Drinking Water for Tarantulas?

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My concern with R/O and distilled water is that it is lacking in important trace minerals. This probably is not problematic for species that obtain most to all water via their prey, but species that do drink water and require that source of trace minerals could be adversely affected. There are also some osmotic balance concerns with pure H2O being imbibed, though I'm not sure how much a tarantula would be affected as I am not under the impression that they do a large amount of drinking. Perhaps some of our board chemists could shed some light on these concerns? I am going mostly on problems seen with R/O and distilled in vertebrates.
Assuming that most tarantulas in the wild that are drinking water derived from rain or dew, then it's essentially the same as distilled water. Trace minerals are inconsequential.

If tarantulas are like most terrestrial animals with a digestive system, they're not going to incur osmotic stress from consuming distilled water, since the gut wall is well adept at controlling the absorption of water. Hypotonicity is probably not an issue.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Assuming that most tarantulas in the wild that are drinking water derived from rain or dew, then it's essentially the same as distilled water. Trace minerals are inconsequential.

If tarantulas are like most terrestrial animals with a digestive system, they're not going to incur osmotic stress from consuming distilled water, since the gut wall is well adept at controlling the absorption of water. Hypotonicity is probably not an issue.
funny, just learned about hypotonic and isotonic solutions this year...so are you saying that tap water won't affect it?

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
funny, just learned about hypotonic and isotonic solutions this year...so are you saying that tap water won't affect it?
Re tap water, I never use it. I prefer not to take chances with high mineral content.

xrickus

Arachnopeon
A Reverse Osmosis system does not eliminate all minerals from the water, it just reduce them. It also reduces the levels of lead, nitrates, cysts (cryptosporidium, giardia), arsenic and other contaminants commonly found in unfiltered tap water.

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
the water will evaporate but the chemicals cant. they are to heavy. have u ever put salt in water and let it evaporate? the salt stays behind.
Some chemicals, like chlorine, do evaporate. Others like salt and ammonia do not.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
I, as well as lots of others, just use tap water. I don't believe the additives are too harmful, though I wonder if anyone's done an experiment with this...
Well like for fish. You have to change the ph level and stuff. some like to just let water sit for a day to get rid of the chlorine instead of using a chem. So the chlorine would be my own worry. Although i have not been doing anything about it. I just filled it right from the tap.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psssst... look at the date on this thread lol

Well like for fish. You have to change the ph level and stuff. some like to just let water sit for a day to get rid of the chlorine instead of using a chem. So the chlorine would be my own worry. Although i have not been doing anything about it. I just filled it right from the tap.

bathsheba

Arachnopeon
Psssst... look at the date on this thread lol
His user name checks out

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
So, what should I do. because I been just filling up a cup and using a eye dropper to fill up bottle caps for my babies. Am I supposed to let the water sit for some hours before putting it from the tap into the cages?

GrimMelvin

Arachnopeon
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread, but I haven't seen this question here. I use 'baby' water from the store (figuring that if babies can drink it, it should be ok). It has minerals in it, however. Is there any amount of minerals in water that would be 'too much' for a T? Do minerals have any benefit for them?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread, but I haven't seen this question here. I use 'baby' water from the store (figuring that if babies can drink it, it should be ok). It has minerals in it, however. Is there any amount of minerals in water that would be 'too much' for a T? Do minerals have any benefit for them?
I believe that baby water usually it's demineralized water, to use it with baby formulas, like milk in powder etc, not for drinking it directly.

If you tap water is soft, and doesn't have huge amounts of chlorine, you can use it without any problem. To get rid of chlorine, leaving the misting bottle open will do the job, and the chlorine will evaporate quickly.
Check that your water doesn't have chloramine. Usually you can find your tap water chemical composition on line, at least here.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Good thread to revive!

I live in a hard water area and really struggle with limescale deposits. I have always used tap water for myself and my animals, and am not aware of any issues.

Might get a water purifying jug though - couldn’t justify the expense of buying separate bottles of water, personally.

The whole ‘mountain spring’ mineral water thing is one of the biggest rip-offs in human history, as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The whole ‘mountain spring’ mineral water thing is one of the biggest rip-offs in human history, as far as I’m concerned.
Yep, here two big companies, one of coke drinks, and the other who makes chocolates, tried to sell tap water like spring water...

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
To get rid of chlorine, leaving the misting bottle open will do the job, and the chlorine will evaporate quickly.
This used to be true before water utility companies started using chloramines. However most places in the US use chloramine now in the water and that won't just evaporate away.
I normally use water conditioner that I use for the aquarium, like Prime or Amquel.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
This used to be true before water utility companies started using chloramines. However most places in the US use chloramine now in the water and that won't just evaporate away.
I normally use water conditioner that I use for the aquarium, like Prime or Amquel.
I mentioned chloramine and to check her water composition for that same reason. Here Europe, chlorine and chloramine are highly regulated. For example in my region, chloramine is banned.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I mentioned chloramine and to check her water composition for that same reason. Here Europe, chlorine and chloramine are highly regulated. For example in my region, chloramine is banned.
Lucky you! Here in my region they literally add fluoride to our water. So we get to drink it, cook with it, and bathe with it too.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I use an aquarium dechlorinator as well. It also deals with heavy metals in the water as well as chlorine/chloramine.