Dropping like flies!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I love raising slings, but sometimes there’s just an amazing AF I just HAVE to have. This N chromatus was one of those AFs. Guess I gotta ask ab age from now on... *sigh*
If you look around you can usually find sub-adult females of most species in the 2 - 4 inch range, so you know it's not old (unless it's a dwarf species). And most have at least some, if not most, of the adult coloration. When I got my N. chromatus she was about 2 inches and is now around 4 and looks like mini adult.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think it’s more common to buy a tiny sling and have it die soon after purchase than an AF... then again just due to nature the lives of slings until a certain size/age are fickle regardless
The issue i had wasn't death, it was not being sent what i paid for and trying to tell me i ordered and paid for what they sent (despite their own invoice and significant price discrepancy). Almost all of my deaths have been attributable to poor packaging foe shipment from people i wouldn't consider to be vendors.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The issue i had wasn't death, it was not being sent what i paid for and trying to tell me i ordered and paid for what they sent (despite their own invoice and significant price discrepancy). Almost all of my deaths have been attributable to poor packaging foe shipment from people i wouldn't consider to be vendors.
That is so tragic and frustrating! I’m sorry for ur losses!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you. Sorry for derailing your thread BTW... :bag:
Not at all!! We’re all here to support each other! <3
I too have had troubles with ill-packed Ts that have died/Been harmed in transit. About 2 years ago (some may remember) I had a pokie get fried from the heat in the mail and she was having constant tremors and was basically in a death curl and completely limp when I unpacked her. I had to keep her alive by putting her on her back in an ICU And dripping water into her mouth and making cricket soup and Orally administering it. I managed to keep her alive for about two months and then bugs started growing in her mouth so I had to make the sad decision to put her in the freezer and end her suffering.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@MrsHaas I'm so sorry to hear you've lost another she was a beauty, I remember your other thread about the Avic death you had and that left me scratching my head and now this. It's got me wondering if it could be a feeder issue such as a parasite or a disease carried by them, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a recent supply either. This is just a thought mind you and truthfully although it gets to us all and frustrates the hell out of us 9 times out of 10 wellw probably never find out why it happens

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I love raising slings, but sometimes there’s just an amazing AF I just HAVE to have. This N chromatus was one of those AFs. Guess I ought to ask ab age from now on... *sigh* then again, if an AF has had more than one previous owner, the vendor may not know if the AF is elderly.
Two of my 3 females I bought are gone , two bad molts & other one is a b boiehmei looks old but going strong still. :drowning: She always looks bald on abdomen maybes a big hair kicker . :embarrassed:
I even asked how to care for them to make sure my care wasn good they were just old or bad luck on molts.:dead:

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you look around you can usually find sub-adult females of most species in the 2 - 4 inch range, so you know it's not old (unless it's a dwarf species). And most have at least some, if not most, of the adult coloration. When I got my N. chromatus she was about 2 inches and is now around 4 and looks like mini adult.
I got my klugi at 2” yeah I no longer buy adults full grown. After 2! Of my last 3 having bad molts due to old age or something. Lost one of my own Ts to a bad molt also n chromatis . R.I.P. :drowning:
Ouch my knees hurt always, :eek: dono how or were I’ll find a job.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sorry, but If you've had a female for even 8 yrs. I don't want it. Unless you want to give it away. I still buy females, but only sub-adults for the most part, unless I really trust the dealer (and that's only a couple of dealers).

I've bought females from people, no issues. Just bad luck on your end. What did your dealer mean by "this goes on" ???

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've bought females from people, no issues. Just bad luck on your end. What did your dealer mean by "this goes on" ???
She meant there are some dishonest dealers who sell their old breeders without letting the buyer know what they are getting. She didn't imply that it was common, but that it does happen sometimes.
The word "dishonest" is my own as while it's technically not lying to sell them as "adult females" it is wrong not disclose advanced age and offer them at discount.

Last edited:

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Seen this sort of behavior in the reptile breeder realm a lot more than the T breeders though thats for sure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She meant there are some dishonest dealers who sell their old breeders without letting the buyer know what they are getting. She didn't imply that it was common, but that it does happen sometimes.
The word "dishonest" is my own as while it's technically not lying to sell them as "adult females" it is wrong not disclose advanced age and offer them at discount.
Thought person meant common.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@MrsHaas I'm so sorry to hear you've lost another she was a beauty, I remember your other thread about the Avic death you had and that left me scratching my head and now this. It's got me wondering if it could be a feeder issue such as a parasite or a disease carried by them, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a recent supply either. This is just a thought mind you and truthfully although it gets to us all and frustrates the hell out of us 9 times out of 10 wellw probably never find out why it happens
I am by different crickets from different places pretty much every time that I stock up for feeding. So unless every single Petclub and Petco and Petsmart in my area have diseased crickets I’m not entirely sure that that is a contributing factor to all the deaths. But that is a good thing to think about! Thank you for that.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I asked a good friend from AB what they thought of the problem could be and she said more times than most people know, tarantulas can die from fecal impaction’s. That would make sense in this situation, since her abdomen never shrunk as she swiftly wasted away, however, I have not cut open my spider yet to find out. ???

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I asked a good friend from AB what they thought of the problem could be and she said more times than most people know, tarantulas can die from fecal impaction’s. That would make sense in this situation, since her abdomen never shrunk as she swiftly wasted away, however, I have not cut open my spider yet to find out. ???
That actually makes sense and would explain the fact that the abdomen never shrunk. I had a sub adult G iheringi die of impaction and the more I think about it the more it sounds like your issue, I remember he was lifeless, no shrinkage of his abdomen he kinda looked like nothing was wrong.
It sounds like a simple answer but something most of us wouldn't even pick up on. Good catch if that's the case

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Do you use any diatomaceous earth? That is very bad for anything with an exoskeleton, hence the question. Very sorry for your losses! :(