Drinking Water for Tarantulas?

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RoachGirlRen to be honest i have witnessed most of my T's drinkin on many occasions. . .also my A.Geniculata drinks almost daily as does one of my G.Rosea.. those particula 2 in my collection seem to drink loads more than eating for some reason, so some T's do drink quite heavily in my experience

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use Zoo Med Reptisafe for mine. I have it for our tortoise so I just use that for the Ts also. The bottle says good for arachnids.
You could let tap water sit for 24 hrs and a lot of the impurities will evaporate.
the water will evaporate but the chemicals cant. they are to heavy. have u ever put salt in water and let it evaporate? the salt stays behind.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i use distilled as our tap water is from a well and very hard, i did read that hard water can cause peat to 'decay' for want of a better description.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Of course, if you have a water softener on your tap, you don't have to worry at all. :)
or if you have water with a natural hardness of less than one grain per gallon you dont need a softener lol

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here you go. A very quick read and, at the bottom, there is a link to an animation of reverse osmosis in action!

http://www.geafiltration.com/technology/reverse_osmosis.asp

Even this should be able to keep your attention for a few minutes. ;)
i believe i understand now...i put a, say, a coffee filter in a cup, drop water in, and repeat for a while? if thats not right i might have to ask my science teacher tomorrow lol

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does it matter what type of water you use? Can it be from the tap or does it have to be purified a lot? i hope my question is easy to understand

I use purified only with ALL my animals , our water is clean but theres icky chem and bacteria that i dont want to take the chance.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A coffee filter is way too permeable for reverse osmosis to be effective. The 'holes' in it are simply too big. A semi-permeable membrane will allow certain molecules through but not others. A good example would be to create drinkable water from salt water. The semi-permeable membrane will allow the water molecules to pass to the other side but salt molecules can't.
Here is another cool article on reverse osmosis with a slightly better explanation (and some examples) of semi-permeable membranes.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/reverse-osmosis.htm

Thin film composite membranes are used in reverse osmosis systems. Check out this article for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semipermeable_membrane

I hope this helps, but do speak to your science teacher. He/she may even have some equipment to allow you to set up a quick experiment to see how it works. :)

i believe i understand now...i put a, say, a coffee filter in a cup, drop water in, and repeat for a while? if thats not right i might have to ask my science teacher tomorrow lol

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A coffee filter is way too permeable for reverse osmosis to be effective. The 'holes' in it are simply too big. A semi-permeable membrane will allow certain molecules through but not others. A good example would be to create drinkable water from salt water. The semi-permeable membrane will allow the water molecules to pass to the other side but salt molecules can't.
Here is another cool article on reverse osmosis with a slightly better explanation (and some examples) of semi-permeable membranes.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/reverse-osmosis.htm

Thin film composite membranes are used in reverse osmosis systems. Check out this article for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semipermeable_membrane

I hope this helps, but do speak to your science teacher. He/she may even have some equipment to allow you to set up a quick experiment to see how it works. :)
starting to grasp it much better, just out of curiosity, what type of semi-permeable membrane do you use?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I live in the city so my water is good. I use regular tap water for water bowls and moistening substrate.
I use store bought purified water to mist enclosures purely to avoid the deposits and the scale on the glass and plastic. Saves me having to wipe down the sides of the enclosures more often. :)

If I was to use a reverse osmosis system I would just purchase a small unit which would have the film composite membrane built into it.

On a related note, most large jugs (18L/4.73 Gallons) of water used for office water coolers are purified using reverse osmosis and cost only $7.50 (in Canadian dollars).

starting to grasp it much better, just out of curiosity, what type of semi-permeable membrane do you use?

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On a related note, most large jugs (18L/4.73 Gallons) of water used for office water coolers are purified using reverse osmosis and cost only $7.50 (in Canadian dollars).
wow, thats only $6.35 plus tax in USD not bad...thanks for the info

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I've used distilled only for a long while now with no problems.

Successful sacs etc,

As for the osmotic balance issues:

It was explained to me this way:

- Tap water is closer to pure than it is to the levels inside a cells.
For us it's 0.89% - is Isotonic

Fresh Water < 1500mg/L or 0.15%

So even "fresh Water" would have a similar pressure difference.

As for "Nutrients" and trace elements I can't say for sure.
But I'd also assume that the T's get most of those from the food they eat, more than the water. I gut load my crix with veggies, so maybe that helps?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brita isn't a reverse osmosis system (I thought this is water you were going for) but it will clean the water nonetheless. :)

oh btw i spoke to my teacher and she said just to get a Brita Filter