I move out . My dad hates my tarantulas, hope someday I find a decent job so I can expand my collection.
I’ll make sure to not do this when someday I try my first centipede.
Suprized it lived glad it didn’t bite you tho , ive seen tarantulas in a near sleep mode but never in the water dish.
Myropods are much different, and require more humidity ?