Drooling Dubias...

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Just a quick question from a dubia-noob... I have noticed that the larger specimens start "drooling" when I pick them up, bubbles of liquid with a distinct smell. I'm assuming that this is some sort of defense mechanism and I have noticed that some of my T's leave them alone. I have tried to find information on this phenomenon to no avail. Does any experienced dubia-keepers have some information on this weirdness? Cheers in advance!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just a quick question from a dubia-noob... I have noticed that the larger specimens start "drooling" when I pick them up, bubbles of liquid with a distinct smell. I'm assuming that this is some sort of defense mechanism and I have noticed that some of my T's leave them alone. I have tried to find information on this phenomenon to no avail. Does any experienced dubia-keepers have some information on this weirdness? Cheers in advance!
I'm just going on what I've seen keeping dubias. You normally see this when you pick the up holding them tight (or your crushing their heads). The "drool" seems to be used to try and free them as it's slick/slippery. It might also have something in it that tastes bad to some animals (I don't know, I haven't tried it myself) but I've never seen any of my Ts have an issue with it.

They do give off a distress scent when they are stressed that can be smelled. It's not strong though and I'd guess it's more to warn the other roaches of danger than for protection from predators. It likely helps the Ts find the roaches as I've have my Ts go across the enclosure to get a roach.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It's a defense mechanism, I think they use this as a last resort to try and ward off attacking predators. Many insects will "vomit" an acidic substance from their mouths, I think it's supposed to taste and smell bad, basically a deterrent of some sort.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yes this happens quite often, it's more noticeable with larger specimen this doesn't seem to bother my T's though, they just get on and attack the little bar stewards, no need to be concerned, it is a defence mechanism, but it doesn't work with my spiders.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Usually only my newer nymphs do this, my females and adult males don't care at all. But supposedly roaches eventually learn their keeper isn't usually a danger... (though they don't ever know why the one's who are taken never come back XD)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found that most roach defense smells are ineffectual against predatory animals. My turtle seems to relish squishing them a few times before swallowing it, something I only see him do when he presumably really likes the taste of the food.

@Andee I'm fairly sure the roaches know via scent what happens to the disappeared ones, however they don't "attribute" it to the owner. They certainly do "learn" things, I have/had some that would come out during the day to feed, so they didn't have to share with the others.

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
I do the same thing if you try to squeeze my head! In all seriousness many insects do this
Soap is your friend!

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
has anyone had their colony do the clicking (don't currently remember the real term for it) speak yet? I never thought dubias did it since no one else seems to have heard it except a few scattered few people I know. When my roaches are upset enough they will warn each other with the clicks and respond to me if I do it back. Though of course I have no idea what I am supposedly saying XD

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Dubia drool smells pretty foul. In particular there was this one adult male a little while ago that drooled while I was pinching off his mandible so he couldn't eat my assassin bug's eggs... smelled absolutely horrible in a way that's difficult to describe. Must've been the normal defensive scent combined with eating its comrades' rotting corpses or something.

The smell occurs throughout the digestive system (a roach's gut has a large gas filled chamber that releases the scent when punctured) and definitely tastes as bad as it smells. I tried dubia entomophagy once, and whenever I botched the procedure of carefully pulling the head to remove the guts they had that horrible flavor. The ones that were prepared properly also didn't taste great (grasshoppers and mealworms are better) so I haven't tried them again.

Last edited:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Dubia drool smells pretty foul. In particular there was this one adult male a little while ago that drooled while I was pinching off his mandible so he couldn't eat my assassin bug's eggs... smelled absolutely horrible in a way that's difficult to describe. Must've been the normal defensive scent combined with eating its comrades' rotting corpses or something.

The smell occurs throughout the digestive system (a roach's gut has a large gas filled chamber that releases the scent when punctured) and definitely tastes as bad as it smells. I tried dubia entomophagy once, and whenever I botched the procedure of carefully pulling the head to remove the guts they had that horrible flavor. The ones that were prepared properly also didn't taste great (grasshoppers and mealworms are better) so I haven't tried them again.
You have dubias who are eating their dead? That's odd... none of mine do that unless they are really desperate for food. But I also have a cleaner crew so it never gets really bad. And they will never touch anyone whose sick/rotting.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You have dubias who are eating their dead? That's odd... none of mine do that unless they are really desperate for food. But I also have a cleaner crew so it never gets really bad. And they will never touch anyone whose sick/rotting.
I'm the other way around. My smallest nymphs love feeding on the dead of their larger counterparts - and they have food available 24/7 as well as a cleanup crew. In fact, I often say that large dubia colonies are actually less work than small ones simply because the nymphs serve as a cleanup crew themselves.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have around 2000+.... but my nymphs never eat the dead, maybe it's because my cleaner crew gets to the dead too fast? idk... They all have their own weird quirks in a way.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I don't actually know. I just assumed that's what caused it.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Defense? I always just assumed they were puking because I'm holding them. Just imagine a giant claw machine holding me by my abdomen hard enough so I can't get away...... probably make me puke, too!