Drilling glass

TRection

Arachnoknight
Does anyone have experience drilling holes into a glass tank? and does anyone know where i can buy those plastic circular vents that you can pop into the aforementioned hole?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I drilled holes in a glass 10 gallon with some cheap ebay diamond hole saw bits. You just have to keep the bit wet while drilling, and obviously not press to hard. I had super cheap bits so the glass chipped some around the holes, but a quality diamond hole saw bit shouldn't do that. You also have to make sure the glass you're drilling isn't tempered, it'll shatter if it is.

Not too sure about the vents, but any lowes or home depot should have some.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I drilled holes in a glass 10 gallon with some cheap ebay diamond hole saw bits. You just have to keep the bit wet while drilling, and obviously not press to hard. I had super cheap bits so the glass chipped some around the holes, but a quality diamond hole saw bit shouldn't do that. You also have to make sure the glass you're drilling isn't tempered, it'll shatter if it is.

Not too sure about the vents, but any lowes or home depot should have some.
Sounds like i have to make a run to lowes :) thanks!

TRection

Arachnoknight
Np, just beware, the big diamond hole saws you'll need for those vents are like $30 at lowes. The vents are called soffit vents btw.
:) thanks, makes it easier for me to search now that i know what their actually called lol

Timc

Arachnosquire
Also make sure you clean up to the umpteenth degree afterwards. Those tiny shards can hide everywhere and be harmful to anything. Safety goggles and a mask are just the beginning, glasswork requires as much research as tarantula keeping! (I've been boned by OSHA before lol)

TRection

Arachnoknight
I may have found a cheaper way of doing this, My dad already has a diamond drill bit for glass about the thickness of a pencil. I was thinking of just drilling 9 holes (3 rows of 3) 1" apart rather than going and spending about 50-60 bucks for the hole saw and the vents. Would this work too?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I may have found a cheaper way of doing this, My dad already has a diamond drill bit for glass about the thickness of a pencil. I was thinking of just drilling 9 holes (3 rows of 3) 1" apart rather than going and spending about 50-60 bucks for the hole saw and the vents. Would this work too?
Sure will, as long as the bit is still good, and you take your time.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I ended up buying a 2" diamond whole saw and the soffit vents, i think it looks alot nicer and as this is the first time i have ever drilled glass i figured there was less of a change of me screwing up if i did 2 big holes instead of 18 little ones, the first one chipped out a little bit but the soffit vent covered that up and the second one is perfect, i sanded the endges and sealed it all with fish tank silicone. Thats one tank down, 2 more to go! thank you everyone for your help :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't forget modeling clay, you will need to make it seal for the water bath if your glass is thick. Look aquarium people, they do it all the time, not so common here.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Don't forget modeling clay, you will need to make it seal for the water bath if your glass is thick. Look aquarium people, they do it all the time, not so common here.
No worries its always finished :)